Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > exam 70-291 subnetting help

exam 70-291 subnetting help

sunnie38 sunnie38 is offline
Junior Member

Hi,
I'm studying for the 70-291 exam and I am having a little trouble understanding the idea of borrowing bits. I understand the subnet classes but am having trouble with a question like:

"You have a network address of 196.119.203.0 with a subnet mask of /27. How many usable hosts can you create with this networking scheme?"

I do not understand what the /27 represents or how to calculate how many hosts can be created.

I feel very confident with the rest of the material, but I am just having a hard grasping this concept or finding a web site that explains it starting with the basics.

Can anyone help explain this or know of a good web site where I can research this?

Thank you!