Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Can't open .jpg images in emails.

Can't open .jpg images in emails.

Chaudhry Nijjhar

Hi,

I get images with .jpg extension but they show the box but no image. How
could I see the images on the internet email please?

Rajinder

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

Chaudhry Nijjhar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I get images with .jpg extension but they show the box but no image. How
> could I see the images on the internet email please?

If, as I suspect, you are using Outlook Express, get down off the
elephant and click Tools > Options > and poke around in there. There may
something under Security you'd want to change.

ellis_jay

Chaudhry Nijjhar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I get images with .jpg extension but they show the box but no image.
> How could I see the images on the internet email please?
>
> Rajinder

OE6? Just surmising at best that you would want to open OE6 then
click :
--->tools--->options--->security tab--->uncheck do not open
attachments--->apply--->ok---close

Then after doing your thing with the pictures I would advice to put your
checkmark back in the "do not allow..." box until you need to use the
option once more, for security sake.

--
When people are engaged in something they are not proud of, they do
not welcome witnesses. In fact, they come to believe the witness causes

Ellis_Jay

thanatoid

"Chaudhry Nijjhar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:y6CZh.1003$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi,
>
> I get images with .jpg extension but they show the box but
> no image. How could I see the images on the internet email
> please?
>
> Rajinder

You should be aware that a hacker with a rather good sense of
humor made a virus which can be embedded in jpg images a few
years ago. Wherever they come from, I suggest you open them in
some other image application - needless to say, the virus ONLY
works WITHIN Outlook Express. (Supposedly there is a fix on the
Microsoft website,)

You might consider switching to a less dangerous and problematic
web/mailing applications. Google or read last few months of
posts here
or anywhere else similar.

Chaudhry Nijjhar

"thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Chaudhry Nijjhar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:y6CZh.1003$(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I get images with .jpg extension but they show the box but
>> no image. How could I see the images on the internet email
>> please?
>>
>> Rajinder

> You should be aware that a hacker with a rather good sense of
> humor made a virus which can be embedded in jpg images a few
> years ago. Wherever they come from, I suggest you open them in
> some other image application - needless to say, the virus ONLY
> works WITHIN Outlook Express. (Supposedly there is a fix on the
> Microsoft website,)
>
> You might consider switching to a less dangerous and problematic
> web/mailing applications. Google or read last few months of
> posts here
> or anywhere else similar.
>

> --
> Disagreements and the usual insults expected and welcomed.

Hi,

Thanks for warning me as I am not well versed in internet and viruses. I
have NTL virus programme. Would that work in case I get a virus please?

Rajinder

thanatoid

"Chaudhry Nijjhar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:qbYZh.3488$(E-Mail Removed):

> "thanatoid" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "Chaudhry Nijjhar" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
>> in news:y6CZh.1003$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I get images with .jpg extension but they show the box
>>> but no image. How could I see the images on the internet
>>> email please?
>>>
>>> Rajinder

>> You should be aware that a hacker with a rather good sense
>> of humor made a virus which can be embedded in jpg images
>> a few years ago. Wherever they come from, I suggest you
>> open them in some other image application - needless to
>> say, the virus ONLY works WITHIN Outlook Express.
>> (Supposedly there is a fix on the Microsoft website,)
>>
>> You might consider switching to a less dangerous and
>> problematic web/mailing applications. Google or read last
>> few months of posts here
>> or anywhere else similar.
>>

>> --
>> Disagreements and the usual insults expected and welcomed.

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for warning me as I am not well versed in internet
> and viruses. I have NTL virus programme. Would that work
> in case I get a virus please?
>
> Rajinder

You're welcome.

If by "NTL virus programme" you mean the anti-virus application
that your internet provider uses to scan everything that passes
through their servers, it is better than nothing but I don't
know anyone who would ONLY rely on that. Also, NO a-v program
catches 100%. That's a fact. Paranoid people sometimes have 2 or
3 a-v programs installed, plus 1 or 2 anti-spyware programs.

Many people have had good results with Kaspersky and AVG. For
spyware use "spybot-search & destroy".

Good behavior is the most important. DON'T use IE/OE *at all*
(use Opera or Firefox) and use Xnews for newsgroups and whatever
you want for email (Google).

Never click on anything you are not 100000% sure of and never
run downloaded programs or open attachments without scanning
them first.

There are newsgroups about all this stuff where you can find out
more. Or Google "anti-virus" and "anti-spyware".

Good luck.

Aardvark

On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:27:32 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

> If by "NTL virus programme" you mean the anti-virus application
> that your internet provider uses to scan everything that passes
> through their servers,

No, it's some sort of security suite NTL supply on the setup CD. Never
used it with a Win box (always Avast, Sygate PF, Spybot S&D etc.) and
never heard anyone review it.

--
Registered Linux User 413057.
Both Mandriva 2007 and Ubuntu 6.06

thanatoid

Aardvark <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:sf4_h.1549$(E-Mail Removed):

> On Wed, 02 May 2007 17:27:32 +0000, thanatoid wrote:
>

>> If by "NTL virus programme" you mean the anti-virus
>> application that your internet provider uses to scan
>> everything that passes through their servers,

> No, it's some sort of security suite NTL supply on the
> setup CD. Never used it with a Win box (always Avast,
> Sygate PF, Spybot S&D etc.) and never heard anyone review
> it.

Thanks for clarifying.