Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computer Certification > MCSE > Re: DOMAIN CONTROLLERS

Re: DOMAIN CONTROLLERS

Dragon

Make both servers GCs. When your first DC fails, all your 'everyday' stuff
will work on the second server. If the first one is gone down temporarily,
then don't worry about anything. If it is permanent, then you can bring all
your FSMO roles on the secondary.

"jackal_esa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi there,
> i want to ask you about some thing in windows 2000 server.
> i am going to build a domain and i will have two domain
> controllers,my question is i want to make one of the two
> DCs is backup for the other.which mean that it will not be
> a matter of just authentication only.
> i know that the second domain controller can be used to
> authenticate users with the first domain controller bu6t i
> want the second DC replace the first DC in case that the
> first failed for any reason, so can i do anything to make
> the two server typical run the same software(i.e if i
> install any thing on the first i want it to be replicated
> to the other one so if the first failed, the second can
> perform every thing the first was doing.can i do this with
> out any cluster software or i have to use cluster software?
> i mean that all i can do with out the cluster software is
> that both DCs can authenticate the users in the domain and
> i need cluster software to make one of them is backup from
> the other when it fails it work instead of it?
> thank you for your time and your help.
> M_ESA
>

> Expand AllCollapse All
> --
> THE_JACKAL

Dragon

If you do not want to do simple clustering, then what you are looking for is
called Server Mirroring. There are lots of different products out there for
this purpose. Google for server mirroring and you shall see. FYI, Server
mirroring can be expensive as you have redundant hardware (Full servers) and
you have to pay for expensive software to mirror them.

"jackal_esa" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hi dragon thank you very much for your help.
> but what i am asking for is, if for example i install office 2000 on the
> first server (1st DC)is there any way to make this installation go to the

2nd
> server with out cluster software and ofcourse with out install the same
> software installed on the 2nd server(DC) so in case that the first server
> fails the second one will re[place its place directly and provide all THE
> NETWORKING SERVICES AND ALL OTHER SOFTWARE products that were already
> installed on the first server.
> did you understand me Dragon? i want to typical servers in case one failed

> will find another one in its place. i do not want the other to perform the
> networking missons only, no all the services, software ,programs,... that

run