Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Minor annoyance with Thunderbird

Minor annoyance with Thunderbird

History Fan

I'm using the latest version of Thunderbird on my Windows XP SP2
computer. Outlook Express 6 is still my default email and newsgroup
program. However, I thought I would tinker around with this newest version
of Thunderbird.

One minor, but annoying feature remains with version 2.0. When I
installed Thunderbird, I had it import my old email messages, of which there
are several. When I receive a new email and open it with Thunderbird, this
new message is at the bottom of the screen, hidden (sometimes partially
hidden) behind the preview pane. I can easily find it by clicking the
scroll bar a few times, but I find that a tad annoying, and something I
never have to do with Outlook Express.

Is there a way to configure Thunderbird so that new messages are not
hidden behind the preview pane? I like the preview pane and would rather
not disable it.

On May 4, 4:42 pm, "History Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> I'm using the latest version of Thunderbird on my Windows XP SP2
> computer. Outlook Express 6 is still my default email and newsgroup
> program. However, I thought I would tinker around with this newest version
> of Thunderbird.
>
> One minor, but annoying feature remains with version 2.0. When I
> installed Thunderbird, I had it import my old email messages, of which there
> are several. When I receive a new email and open it with Thunderbird, this
> new message is at the bottom of the screen, hidden (sometimes partially
> hidden) behind the preview pane. I can easily find it by clicking the
> scroll bar a few times, but I find that a tad annoying, and something I
> never have to do with Outlook Express.
>
> Is there a way to configure Thunderbird so that new messages are not
> hidden behind the preview pane? I like the preview pane and would rather
> not disable it.

did you look under View, Sort By?

Did you try clicking on the Date column so new messages are on top?

History Fan

> did you look under View, Sort By?
>
> Did you try clicking on the Date column so new messages are on top?

Messages are sorted by date, which is what I want. And I prefer to
have the newest email messages at the bottom. So I guess there is nothing I
can do about this.

Ed Mullen

History Fan wrote:
>> did you look under View, Sort By?
>>
>> Did you try clicking on the Date column so new messages are on top?

> Messages are sorted by date, which is what I want. And I prefer to
> have the newest email messages at the bottom. So I guess there is nothing I
> can do about this.

the way it's supposed to work is that each time you click the Date
column header button the sort order reverses. That is, from A-Z to Z-A,
etc.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

On May 5, 3:26 am, "History Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> > did you look under View, Sort By?

> > Did you try clicking on the Date column so new messages are on top?

> Messages are sorted by date, which is what I want. And I prefer to
> have the newest email messages at the bottom. So I guess there is nothing I
> can do about this.

if you want them at the bottom, then how are you to see them? Try one
of the other settings under View, Layout and see what happens.

History Fan

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On May 5, 3:26 am, "History Fan" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>> > did you look under View, Sort By?

>> > Did you try clicking on the Date column so new messages are on top?

>> Messages are sorted by date, which is what I want. And I prefer to
>> have the newest email messages at the bottom. So I guess there is
>> nothing I
>> can do about this.

> if you want them at the bottom, then how are you to see them? Try one
> of the other settings under View, Layout and see what happens.

This is difficult to explain in writing. With my Outlook Express, new
emails are listed at the bottom of the list. When there are more email
messages in the window that can be displayed, the older messages are pushed
upward and you cannot see them unless you use the scroll bar. This format
means new messages are always available to see when they arrive, even if you
have 500 emails in your inbox. With Thunderbird, in an inbox with more
messages than can be displayed, new messages are pushed downward and are
hidden, and I have to scroll down to see them. Yes, there are other
layouts, but I'm not sure that would fix this.

Ed Mullen

History Fan wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>>> Messages are sorted by date, which is what I want. And I prefer to
>>> have the newest email messages at the bottom. So I guess there is
>>> nothing I
>>> can do about this.

>> if you want them at the bottom, then how are you to see them? Try one
>> of the other settings under View, Layout and see what happens.
>>

> This is difficult to explain in writing. With my Outlook Express, new
> emails are listed at the bottom of the list. When there are more email
> messages in the window that can be displayed, the older messages are pushed
> upward and you cannot see them unless you use the scroll bar. This format
> means new messages are always available to see when they arrive, even if you
> have 500 emails in your inbox. With Thunderbird, in an inbox with more
> messages than can be displayed, new messages are pushed downward and are
> hidden, and I have to scroll down to see them. Yes, there are other
> layouts, but I'm not sure that would fix this.

Aside from any other considerations, if you have 500 emails in your
Inbox, you are seriously deprived in terms of how to manage email. Not
to mention asking for a great calamity to befall you "pretty soon."

Hey, it's you mail program but, honestly, if you store everything in
your Inbox you are just asking for grief.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

History Fan

> Aside from any other considerations, if you have 500 emails in your Inbox,
> you are seriously deprived in terms of how to manage email. Not to
> mention asking for a great calamity to befall you "pretty soon."

I was just using the number 500 as an example. On average, I have
about 40 or so emails in my Inbox.

Minor XP annoyance Homer J. Simpson Windows 64bit 4 07-22-2007 08:16 PM
Minor Windows annoyance when starting up and shutting down Hungerdunger Computer Support 4 04-19-2006 08:19 PM
minor JAXP annoyance Bloody Viking XML 1 12-16-2004 09:21 PM
minor JAXP annoyance paulmlieberman@alum.mit.edu Java 0 12-15-2004 10:12 PM
LCD smudging minor annoyance Jeff Durham Digital Photography 3 06-14-2004 05:53 PM

Advertisments