Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Recovering erased photos

Recovering erased photos

il barbi

By using a recovery utility (PC Inspector File Recovery free) I was able to
recover most of the .jpg's I had unfortunately erased in my digital camera.
Now some of the .jpg's cannot be viewed by the WinXP viewer, yet their
preview is correctly displayed by the File Manager. By trying with Photoshop
I can see a part of the photo, usually a strip of about half the photo. Is
there a way of fully recovering the .jpg's?
il barbi

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

On Thu, 3 May 2007 23:49:44 +0200, in rec.photo.digital "il barbi"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>By using a recovery utility (PC Inspector File Recovery free) I was able to
>recover most of the .jpg's I had unfortunately erased in my digital camera.
>Now some of the .jpg's cannot be viewed by the WinXP viewer, yet their
>preview is correctly displayed by the File Manager. By trying with Photoshop
>I can see a part of the photo, usually a strip of about half the photo. Is
>there a way of fully recovering the .jpg's?

Since you are on a Windows box, you might give Irfanview a try, as it's
free. Various programs do various things when they encounter an error or
bad data in a jpg. But if the data is corrupt, there is not much you can do
with it. The thumbs are a small part in the file and a separate small
image, so the thumb portion may be intact although the rest whole main
image isn't.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))