Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Wireless Router Near Speakers?

Wireless Router Near Speakers?

Pegleg

Need to move my router for better coverage in the house. Is placing it
near (within 18") speakers for my home theater system a bad idea
interference-wise?

TIA

Jack \(MVP-Networking\).

Hi
If it is a huge Speakers with unshielded huge Magnet it might affect. If
you put the Antenna above the speakers it would be OK.
Jack (MVP-Networking).

"Pegleg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Need to move my router for better coverage in the house. Is placing it
> near (within 18") speakers for my home theater system a bad idea
> interference-wise?
>
> TIA

Lem

Pegleg wrote:
> Need to move my router for better coverage in the house. Is placing it
> near (within 18") speakers for my home theater system a bad idea
> interference-wise?
>
> TIA

A wireless network uses radio communication -- electromagnetic waves. A
speaker uses magnets to create sound (air pressure waves). The bigger
and better the speaker, the bigger and stronger the magnets. The
magnets and the electrical signals used to control them create an
electromagnetic field.

That said, most high quality speakers are shielded (especially speakers
intended to be used near computers), so that the electromagnetic fields
created by the speaker don't extend far, if at all, outside the speaker
enclosure.

Furthermore, the interference caused by speakers typically has more of
an effect on TV/monitor screens (which also use magnets to control the
display) than on wifi radios. Your wifi network is more likely to
suffer from interference from 2.4 GHz cordless telephones, Bluetooth
devices, microwave ovens, fluorescent lights, various wireless remote
controllers, and so on.

The best answer is to try it out. If placing the router where you want
to place it gives you the coverage you're looking for, then do it.
Otherwise, you'll have to try again.

--
Lem MS MVP -- Networking