Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Password on email

Password on email

sazvedo

Using WindowsXP Home, IE 7 and OE6.0

How do I put a password on my email? Too many nosey eyes.

Gordon

"sazvedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EWg_h.405427$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using WindowsXP Home, IE 7 and OE6.0
>
> How do I put a password on my email? Too many nosey eyes.

You can password protect your Identity in OE, or, when you leave the
machine, lock the screen by pressing WinKey-L. (Assuming your User account
has a password....)

sazvedo

news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
"sazvedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EWg_h.405427$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using WindowsXP Home, IE 7 and OE6.0
>
> How do I put a password on my email? Too many nosey eyes.

You can password protect your Identity in OE, or, when you leave the
machine, lock the screen by pressing WinKey-L. (Assuming your User account
has a password....)

Gordon,

How do I do it from OE?

Gordon

"sazvedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:L7h_h.405480$(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> "sazvedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:EWg_h.405427$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Using WindowsXP Home, IE 7 and OE6.0
>>
>> How do I put a password on my email? Too many nosey eyes.
>>

> You can password protect your Identity in OE, or, when you leave the
> machine, lock the screen by pressing WinKey-L. (Assuming your User account
> has a password....)
>
> Gordon,
>
> How do I do it from OE?

File-Identities-Manage Identities. Highlight the Identity you wish to put a
password on. Click Properties. Check the box "Require a password".
There is one drawback with this - it will NOT stop people looking at your
email if OE is open, it will only prevent people from opening OE. You need
to combine it with a password-protected User account and either Winkey-L or
the screensaver.

Emmanuel Debrosse

I'd just password protect the user account and lock windows when I step
away.

"sazvedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:EWg_h.405427$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Using WindowsXP Home, IE 7 and OE6.0
>
> How do I put a password on my email? Too many nosey eyes.

Mike Easter

sazvedo wrote:
> Using WindowsXP Home, IE 7 and OE6.0
>
> How do I put a password on my email? Too many nosey eyes.

That question isn't clear to me without some clarification.

What are the circumstances involving 'nosey eyes'? That is, wis the
nature of the insecurity of your mail? Do you walk away from your
computer with OE open? Do you walk away from your computer logged in to
Windows?

Are you sharing your computer with other people? Do other people with
whom you are not sharing your computer have physical access to your
computer? Are you sharing your windows login with other people?

Are you concerned about securing the content of the mail that you send
to others - password protecting it on the receiving end?

--
Mike Easter