Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Thanks!

Thanks!

Sam Crawford

I sure appreciate this newsgroup.

Most posts are civil and I see very little trolling. I just jumped over to
the vista newsgroup and am amazed at all the negativity and trolling.

Just wanted to say thanks for keeping it on focus.

Sam

Colin Barnhorst

Glad to have you. I have the same impressions of the vista.general ng that
you do. We have been luckier over here.

"Sam Crawford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I sure appreciate this newsgroup.
>
> Most posts are civil and I see very little trolling. I just jumped over
> the vista newsgroup and am amazed at all the negativity and trolling.
>
> Just wanted to say thanks for keeping it on focus.
>
> Sam

XS11E

"Sam Crawford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I sure appreciate this newsgroup.
>
> Most posts are civil and I see very little trolling. I just
> jumped over to the vista newsgroup and am amazed at all the
> negativity and trolling.

The Vista newsgroup must be read with a newsreader that allows
killfiling the trolls and scorefiling the unwanted threads and LIBERAL
use of both!

That shouldn't be necessary and I suppose eventually some kind of
moderated group will be required. The "noise" seems to have reached
the point if preventing any help to people who need it.

Unfortunately, MSFT seems reluctant to moderate these groups but I
believe it needs to be done.

Colin Barnhorst

I agree but don't think it will happen. I was OK with the threads the
trolls started because I could just ignore them. The problem now is that
they are jumping into other people's threads and poisoning them before folks
who want to answer questions legitimatelly even get a chance. There is so
much OT noise that it has become more trouble than its worth to me to read
through the noise and try to help those asking honest questions. Sad.

"XS11E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> "Sam Crawford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I sure appreciate this newsgroup.
>>
>> Most posts are civil and I see very little trolling. I just
>> jumped over to the vista newsgroup and am amazed at all the
>> negativity and trolling.

> The Vista newsgroup must be read with a newsreader that allows
> killfiling the trolls and scorefiling the unwanted threads and LIBERAL
> use of both!
>
> That shouldn't be necessary and I suppose eventually some kind of
> moderated group will be required. The "noise" seems to have reached
> the point if preventing any help to people who need it.
>
> Unfortunately, MSFT seems reluctant to moderate these groups but I
> believe it needs to be done.

Charlie Russel - MVP

yes, it is. We've worked hard here to keep this group a good place to be,
and it has made a difference. Unfortunately, in the Vista NG, there are
those who feed the trolls who should know better. The result is they have a
place that's troll friendly, but not user friendly.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I agree but don't think it will happen. I was OK with the threads the
>trolls started because I could just ignore them. The problem now is that
>they are jumping into other people's threads and poisoning them before
>folks who want to answer questions legitimatelly even get a chance. There
>is so much OT noise that it has become more trouble than its worth to me to
>read through the noise and try to help those asking honest questions. Sad.
>
> "XS11E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> "Sam Crawford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> I sure appreciate this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> Most posts are civil and I see very little trolling. I just
>>> jumped over to the vista newsgroup and am amazed at all the
>>> negativity and trolling.

>> The Vista newsgroup must be read with a newsreader that allows
>> killfiling the trolls and scorefiling the unwanted threads and LIBERAL
>> use of both!
>>
>> That shouldn't be necessary and I suppose eventually some kind of
>> moderated group will be required. The "noise" seems to have reached
>> the point if preventing any help to people who need it.
>>
>> Unfortunately, MSFT seems reluctant to moderate these groups but I
>> believe it needs to be done.

John Barnes

With only about 8 kills, about 40% of the posts disappear. My problem is
that there are 3-4 MVP's that constantly spar with them (and therefore add
to the crap) and while I like to read their useful posts, it is real
tempting to kill them also.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes, it is. We've worked hard here to keep this group a good place to be,
> and it has made a difference. Unfortunately, in the Vista NG, there are
> those who feed the trolls who should know better. The result is they have
> a place that's troll friendly, but not user friendly.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I agree but don't think it will happen. I was OK with the threads the
>>trolls started because I could just ignore them. The problem now is that
>>they are jumping into other people's threads and poisoning them before
>>folks who want to answer questions legitimatelly even get a chance. There
>>is so much OT noise that it has become more trouble than its worth to me
>>to read through the noise and try to help those asking honest questions.
>>Sad.
>>
>> "XS11E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> The Vista newsgroup must be read with a newsreader that allows
>>> killfiling the trolls and scorefiling the unwanted threads and LIBERAL
>>> use of both!
>>>
>>> That shouldn't be necessary and I suppose eventually some kind of
>>> moderated group will be required. The "noise" seems to have reached
>>> the point if preventing any help to people who need it.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, MSFT seems reluctant to moderate these groups but I
>>> believe it needs to be done.

mikeyhsd

that one of the biggest problems, the mvp attitude and the people who do not mind speaking up about it.

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
With only about 8 kills, about 40% of the posts disappear. My problem is
that there are 3-4 MVP's that constantly spar with them (and therefore add
to the crap) and while I like to read their useful posts, it is real
tempting to kill them also.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> yes, it is. We've worked hard here to keep this group a good place to be,
> and it has made a difference. Unfortunately, in the Vista NG, there are
> those who feed the trolls who should know better. The result is they have
> a place that's troll friendly, but not user friendly.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "Colin Barnhorst" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I agree but don't think it will happen. I was OK with the threads the
>>trolls started because I could just ignore them. The problem now is that
>>they are jumping into other people's threads and poisoning them before
>>folks who want to answer questions legitimatelly even get a chance. There
>>is so much OT noise that it has become more trouble than its worth to me
>>to read through the noise and try to help those asking honest questions.
>>Sad.
>>
>> "XS11E" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

>>> The Vista newsgroup must be read with a newsreader that allows
>>> killfiling the trolls and scorefiling the unwanted threads and LIBERAL
>>> use of both!
>>>
>>> That shouldn't be necessary and I suppose eventually some kind of
>>> moderated group will be required. The "noise" seems to have reached
>>> the point if preventing any help to people who need it.
>>>
>>> Unfortunately, MSFT seems reluctant to moderate these groups but I
>>> believe it needs to be done.

John Barnes

However, I have never seen a negative post about Colin, and many, many
complimentary and thankful posts. Same in this group for Charlie. Other
MVP's don't post much in this group comparatively, but are mostly helpful.

Charlie Russel - MVP

We try to be. Actually, it's the regulars here that make this group healthy.
We've actively avoided feeding the trolls here, and even convinced folks to
avoid the AMD v. Intel discussions that could have easily gotten unhealthy
in the early days.

What I appreciate as the MVP who has been around this group from the very
beginning is that when I go away, because I'm overloaded on a project or out
of office or whatever, the group keeps right on answering folks and being
the resource it has been since the beginning. I can't tell you how much that
means to me as someone who feels a certain responsibility for this group. (I
fought strongly for its creation inside MS when it was not a popular
position.) The regulars here are a pleasure to know and work with. Thank
you.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> However, I have never seen a negative post about Colin, and many, many
> complimentary and thankful posts. Same in this group for Charlie. Other
> MVP's don't post much in this group comparatively, but are mostly helpful.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Only one comment - I've actively discussed this exact issue with the folks
in the MS MVP program responsible. We'll see if there's any improvement. But
ultimately, MVPs are completely independent of MS and do what we do, and how
we do it, entirely because it's the kind of person we are. No one at MS can
(or would even attempt) to tell me what I can and can't say.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...