Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Getting on line with Laptop

Getting on line with Laptop

flatowebstats@gmail.com

I work at a number of different locations and am having trouble
getting online at one location. It is a regular (non-wireless)
network. With my current settings (automatically Obtain IP, etc.),
other laptops get online from this location and I am able to get
online at other locations.

I have disabled firewalls, manually entered IP, DNS, subnet, etc., and
even tried to reset the system to an earlier date when the laptop
could get online from this location (it worked consistently for 5
months).

There is one other co-worker who is experiencing the same problem, but
it is not any specific connection in the office and all other laptops
and desktops are having no problems. The computer says that it is
connected, but there is not internet activity or email coming in.

HELP!

Evan Platt

On 3 May 2007 14:29:52 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>I work at a number of different locations and am having trouble
>getting online at one location. It is a regular (non-wireless)
>network. With my current settings (automatically Obtain IP, etc.),
>other laptops get online from this location and I am able to get
>online at other locations.
>
>I have disabled firewalls, manually entered IP, DNS, subnet, etc., and
>even tried to reset the system to an earlier date when the laptop
>could get online from this location (it worked consistently for 5
>months).
>
>There is one other co-worker who is experiencing the same problem, but
>it is not any specific connection in the office and all other laptops
>and desktops are having no problems. The computer says that it is
>connected, but there is not internet activity or email coming in.

You haven't given enough details for anyone to help.

Is this laptop a mac? PC? Is this a public hotspot? A office network?
Why are you manually entering the IP? Does it not get a DHCP address?
Can you ping the default gateway? Can you ping the DNS server? Can you
manually get to a website by entering the IP in your web browser?