Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Connection timed out.

Connection timed out.

Bryan Jones

Thanks for the advice and help on setting up TB.
I have now succeeded in configuring both incoming and outgoing server
and all seems to be working satisfactorily.
The main problem seemed to be with the 'smtp.mail. setting.
Thanks particularly to Bassbag for his patience and comments.

Bryan Jones

In message <(E-Mail Removed)>, Bryan Jones
<(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Thanks for the advice and help on setting up TB.
>I have now succeeded in configuring both incoming and outgoing server
>and all seems to be working satisfactorily.
>The main problem seemed to be with the 'smtp.mail. setting.
>Thanks particularly to Bassbag for his patience and comments.

Forgot to mention the most important benefit of getting the settings
right.
My main, and first, problem which was getting the 'connection timed out'
window every time I tried to do something, has completely disappeared.
Nice when things go right after trying for so long.
--
Best Wishes
Bryan T U R N P I K E

jones

Please Bryan, what did you change that made the difference. I am still
getting that window. Although mine is for websites not emails, as I work on
Yahoo mail only.

I am glad one of us had some succes with that annoying window.
Thanks
Katherine

>>I have now succeeded in configuring both incoming and outgoing server and
>>all seems to be working satisfactorily.
>>The main problem seemed to be with the 'smtp.mail. setting.

> Forgot to mention the most important benefit of getting the settings
> right.
> My main, and first, problem which was getting the 'connection timed out'
> window every time I tried to do something, has completely disappeared.
> Nice when things go right after trying for so long.
> --
> Best Wishes
> Bryan T U R N P I K E

bassbag

In article <4637e408$0$17250$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) says...
> Please Bryan, what did you change that made the difference. I am still
> getting that window. Although mine is for websites not emails, as I work on
> Yahoo mail only.
>
> I am glad one of us had some succes with that annoying window.
> Thanks
> Katherine

Time outs on websites can be caused by a few things such as the actual
website is unavailable,your MTU setting may be to high ,or you have
blocked ICMP ping in your firewall ,that disables path MTU discovery.What
OS are you using?What ISP are you on?.What router are you using?.Do you
have ICMP ping blocked in your router?.
me

Bryan Jones

Katherine,

I'm not really able to help you much as I do not get the 'connection
timed out' messages when visiting web sites, and, so far as I can
remember,never did.
Eventually, all I did to get all the options working in TB was to ensure
that I specified, in the outgoing server settings,
'smtp.mail.btinternet' which is my isp.
I'm sorry that I cannot be of more help, but I know that Bassbag's
advice and patience is most useful and relevant.

jones wrote:
> Please Bryan, what did you change that made the difference. I am still
> getting that window. Although mine is for websites not emails, as I work on
> Yahoo mail only.
>
> I am glad one of us had some succes with that annoying window.
> Thanks
> Katherine
>
>>> I have now succeeded in configuring both incoming and outgoing server and
>>> all seems to be working satisfactorily.
>>> The main problem seemed to be with the 'smtp.mail. setting.

>> Forgot to mention the most important benefit of getting the settings
>> right.
>> My main, and first, problem which was getting the 'connection timed out'
>> window every time I tried to do something, has completely disappeared.
>> Nice when things go right after trying for so long.
>> --
>> Best Wishes
>> Bryan T U R N P I K E

jones

Yes I too am glad we have patient people in the world

Sorry don't know what MTU is/are or what ICMP means.

My ISP is iinet (in Australia) and as far as I was aware a router is for
more than one computer? Is that right.

Thanks again for any help
Katherine

> Time outs on websites can be caused by a few things such as the actual
> website is unavailable,your MTU setting may be to high ,or you have
> blocked ICMP ping in your firewall ,that disables path MTU discovery.What
> OS are you using?What ISP are you on?.What router are you using?.Do you
> have ICMP ping blocked in your router?.
> me

Leonidas Jones

jones wrote:
> Yes I too am glad we have patient people in the world
>
> Sorry don't know what MTU is/are or what ICMP means.
>
> My ISP is iinet (in Australia) and as far as I was aware a router is for
> more than one computer? Is that right.
>
> Thanks again for any help
> Katherine
>

>> Time outs on websites can be caused by a few things such as the actual
>> website is unavailable,your MTU setting may be to high ,or you have
>> blocked ICMP ping in your firewall ,that disables path MTU discovery.What
>> OS are you using?What ISP are you on?.What router are you using?.Do you
>> have ICMP ping blocked in your router?.
>> me

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_transmission_unit

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interne...ssage_Protocol

While the primary function of a router is to network computers, it also
functions as a hardware firewall. I generally recommend that anyone
with an always on internet connection put their machine behind a router,
even there is only one machine.

Lee

bassbag

In article <46396bbd$0$17222$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au>, (E-Mail Removed) says...
> Yes I too am glad we have patient people in the world
>
> Sorry don't know what MTU is/are or what ICMP means.
>
> My ISP is iinet (in Australia) and as far as I was aware a router is for
> more than one computer? Is that right.
>
> Thanks again for any help
> Katherine
>

> > Time outs on websites can be caused by a few things such as the actual
> > website is unavailable,your MTU setting may be to high ,or you have
> > blocked ICMP ping in your firewall ,that disables path MTU discovery.What
> > OS are you using?What ISP are you on?.What router are you using?.Do you
> > have ICMP ping blocked in your router?.
> > me

Are you on dial up or broadband? and what operating system are you
using?.Is it the same sites that give you time out errors or does it vary
at different times of day?.Are you using a firewall and if so which one?
You need to give a little more information to help.If you are on
broadband you would usually connect through a router.To check if you have
ICMP ping blocked or not perform a stealth test here...
http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

click common ports...and check if ping reply has failed or passed.If its
passed and you are showing full stealth then ,you are blocking ICMP
ping,which is needed for MTU auto discovery to work.If its working it
will show a fail and say that your computer replied to ping.
me

jones

Thanks again. Good points for me to chew on and links to check through. Will
get back in a few weeks if not before, need to be away from the computer
till then.

BTW I am still on dial-up for the time being - maybe that is slowing the
opening of the websites too?