Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Setup Under Maintenance page for asp.net website

Setup Under Maintenance page for asp.net website

vikramp

Hi,

I want to know how to setup the "Under Maintenance" page for the
website?

Here is the thing:

I have application setting in web.config called "MMode". I set it to
"Y" when I need to do site maintenance such as changes in the backend
database, etc.
Then inside aspx pages, I check if MMode is set to "Y" and if so, I
redirect to the custom under maintenance page.

This is all fine as long as website is running.
But now if the website is Stopped inside IIS itself, it will not
redirect to the under maintenance page since website is not running at
all.

So in such situation how do I notify users that the site is down for
maintenance by displaying custom page?

Thanks in advance.

Vikram

Alexey Smirnov

On May 3, 4:57 pm, vikramp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to know how to setup the "Under Maintenance" page for the
> website?
>
> Here is the thing:
>
> I have application setting in web.config called "MMode". I set it to
> "Y" when I need to do site maintenance such as changes in the backend
> database, etc.
> Then inside aspx pages, I check if MMode is set to "Y" and if so, I
> redirect to the custom under maintenance page.
>
> This is all fine as long as website is running.
> But now if the website is Stopped inside IIS itself, it will not
> redirect to the under maintenance page since website is not running at
> all.
>
> So in such situation how do I notify users that the site is down for
> maintenance by displaying custom page?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Vikram

Why it has to be stopped?

vikramp

On May 3, 2:59 pm, Alexey Smirnov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 3, 4:57 pm, vikramp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Hi,

> > I want to know how to setup the "Under Maintenance" page for the
> > website?

> > Here is the thing:

> > I have application setting in web.config called "MMode". I set it to
> > "Y" when I need to do site maintenance such as changes in the backend
> > database, etc.
> > Then inside aspx pages, I check if MMode is set to "Y" and if so, I
> > redirect to the custom under maintenance page.

> > This is all fine as long as website is running.
> > But now if the website is Stopped inside IIS itself, it will not
> > redirect to the under maintenance page since website is not running at
> > all.

> > So in such situation how do I notify users that the site is down for
> > maintenance by displaying custom page?

> > Thanks in advance.

> > Vikram

> Why it has to be stopped?- Hide quoted text -

Well... it has not been stopped. It is working fine.
But it will be stopped periodically for maintenance and during this
time if any user tries to visit the site, it will just display default
IIS error page. I want to avoid that and display some custom error
page that says Site is under Maintenance.

Thanks.

Alexey Smirnov

On May 4, 5:15 pm, vikramp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On May 3, 2:59 pm, Alexey Smirnov <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > On May 3, 4:57 pm, vikramp <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > > Hi,

> > > I want to know how to setup the "Under Maintenance" page for the
> > > website?

> > > Here is the thing:

> > > I have application setting in web.config called "MMode". I set it to
> > > "Y" when I need to do site maintenance such as changes in the backend
> > > database, etc.
> > > Then inside aspx pages, I check if MMode is set to "Y" and if so, I
> > > redirect to the custom under maintenance page.

> > > This is all fine as long as website is running.
> > > But now if the website is Stopped inside IIS itself, it will not
> > > redirect to the under maintenance page since website is not running at
> > > all.

> > > So in such situation how do I notify users that the site is down for
> > > maintenance by displaying custom page?

> > > Thanks in advance.

> > > Vikram

> > Why it has to be stopped?- Hide quoted text -

> Well... it has not been stopped. It is working fine.
> But it will be stopped periodically for maintenance and during this
> time if any user tries to visit the site, it will just display default
> IIS error page. I want to avoid that and display some custom error
> page that says Site is under Maintenance.
>
> Thanks.- Hide quoted text -

I think the only way is to have a second site with the same host
header.