Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Replacement for HTMLGen?

Replacement for HTMLGen?

Joshua J. Kugler

I realize that in today's MVC-everything world, the mere mention of
generating HTML in the script is near heresy, but for now, it's what I ened
to do.

That said, can someone recommend a good replacement for HTMLGen? I've found
good words about it (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2986), but every
reference to it I find points to a non-existant page
(http://starship.python.net/lib.html is 404,
http://www.python2.net/lib.html is not responding,
http://starship.python.net/crew/frie...html/main.html is 404)
Found http://www.python.org/ftp/python/con...-1999/Network/, but
that seems a bit old.

I found http://dustman.net/andy/python/HyperText, but it's not listed in
Cheeseshop, and its latest release is over seven years ago. Granted, I
know HTML doesn't change (much) but it's at least nice to know something
you're going to be using is maintained.

Any suggestions or pointers?

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/ ┬*ID 0xDB26D7CE

Gabriel Genellina

En Thu, 03 May 2007 21:23:42 -0300, Joshua J. Kugler
<(E-Mail Removed)> escribiˇ:

> I found http://dustman.net/andy/python/HyperText, but it's not listed in
> Cheeseshop, and its latest release is over seven years ago. Granted, I
> know HTML doesn't change (much) but it's at least nice to know something
> you're going to be using is maintained.

I use HyperText, and if it's not maintained so much, it's because it does
not have to change.
BTW, it's amazing how much can you get from so many classes with just a
"pass" statement.

--
Gabriel Genellina

Tim Roberts

"Joshua J. Kugler" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I realize that in today's MVC-everything world, the mere mention of
>generating HTML in the script is near heresy, but for now, it's what I ened
>to do.
>
>That said, can someone recommend a good replacement for HTMLGen?

I used to be a huge fan of HTMLgen. I built a couple of web sites on them,
still in use 7 years later. However, in the time since then, I have come
to believe that templating is a better answer.

Now, the simple truth is that you need to use the scheme that makes sense
to you. For me, templating (Cheetah is my favorite,
www.cheetahtemplate.org) makes more sense than building the page bit by bit
in Python code, and the separation of function and presentation makes
things easier to maintain.

In my opinion, of course.
--
Tim Roberts, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.

Gerrit Muller

> That said, can someone recommend a good replacement for
> HTMLGen?

<...snip...>
> Granted, I know HTML doesn't change (much) but it's at least
> nice to know something you're going to be using is maintained.

<...snip...>

Joshua,

I am happily using HTMLgen. I do think that maintenance has not been
required, since HTML didn't change. It is pure Python, so it doesn't
require any recompilation for Python updates.

If you need HTMLgen send me an e-mail and I will send you a zipfile.

kind regards, Gerrit Muller

--
Gaudi systems architecting:
http://www.gaudisite.nl/

> That said, can someone recommend a good replacement for HTMLGen? I've found
> good words about it (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2986), but every
> reference to it I find points to a non-existant page
> (http://starship.python.net/lib.html is 404,
> http://www.python2.net/lib.html is not responding,
> http://starship.python.net/crew/frie...html/main.html is 404)
> Found http://www.python.org/ftp/python/con...-1999/Network/, but
> that seems a bit old.
>
> I found http://dustman.net/andy/python/HyperText, but it's not listed in
> Cheeseshop, and its latest release is over seven years ago. Granted, I
> know HTML doesn't change (much) but it's at least nice to know something
> you're going to be using is maintained.
>
> Any suggestions or pointers?

=?UTF-8?B?V2FsdGVyIETDtnJ3YWxk?=

Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> I realize that in today's MVC-everything world, the mere mention of
> generating HTML in the script is near heresy, but for now, it's what I ened
> to do.
>
> That said, can someone recommend a good replacement for HTMLGen? I've found
> good words about it (http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2986), but every
> reference to it I find points to a non-existant page
> (http://starship.python.net/lib.html is 404,
> http://www.python2.net/lib.html is not responding,
> http://starship.python.net/crew/frie...html/main.html is 404)
> Found http://www.python.org/ftp/python/con...-1999/Network/, but
> that seems a bit old.
>
> I found http://dustman.net/andy/python/HyperText, but it's not listed in
> Cheeseshop, and its latest release is over seven years ago. Granted, I
> know HTML doesn't change (much) but it's at least nice to know something
> you're going to be using is maintained.
>
> Any suggestions or pointers?

You might try XIST:
http://www.livinglogic.de/Python/xist/