Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Can I pass a parameter without using ?value=123

Can I pass a parameter without using ?value=123

Ronald S. Cook

Is there a way in ASP/IIS that I can communicate this link:

http://www.tournama.com/tournament.aspx?number=29384732

As this instead:

http://www.tournama.com/tournament.aspx/29384732

In other words, I can make the first work no problem. But these are links
that tournament managers will email around all the time, speak on the phone
to people, etc. So I was hoping I could make it a little more succint/easy
to communicate.

But wouldn't I need to have a folder by that number containing a
default.aspx page? I definitely do now want to have a folder for every
tournament created.

Thanks,
Ron

Hans Kesting

> Is there a way in ASP/IIS that I can communicate this link:
>
> http://www.tournama.com/tournament.aspx?number=29384732
>
> As this instead:
>
> http://www.tournama.com/tournament.aspx/29384732
>
> In other words, I can make the first work no problem. But these are
> links that tournament managers will email around all the time, speak
> on the phone to people, etc. So I was hoping I could make it a little
> more succint/easy to communicate.
>
> But wouldn't I need to have a folder by that number containing a
> default.aspx page? I definitely do now want to have a folder for
> every tournament created.
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

To read that part, see the Request.PathInfo property. According to the docs,
it should contain "/29384732", including the /!

I have never used in though.

Hans Kestin

Eliyahu Goldin

You can make http://www.tournama.com/tournament.aspx?29384732

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

"Ronald S. Cook" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way in ASP/IIS that I can communicate this link:
>
> http://www.tournama.com/tournament.aspx?number=29384732
>
> As this instead:
>
> http://www.tournama.com/tournament.aspx/29384732
>
> In other words, I can make the first work no problem. But these are links
> that tournament managers will email around all the time, speak on the
> phone to people, etc. So I was hoping I could make it a little more
> succint/easy to communicate.
>
> But wouldn't I need to have a folder by that number containing a
> default.aspx page? I definitely do now want to have a folder for every
> tournament created.
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

bruce barker

google httpmodule and url rewriting

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Ronald S. Cook wrote:
> Is there a way in ASP/IIS that I can communicate this link:
>
> http://www.tournama.com/tournament.aspx?number=29384732
>
> As this instead:
>
> http://www.tournama.com/tournament.aspx/29384732
>
> In other words, I can make the first work no problem. But these are links
> that tournament managers will email around all the time, speak on the phone
> to people, etc. So I was hoping I could make it a little more succint/easy
> to communicate.
>
> But wouldn't I need to have a folder by that number containing a
> default.aspx page? I definitely do now want to have a folder for every
> tournament created.
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

Page Brooks

Ronald,
I've successfully used the UrlRewritingNet.UrlRewrite HTTP module to
accomplish this.
Check it out: http://www.urlrewriting.net/

--
Page Brooks