Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista RC1 Product Key - anyone remember?

Vista RC1 Product Key - anyone remember?

Tony Sperling

I had the 64bit installed - it has since been removed, have the key written
down safely.

Now I found reason and space to try out the 32bit (different machine) can I
use the same key now? The machine where the ISO's are stored (and the
e-mails with the keys) is not currently in use. Moreover, the 32bit may be a
coaster, may have to try the Beta2, but I only have the one key at hand -
can it be reused for this purpose?

I vaguely remember those keys remaining the same through the Beta versions -
is that correct? As a sidenote, I do have TechNet's Download offers
available are they still living and functional?

TIA!

Tony. . .

John Barnes

The key was supposed to be able to be used for up to 10 installs, however, I
was unable to reuse my key even when it was still in RC1. The same key was
usable for both 32 and 64 bit versions of both beta2 and RC1 at one point.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had the 64bit installed - it has since been removed, have the key written
> down safely.
>
> Now I found reason and space to try out the 32bit (different machine) can
> use the same key now? The machine where the ISO's are stored (and the
> e-mails with the keys) is not currently in use. Moreover, the 32bit may be
> coaster, may have to try the Beta2, but I only have the one key at hand -
> can it be reused for this purpose?
>
> I vaguely remember those keys remaining the same through the Beta
> versions -
> is that correct? As a sidenote, I do have TechNet's Download offers
> available are they still living and functional?
>
> TIA!
>

> Tony. . .

Charlie Russel - MVP

Tony - The same key works for both 64bit and 32bit, but both are no longer
legal - license to use all beta copies expires with the full availability of
the released product, if I remember correctly.

You can, however, use any RTM version to install for 30 days without a key
at all.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had the 64bit installed - it has since been removed, have the key written
> down safely.
>
> Now I found reason and space to try out the 32bit (different machine) can
> use the same key now? The machine where the ISO's are stored (and the
> e-mails with the keys) is not currently in use. Moreover, the 32bit may be
> coaster, may have to try the Beta2, but I only have the one key at hand -
> can it be reused for this purpose?
>
> I vaguely remember those keys remaining the same through the Beta
> versions -
> is that correct? As a sidenote, I do have TechNet's Download offers
> available are they still living and functional?
>
> TIA!
>

> Tony. . .

John Barnes

I checked the information that came in my RC1 box, and I can find no
restriction except the expiration date of June 01, 2007. Of course there is
the appropriate use admonition that it is only to be used for testing.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Tony - The same key works for both 64bit and 32bit, but both are no longer
> legal - license to use all beta copies expires with the full availability
> of the released product, if I remember correctly.
>
> You can, however, use any RTM version to install for 30 days without a key
> at all.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I had the 64bit installed - it has since been removed, have the key
>>written
>> down safely.
>>
>> Now I found reason and space to try out the 32bit (different machine) can
>> use the same key now? The machine where the ISO's are stored (and the
>> e-mails with the keys) is not currently in use. Moreover, the 32bit may
>> be a
>> coaster, may have to try the Beta2, but I only have the one key at hand -
>> can it be reused for this purpose?
>>
>> I vaguely remember those keys remaining the same through the Beta
>> versions -
>> is that correct? As a sidenote, I do have TechNet's Download offers
>> available are they still living and functional?
>>
>> TIA!
>>

>> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

I am quite sure that I will take advantage of the chance to legaly upgrade
my retail Win2K Pro, so I will try it out, all in all I should find a
suitable target machine within that time-frame, and right or wrong I don't
expect the Software Asso. . .(who's that on the door, now?)

Tony. . .

P.S.

Thanks John, Charlie.
-------------------------

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I checked the information that came in my RC1 box, and I can find no
> restriction except the expiration date of June 01, 2007. Of course there

is
> the appropriate use admonition that it is only to be used for testing.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Tony - The same key works for both 64bit and 32bit, but both are no

longer
> > legal - license to use all beta copies expires with the full

availability
> > of the released product, if I remember correctly.
> >
> > You can, however, use any RTM version to install for 30 days without a

key
> > at all.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
> >

> > "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >>I had the 64bit installed - it has since been removed, have the key
> >>written
> >> down safely.
> >>
> >> Now I found reason and space to try out the 32bit (different machine)

can
> >> use the same key now? The machine where the ISO's are stored (and the
> >> e-mails with the keys) is not currently in use. Moreover, the 32bit may
> >> be a
> >> coaster, may have to try the Beta2, but I only have the one key at

hand -
> >> can it be reused for this purpose?
> >>
> >> I vaguely remember those keys remaining the same through the Beta
> >> versions -
> >> is that correct? As a sidenote, I do have TechNet's Download offers
> >> available are they still living and functional?
> >>
> >> TIA!
> >>

> >> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

In any case - whatever it is that has expired or not, the key is not
accepted for any of the versions any longer.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am quite sure that I will take advantage of the chance to legaly upgrade
> my retail Win2K Pro, so I will try it out, all in all I should find a
> suitable target machine within that time-frame, and right or wrong I don't
> expect the Software Asso. . .(who's that on the door, now?)
>

> Tony. . .
>
> P.S.
>
> Thanks John, Charlie.
> -------------------------

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I checked the information that came in my RC1 box, and I can find no
> > restriction except the expiration date of June 01, 2007. Of course

there
> is
> > the appropriate use admonition that it is only to be used for testing.
> >
> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Tony - The same key works for both 64bit and 32bit, but both are no

> longer
> > > legal - license to use all beta copies expires with the full

> availability
> > > of the released product, if I remember correctly.
> > >
> > > You can, however, use any RTM version to install for 30 days without a

> key
> > > at all.
> > >
> > > --
> > > Charlie.
> > > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
> > > http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/charlie.russel
> > >

> > > "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> can

may

> hand -

John Barnes

It would appear they are restricting new and re-installations, but seem fine
with continued use of the previous installs. If they wanted to, with the
constant 'phone home' calls that Vista makes, they could disable them
quickly if they wanted to.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> In any case - whatever it is that has expired or not, the key is not
> accepted for any of the versions any longer.
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I am quite sure that I will take advantage of the chance to legaly
>> upgrade
>> my retail Win2K Pro, so I will try it out, all in all I should find a
>> suitable target machine within that time-frame, and right or wrong I
>> don't
>> expect the Software Asso. . .(who's that on the door, now?)
>>

>> Tony. . .
>>
>> P.S.
>>
>> Thanks John, Charlie.
>> -------------------------
>>

>> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > I checked the information that came in my RC1 box, and I can find no
>> > restriction except the expiration date of June 01, 2007. Of course

> there
>> is
>> > the appropriate use admonition that it is only to be used for testing.
>> >
>> > "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> longer

>> availability

>> key

>> can

> may

>> hand -

Tony Sperling

Yes, it would seem so. But I'm not complaining - I wasn't ready for Vista,
it was too big a change in the midst of everything else that was going
around here. After the relative painless and extremely agreeable contact
with XP x64, I thought it would be a walk in the park. Now, I must make a
decision without the chance to snoop on it.

Right now, it feels like I'll be scraping the bare necessities off my fine
old Win2K (Athlon XP 2400+) and relegate it to a pure Linux job, then have
32bit Vista upgrade Win2K on the AMD FX-62 machine - keep XP x64 (naturally)
and stop all testing there, have it do some real work!

Then, perhaps I can revive the old Athlon 64 3000+ and have that one as a
test bed, it has just been sitting there for the last six months and I just
found out it has developed some really strange behavior. I think I will look
for a 939 MB and rebuild it from scratch - it was a good machine and I think
it deserves it.

("the plans of mice and men. . .") But thanks, anyhow!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It would appear they are restricting new and re-installations, but seem

fine
> with continued use of the previous installs. If they wanted to, with the
> constant 'phone home' calls that Vista makes, they could disable them
> quickly if they wanted to.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In any case - whatever it is that has expired or not, the key is not
> > accepted for any of the versions any longer.
> >

> > Tony. . .
> >

> > "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I am quite sure that I will take advantage of the chance to legaly
> >> upgrade
> >> my retail Win2K Pro, so I will try it out, all in all I should find a
> >> suitable target machine within that time-frame, and right or wrong I
> >> don't
> >> expect the Software Asso. . .(who's that on the door, now?)
> >>

> >> Tony. . .
> >>
> >> P.S.
> >>
> >> Thanks John, Charlie.
> >> -------------------------
> >>

> >> "John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> > there
> >> is

testing.

> > message
> >> longer
> >> availability

without
> >> key

> >> can

32bit
> > may
> >> hand -

offers

Charlie Russel - MVP

The problem with 939 mobos at this point is that it's getting hard to find
CPUs for them that aren't way overpriced. And RAM is already in short supply
as well - everyone is now moving to DDR2. I've got some existing 939 boxes,
but won't be building any new ones. I just bought a small footprint 939 mobo
to take the last of the food chain components to build a Windows Home Server
test box. But so far, no joy on being able to run what I need there, so it
may get pure XP x64 or Vista x64 and TiVo Desktop on it. Be the media server
for home, with several older 100-300 GB drives in it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, it would seem so. But I'm not complaining - I wasn't ready for Vista,
> it was too big a change in the midst of everything else that was going
> around here. After the relative painless and extremely agreeable contact
> with XP x64, I thought it would be a walk in the park. Now, I must make a
> decision without the chance to snoop on it.
>
> Right now, it feels like I'll be scraping the bare necessities off my fine
> old Win2K (Athlon XP 2400+) and relegate it to a pure Linux job, then have
> 32bit Vista upgrade Win2K on the AMD FX-62 machine - keep XP x64
> (naturally)
> and stop all testing there, have it do some real work!
>
> Then, perhaps I can revive the old Athlon 64 3000+ and have that one as a
> test bed, it has just been sitting there for the last six months and I
> just
> found out it has developed some really strange behavior. I think I will
> look
> for a 939 MB and rebuild it from scratch - it was a good machine and I
> think
> it deserves it.
>
> ("the plans of mice and men. . .") But thanks, anyhow!
>

> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It would appear they are restricting new and re-installations, but seem

> fine
>> with continued use of the previous installs. If they wanted to, with the
>> constant 'phone home' calls that Vista makes, they could disable them
>> quickly if they wanted to.
>>
>> "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > In any case - whatever it is that has expired or not, the key is not
>> > accepted for any of the versions any longer.
>> >

>> > Tony. . .
>> >

>> > "Tony Sperling" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > there

> testing.

>> > message

> without

> 32bit
>> > may

> offers

John Barnes

With the 3500+ that I had, Vista was always having tasks hanging when I
needed it for work (XP64 ran great). I moved to a 5200+ and works great
now. I also did what Charlie is mentioning, I changed to an AM2 board and
DDR2 memory. I had already made the move to all SATA and PCIe video cards
last time. Many newer boards only have one dual channel IDE connection but
support 6-10 SATA connections to handle the SATA CD/DVD hardware and HDs.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...