Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PC Suddenly Slow to Respond

PC Suddenly Slow to Respond

kfogle

Just recently, my PC has decided to take 4-5 seconds to do anything!
I have long pauses in the middle of whatever I am doing (whether on
the internet, or working in Excel or Dreamweaver) while my computer
catches up. Switching windows, hovering over a link on the internet,
entering a number in Excel, typing a letter, opening the start menu,
opening a right-click menu... all of these things are being subject to
the same slow-down.

My computer (3 years old) has plenty of hard-drive space, 2.16 GHz
processor, 768MB Ram and a 1-year old, nice, gaming video card.

So far I have ran a Virus Scan and defragmented my hard disk, but
neither thing has helped.

Is there something in particular that this symptom points to? Can
someone give me a test to run to see if I have a hardware issue? Any
help is truly appreciated.

kfogle

I should also mention that I'm running Windows XP with Office 2003
Professional. And that I have looked for any critical updates to my
Microsoft products and it appears that I'm up-to-date.

Thanks much!

Old Gringo

On Or About 2 May 2007 19:17:06 -0700, Without Any Hesitation Or
Thinking Twice, kfogle Stumbled Over To The Keyboard And wrote The

> Just recently, my PC has decided to take 4-5 seconds to do anything!
> I have long pauses in the middle of whatever I am doing (whether on
> the internet, or working in Excel or Dreamweaver) while my computer
> catches up. Switching windows, hovering over a link on the internet,
> entering a number in Excel, typing a letter, opening the start menu,
> opening a right-click menu... all of these things are being subject to
> the same slow-down.
>
> My computer (3 years old) has plenty of hard-drive space, 2.16 GHz
> processor, 768MB Ram and a 1-year old, nice, gaming video card.
>
> So far I have ran a Virus Scan and defragmented my hard disk, but
> neither thing has helped.
>
> Is there something in particular that this symptom points to? Can
> someone give me a test to run to see if I have a hardware issue? Any
> help is truly appreciated.

Basic maintenance: cookies, history, temp files, cache. all can
effect the speed of your computer. ??
http://pcpitstop.com
--
Just West Of Nowhere
Enjoy Life And Live It To Its Fullest

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

kfogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Just recently, my PC has decided to take 4-5 seconds to do anything!
>I have long pauses in the middle of whatever I am doing (whether on
>the internet, or working in Excel or Dreamweaver) while my computer
>catches up. Switching windows, hovering over a link on the internet,
>entering a number in Excel, typing a letter, opening the start menu,
>opening a right-click menu... all of these things are being subject to
>the same slow-down.

>Is there something in particular that this symptom points to? Can
>someone give me a test to run to see if I have a hardware issue? Any
>help is truly appreciated.

Download and run Process Monitor http://tinyurl.com/yw6ylv
Things you know aren't causing problems add to the filter list to
unclutter the output. When things hang the output will hang at the
problem or be unsuccessful.

Check out the other Utilities offered at that site, like Process
Explorer.

--
Evil Ka
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TvtzEgFBl3I

Old Gringo

On Or About Wed, 02 May 2007 20:33:41 -0700, Without Any Hesitation
Or Thinking Twice, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) Stumbled Over To The
Keyboard And wrote The Following In The 24hoursupport.helpdesk News
Group:

> kfogle <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>Just recently, my PC has decided to take 4-5 seconds to do anything!
>>I have long pauses in the middle of whatever I am doing (whether on
>>the internet, or working in Excel or Dreamweaver) while my computer
>>catches up. Switching windows, hovering over a link on the internet,
>>entering a number in Excel, typing a letter, opening the start menu,
>>opening a right-click menu... all of these things are being subject to
>>the same slow-down.

>>Is there something in particular that this symptom points to? Can
>>someone give me a test to run to see if I have a hardware issue? Any
>>help is truly appreciated.

> Download and run Process Monitor http://tinyurl.com/yw6ylv
> Things you know aren't causing problems add to the filter list to
> unclutter the output. When things hang the output will hang at the
> problem or be unsuccessful.
>
> Check out the other Utilities offered at that site, like Process
> Explorer.

Very interesting, thanks for the link.
--
Just West Of Nowhere