Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista won't restart/shutdown

Vista won't restart/shutdown

=?Utf-8?B?UmluY29sbg==?=

I have been using vista since beta2 but this problem only began in rc1 and
retail version that I now use. It started with an acpi driver update, and I
have tried reverting/uninstalling the acpi with no change (probably some
other problem) so it was probably a coincidence. Anyway, the problem is when
the machine shuts down it passes all of the shutdown screens and turns off
the monitor and hard disks spin down, but no power off. It won't restart
after this sequence either. I am using amd athlon64 3800+ am2; asus m2n32sli
deluxe nvidia 590 mobo; 2GB DDR2 800 xmms2 ram. If any other info is
needed, please let me know, as this seems like a problem for microsoft.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Rincoln:
Check your BIOS settings and see if ACPI is enabled there.
See also if there are any relevant settings there that might be the root
cause of your problem.
Carlos

"Rincoln" wrote:

> I have been using vista since beta2 but this problem only began in rc1 and
> retail version that I now use. It started with an acpi driver update, and I
> have tried reverting/uninstalling the acpi with no change (probably some
> other problem) so it was probably a coincidence. Anyway, the problem is when
> the machine shuts down it passes all of the shutdown screens and turns off
> the monitor and hard disks spin down, but no power off. It won't restart
> after this sequence either. I am using amd athlon64 3800+ am2; asus m2n32sli
> deluxe nvidia 590 mobo; 2GB DDR2 800 xmms2 ram. If any other info is
> needed, please let me know, as this seems like a problem for microsoft.

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'd be inclined to look for the presence of one of the problem A-V programs
as well. (Avast! springs to mind.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Rincoln:
> Check your BIOS settings and see if ACPI is enabled there.
> See also if there are any relevant settings there that might be the root
> cause of your problem.
> Carlos
>
> "Rincoln" wrote:
>
>> I have been using vista since beta2 but this problem only began in rc1
>> and
>> retail version that I now use. It started with an acpi driver update,
>> and I
>> have tried reverting/uninstalling the acpi with no change (probably some
>> other problem) so it was probably a coincidence. Anyway, the problem is
>> when
>> the machine shuts down it passes all of the shutdown screens and turns
>> off
>> the monitor and hard disks spin down, but no power off. It won't restart
>> after this sequence either. I am using amd athlon64 3800+ am2; asus
>> m2n32sli
>> deluxe nvidia 590 mobo; 2GB DDR2 800 xmms2 ram. If any other info is
>> needed, please let me know, as this seems like a problem for microsoft.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Charlie:
That was my first choice, but upon re-reading the post I placed first the
BIOS thing.
Just a hunch.
It might as well be Avast though I have had no shutdown problems with the
latest releases.
Carlos

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> I'd be inclined to look for the presence of one of the problem A-V programs
> as well. (Avast! springs to mind.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Rincoln:
> > Check your BIOS settings and see if ACPI is enabled there.
> > See also if there are any relevant settings there that might be the root
> > cause of your problem.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Rincoln" wrote:
> >
> >> I have been using vista since beta2 but this problem only began in rc1
> >> and
> >> retail version that I now use. It started with an acpi driver update,
> >> and I
> >> have tried reverting/uninstalling the acpi with no change (probably some
> >> other problem) so it was probably a coincidence. Anyway, the problem is
> >> when
> >> the machine shuts down it passes all of the shutdown screens and turns
> >> off
> >> the monitor and hard disks spin down, but no power off. It won't restart
> >> after this sequence either. I am using amd athlon64 3800+ am2; asus
> >> m2n32sli
> >> deluxe nvidia 590 mobo; 2GB DDR2 800 xmms2 ram. If any other info is
> >> needed, please let me know, as this seems like a problem for microsoft.

John Barnes

It's been over a year since anyone has reported shut-down problems with
Avast. I've also never seen it implicated in a Vista shutdown problem.
They certainly did mess up some systems with that 64-bit system problem a
couple of months ago.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie:
> That was my first choice, but upon re-reading the post I placed first the
> BIOS thing.
> Just a hunch.
> It might as well be Avast though I have had no shutdown problems with the
> latest releases.
> Carlos
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> I'd be inclined to look for the presence of one of the problem A-V
>> programs
>> as well. (Avast! springs to mind.)
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Rincoln:
>> > Check your BIOS settings and see if ACPI is enabled there.
>> > See also if there are any relevant settings there that might be the
>> > root
>> > cause of your problem.
>> > Carlos

Colin Barnhorst

Nor have I. I use Avast! on both my boxes running Vista x64 and have no
issues.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Charlie:
> That was my first choice, but upon re-reading the post I placed first the
> BIOS thing.
> Just a hunch.
> It might as well be Avast though I have had no shutdown problems with the
> latest releases.
> Carlos
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> I'd be inclined to look for the presence of one of the problem A-V
>> programs
>> as well. (Avast! springs to mind.)
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Rincoln:
>> > Check your BIOS settings and see if ACPI is enabled there.
>> > See also if there are any relevant settings there that might be the
>> > root
>> > cause of your problem.
>> > Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?UmluY29sbg==?=

ACPI enabled in bios and don't use Avast. I am running the x64 edition of
ultimate, is there a known issue there?

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> I'd be inclined to look for the presence of one of the problem A-V programs
> as well. (Avast! springs to mind.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Rincoln:
> > Check your BIOS settings and see if ACPI is enabled there.
> > See also if there are any relevant settings there that might be the root
> > cause of your problem.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Rincoln" wrote:
> >
> >> I have been using vista since beta2 but this problem only began in rc1
> >> and
> >> retail version that I now use. It started with an acpi driver update,
> >> and I
> >> have tried reverting/uninstalling the acpi with no change (probably some
> >> other problem) so it was probably a coincidence. Anyway, the problem is
> >> when
> >> the machine shuts down it passes all of the shutdown screens and turns
> >> off
> >> the monitor and hard disks spin down, but no power off. It won't restart
> >> after this sequence either. I am using amd athlon64 3800+ am2; asus
> >> m2n32sli
> >> deluxe nvidia 590 mobo; 2GB DDR2 800 xmms2 ram. If any other info is
> >> needed, please let me know, as this seems like a problem for microsoft.

John Barnes

I don't see similar shutdown problems in the Vista group. Looks like normal
detective work is in order.
1. Does it shut down from safe mode
2. Try diagnostic startup in msconfig. Cycle at least twice. Does it shut
down?
3. You can try manually shutting down blocks of processes from task manager
and see if any block fixes the problem, then try tasks within the blocks.

"Rincoln" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> ACPI enabled in bios and don't use Avast. I am running the x64 edition of
> ultimate, is there a known issue there?
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> I'd be inclined to look for the presence of one of the problem A-V
>> programs
>> as well. (Avast! springs to mind.)
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Rincoln:
>> > Check your BIOS settings and see if ACPI is enabled there.
>> > See also if there are any relevant settings there that might be the
>> > root
>> > cause of your problem.
>> > Carlos

mikeyhsd

the ATI control console has been\know to SLOW down reboot /shutdown. do you have an ati video card.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> I'd be inclined to look for the presence of one of the problem A-V programs
> as well. (Avast! springs to mind.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Rincoln:
> > Check your BIOS settings and see if ACPI is enabled there.
> > See also if there are any relevant settings there that might be the root
> > cause of your problem.
> > Carlos
> >
> > "Rincoln" wrote:
> >
> >> I have been using vista since beta2 but this problem only began in rc1
> >> and
> >> retail version that I now use. It started with an acpi driver update,
> >> and I
> >> have tried reverting/uninstalling the acpi with no change (probably some
> >> other problem) so it was probably a coincidence. Anyway, the problem is
> >> when
> >> the machine shuts down it passes all of the shutdown screens and turns
> >> off
> >> the monitor and hard disks spin down, but no power off. It won't restart
> >> after this sequence either. I am using amd athlon64 3800+ am2; asus
> >> m2n32sli
> >> deluxe nvidia 590 mobo; 2GB DDR2 800 xmms2 ram. If any other info is
> >> needed, please let me know, as this seems like a problem for microsoft.

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'm sure you're right. But where it isn't Avast, there are other things that
can get in the way. Though I would expect Vista to be able to stomp on just
about anything. I strongly suspect you're right about BIOS and/or other
hardware problem.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64