Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Recycle Bin sort order

Recycle Bin sort order

John Dean

Running Windows XP Home SP2.
I want Recycle Bin to sort files into name order but it won't do so. This
isn't to do with the weird way XP handles file names, it's something quite
different. I check "List" on the "View" menu and "Arrange Icons by ... name"
on the menu and they arrange themselves as required - so the first file in
the list is

[uk_misc ... .txt

and the last is

Zodiac ... .jpg

All correct there (the square bracket is part of the name of the first file)

I close Recycle Bin and reopen and both those files have migrated to the
body of the list. Now the first file is

alt.fan ....bak

(the second is Urban ... .mht)

And the last file is now

tuph ... .jpg

But the menu still shows that "View by list" and "Arrange Icons by ... name"
are checked.

It's annoying because I sometimes want to go into the Recycle Bin to
retrieve a file and I want to find it by name in the list. So how can I get
the files to stay sorted in alphanumeric order?
--
John Dean
Oxford

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"John Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>It's annoying because I sometimes want to go into the Recycle Bin to
>retrieve a file and I want to find it by name in the list. So how can I get
>the files to stay sorted in alphanumeric order?

Recycle is just another explorer window; to change it without third
party help, you need to change all your explorer windows behavior.

Recycle window, set it up the way you want, then under Tools > Folder
Options > View - select apply to all folders.
--
Digg.com hacks itself
http://tinyurl.com/yogmrz

Jan B

"John Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Running Windows XP Home SP2.
> I want Recycle Bin to sort files into name order but it won't do so.
> This isn't to do with the weird way XP handles file names, it's
> something quite different. I check "List" on the "View" menu and
> "Arrange Icons by ... name" on the menu and they arrange themselves
> as required - so the first file in the list is
> <CUT>
> It's annoying because I sometimes want to go into the Recycle Bin to
> retrieve a file and I want to find it by name in the list. So how
> can I get the files to stay sorted in alphanumeric order?
> --
> John Dean
> Oxford

The recycle bin is a special explorer window. It is always sorted on
date and time of entry into it.
When you are looking at it, you can temporarily sort it other
sequences.
--
Kind Regards,
Jan B.

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"Jan B" <jan.brul NO @ xs4 SPAM all.nl> wrote:

>The recycle bin is a special explorer window. It is always sorted on
>date and time of entry into it.
>When you are looking at it, you can temporarily sort it other
>sequences.

Tools > Folder Options > View - select apply to all folders.

Works on the recycle bin to sort by name, as much as I hated to I
tested it out.

Alpha sort, out of date order even after a reboot.
--
http://www.onahorse.com/

John Dean

Jan B wrote:
> "John Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> schreef in bericht
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Running Windows XP Home SP2.
>> I want Recycle Bin to sort files into name order but it won't do so.
>> This isn't to do with the weird way XP handles file names, it's
>> something quite different. I check "List" on the "View" menu and
>> "Arrange Icons by ... name" on the menu and they arrange themselves
>> as required - so the first file in the list is
>> <CUT>
>> It's annoying because I sometimes want to go into the Recycle Bin to
>> retrieve a file and I want to find it by name in the list. So how
>> can I get the files to stay sorted in alphanumeric order?
>> --

> The recycle bin is a special explorer window. It is always sorted on
> date and time of entry into it.
> When you are looking at it, you can temporarily sort it other
> sequences.

Nope. I checked mine and the dates of deletion of the first four files are
April 14, 16, 24 and 26. The dates of deletion of the last four files are
all April 19. And scattered between these are files deleted on May 1 and May
2 as well as 30 April and others. Whatever order I set while I'm looking in
the window, that's what they revert to the instant I close it.
I can't see any sequence logic in the way the files are ordered in my Bin -
they're not in alphanumeric (forward or reverse), they're not by type (Word
files are scattered throughout as are .jpgs and .mhts, They're not by date
of deletion, original location, type or anything else.
--
John Dean
Oxford

John Dean

> "Jan B" <jan.brul NO @ xs4 SPAM all.nl> wrote:
>
>> The recycle bin is a special explorer window. It is always sorted on
>> date and time of entry into it.
>> When you are looking at it, you can temporarily sort it other
>> sequences.

> Tools > Folder Options > View - select apply to all folders.
>
> Works on the recycle bin to sort by name, as much as I hated to I
> tested it out.
>
> Alpha sort, out of date order even after a reboot.

I may come to this before too long. But all my other windows are in alphanum
order, exactly as I want them. And I recollect last time I used the "apply
to all folders" command I got screwed up much worse than I am now. Thanks
anyway.
--
John Dean
Oxford

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

"John Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> "Jan B" <jan.brul NO @ xs4 SPAM all.nl> wrote:
>>
>>> The recycle bin is a special explorer window. It is always sorted on
>>> date and time of entry into it.
>>> When you are looking at it, you can temporarily sort it other
>>> sequences.

>> Tools > Folder Options > View - select apply to all folders.
>>
>> Works on the recycle bin to sort by name, as much as I hated to I
>> tested it out.
>>
>> Alpha sort, out of date order even after a reboot.

>I may come to this before too long. But all my other windows are in alphanum
>order, exactly as I want them. And I recollect last time I used the "apply
>to all folders" command I got screwed up much worse than I am now. Thanks
>anyway.

Ya, I hate testing good advice, it always hurts.

Now my Recycle bin comes up sorted by name and not date.

I have a third party program (PowerPro) rather than mess with the
registry - whenever the recycle window shows up PowerPro sorts it by
deletion date. painless.

You can do the same thing with a macro.
Google: keyboard macro

Find one that can detect an open window and you won't have to hit any
hot keys.

--
http://www.onahorse.com/

Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>You can do the same thing with a macro.
>Google: keyboard macro

To add.

Open your Recycle window (really any explorer window)
Hold down the ALT key then V then I then how you want it sorted -
notice each option has a letter underlined that's the letter you would
hit.

So to sort by date in a Macro program you would you would sent
<ALT>,V,I,D to the window.

--
Evil Ka
http://youtube.com/watch?v=TvtzEgFBl3I

John Dean

(E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
>> You can do the same thing with a macro.
>> Google: keyboard macro

> To add.
>
> Open your Recycle window (really any explorer window)
> Hold down the ALT key then V then I then how you want it sorted -
> notice each option has a letter underlined that's the letter you would
> hit.
>
> So to sort by date in a Macro program you would you would sent
> <ALT>,V,I,D to the window.

That's probably my best bet. Thanks
--
John Dean
Oxford

Gem

> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>>
>>> You can do the same thing with a macro.
>>> Google: keyboard macro

>> To add.
>>
>> Open your Recycle window (really any explorer window)
>> Hold down the ALT key then V then I then how you want it sorted -
>> notice each option has a letter underlined that's the letter you would
>> hit.
>>
>> So to sort by date in a Macro program you would you would sent
>> <ALT>,V,I,D to the window.

> That's probably my best bet. Thanks

you can always just click the title of each column you have set up and
it will sort that way too.