Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Real Time Battle and Python

Real Time Battle and Python

hg

Hi,

I have started to work on a python-based robot, and am interested in your
feedback:

http://realtimebattle.sourceforge.net/
www.snakecard.com/rtb

hg

Matimus

On May 3, 5:20 am, hg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have started to work on a python-based robot, and am interested in your
> feedback:
>
> http://realtimebattle.sourceforge.ne...kecard.com/rtb
>
> hg

This is not necessarily a response to your effort, but just a note
(rant) about realtimebattle. It reminds me more of homework in 300 and
400 level college engineering classes than a game. Based upon my
previous effort and realizations, I found realtimebattle coding to be,
from a programming perspective, an exercise in protocol implementation
first. Once the protocol work is done you need to implement control
algorithms for movement and enemy tracking. Think PID algorithms
(Proportional, Integral and Differential). Only when the protocol and
control portions are done can you focus on strategy and play the game.
You should also note, however, that the first two tasks are quite
daunting. And the second is difficult to get right. I found the whole
process to be very tiring and not very rewarding. I don't mean to
discourage you, I just think it would be more fun to write my own game
than to 'play' that one.

A better game, from a programming perspective, would be
"discretetimebattle". Where each player controls their robot with
second order parameters (velocity not force), the world has no third
order effects (friction) and the time is discrete. Discrete time
meaneing that the protocol updates every player at regular intervals
with the same information and, in terms of the simulation, each update
represents a set time delta.

I would be interested to know if anybody else has played, or tried to
play, realtimebattle and has similar sentiments.

I do wish you luck though. If you get a robot working you are a far
more dedicated and patient individual than me.

-Matt

hg

Matimus wrote:

> On May 3, 5:20 am, hg <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have started to work on a python-based robot, and am interested in your
>> feedback:
>>
>> http://realtimebattle.sourceforge.ne...kecard.com/rtb
>>
>> hg

> This is not necessarily a response to your effort, but just a note
> (rant) about realtimebattle. It reminds me more of homework in 300 and
> 400 level college engineering classes than a game. Based upon my
> previous effort and realizations, I found realtimebattle coding to be,
> from a programming perspective, an exercise in protocol implementation
> first. Once the protocol work is done you need to implement control
> algorithms for movement and enemy tracking. Think PID algorithms
> (Proportional, Integral and Differential). Only when the protocol and
> control portions are done can you focus on strategy and play the game.
> You should also note, however, that the first two tasks are quite
> daunting. And the second is difficult to get right. I found the whole
> process to be very tiring and not very rewarding. I don't mean to
> discourage you, I just think it would be more fun to write my own game
> than to 'play' that one.
>
> A better game, from a programming perspective, would be
> "discretetimebattle". Where each player controls their robot with
> second order parameters (velocity not force), the world has no third
> order effects (friction) and the time is discrete. Discrete time
> meaneing that the protocol updates every player at regular intervals
> with the same information and, in terms of the simulation, each update
> represents a set time delta.
>
> I would be interested to know if anybody else has played, or tried to
> play, realtimebattle and has similar sentiments.
>
> I do wish you luck though. If you get a robot working you are a far
> more dedicated and patient individual than me.
>
> -Matt

I do try to separate the "engine" from the "driver". Yes the engine is a
pain to code and the documentation quite skimpy (have to got through C
headers to understand the command set) ... still I'll try to finish it.

hg