Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Unable to connect to NEWS Groups in Arizona

Unable to connect to NEWS Groups in Arizona

BERNICE JOHNSON

Why is it can use the news groups while I am in the area of my mail server
but not while out of state using Qwest's broadband to connect to the
internet in Arizona?

Vanguard

"BERNICE JOHNSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Why is it can use the news groups while I am in the area of my mail
> server but not while out of state using Qwest's broadband to connect
> to the internet in Arizona?

Probably because when you are on Qwest then Verizon hasn't a clue who
you are. You are just another hacker wannabe trying to get at their
resources for which you do not have permission. Ask Verizon. Might be
that you MUST be on their network so they know you are one of their
customers who have permission to use their resources. Some NNTP servers
don't care from where you connect as long as you provide valid login
credentials. Since credentials can be hacked, like using keyloggers at
those cafes where you got temporary Internet access, they figure that
login credentials are not sufficient to identify who you are and that
you are one of their legitimate customers. So they may also require
that you be on THEIR network using those login credentials. If you turn
out to be hacking into someone else's account, they'll have a better
capability of tracking the offender.

Although a reader might conclude that "the area of your mail server"
means Verizon, you don't really say that. So is Verizon your mail
provider and also the one with whom you have an Internet account for
access and includes NNTP service? If so, what did they say when you
call them? Have you checked their FAQ or help web pages to see if they
already addressed your issue?

Tester

On Tue, 01 May 2007 23:27:04 GMT, "BERNICE JOHNSON"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Why is it can use the news groups while I am in the area of my mail server
>but not while out of state using Qwest's broadband to connect to the
>internet in Arizona?

If you're using the Verizon news server it only accepts connections
from within Verizon's network.

WhzzKdd

"BERNICE JOHNSON" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Why is it can use the news groups while I am in the area of my mail server
> but not while out of state using Qwest's broadband to connect to the
> internet in Arizona?

That could be because there IS no news in Arizona.

Kind of like that little town just outside of Portland Oregon: Boring.

Blinky the Shark

BERNICE JOHNSON wrote:
> Why is it can use the news groups while I am in the area of my mail server
> but not while out of state using Qwest's broadband to connect to the
> internet in Arizona?

For the record, newsgroups have nothing do do with email.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups

Whiskers

On 2007-05-01, BERNICE JOHNSON <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Why is it can use the news groups while I am in the area of my mail server
> but not while out of state using Qwest's broadband to connect to the
> internet in Arizona?

Most ISP's news-servers are available only to people using that ISP's
internet connections. So when you connect using Qwest you won't have
access to Verizon's news-server - but you may well have access to Qwest's
news-server.

There are public news-servers you can access from any internet connection;
most of them require payment. A web search will get you a good number of
possibilities; I can recommend the text-groups-only service I use which
you can read about at <http://www.individual.net/>.

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Blinky the Shark

Whiskers wrote:
> On 2007-05-01, BERNICE JOHNSON <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Why is it can use the news groups while I am in the area of my mail server
>> but not while out of state using Qwest's broadband to connect to the
>> internet in Arizona?

> Most ISP's news-servers are available only to people using that ISP's
> internet connections. So when you connect using Qwest you won't have
> access to Verizon's news-server - but you may well have access to Qwest's
> news-server.
>
> There are public news-servers you can access from any internet connection;
> most of them require payment. A web search will get you a good number of
> possibilities; I can recommend the text-groups-only service I use which
> you can read about at <http://www.individual.net/>.

/me anticipates OP's next crisis

That one is only ABOUT A DOLLAR A MONTH.