Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > exam 70-291 subnetting help

exam 70-291 subnetting help

05-04-2007
Hi,
I'm studying for the 70-291 exam and I am having a little trouble understanding the idea of borrowing bits. I understand the subnet classes but am having trouble with a question like:

"You have a network address of 196.119.203.0 with a subnet mask of /27. How many usable hosts can you create with this networking scheme?"

I do not understand what the /27 represents or how to calculate how many hosts can be created.

I feel very confident with the rest of the material, but I am just having a hard grasping this concept or finding a web site that explains it starting with the basics.

Can anyone help explain this or know of a good web site where I can research this?

Thank you!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On