Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Vista 64: Athlon? Opteron?

Vista 64: Athlon? Opteron?

DP

I realize this is more of a hardware question, but since I'm familiar with
"the work" of many respondents on these two groups, I thought I'd tap into
the wisdom of these crowds.

I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on a socket 939 board. I'm thinking of upgrading
CPU before all the 939-compatibles are gone. I'm using an Athlon 64X2 3800+.
I can get an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ or else an Opteron dual core (one of several
models, like the 170, 175, 180, etc).
Opteron would seem to be the more muscular chip, but I'm wondering if
there's anything in an Opteron that limits its functionality for general
computing (which might even include a little gaming, but just a little).
Obviously, I know what an Athlon can do. Is there something an Athlon does
that an Opteron won't?
I mean since it's more designed for servers than general desktop use, I was
wondering if there was something there I was missing. Like, is it designed
for "strictly business" instead of some business and some fun? I guess I'm
just a little confused by what it means to say a chip is designed for
servers.
Price is not a concern here, even though the Opteron might cost me $80 or
more than the Athlon. Any thoughts?

Juergen Kluth

Hi,
you have to consult your mainboard / manual / manufacturer
for compatibility of your mobo with cpu

mostly opterons have bigger cache (but depends)

jk

Dale M. White

I have a co-worker who uses the Opty over the regular chips. Outside of the
cost, he likes them better, because they are faster and overclock higher. He
plays a fair numbers of games and is also using a Cross-fire config. If
you're motherboard doesn't have a problem with the chip, I don't think
you'll have a problem with the Opty

If you post this question over in the forums at Tomshardware, I can almost
assure you everyone is going to tell you to go with the Opty. I think the
185 is the highest for the 939s

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I realize this is more of a hardware question, but since I'm familiar with
>"the work" of many respondents on these two groups, I thought I'd tap into
>the wisdom of these crowds.
>
> I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on a socket 939 board. I'm thinking of
> upgrading CPU before all the 939-compatibles are gone. I'm using an Athlon
> 64X2 3800+.
> I can get an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ or else an Opteron dual core (one of
> several models, like the 170, 175, 180, etc).
> Opteron would seem to be the more muscular chip, but I'm wondering if
> there's anything in an Opteron that limits its functionality for general
> computing (which might even include a little gaming, but just a little).
> Obviously, I know what an Athlon can do. Is there something an Athlon does
> that an Opteron won't?
> I mean since it's more designed for servers than general desktop use, I
> was wondering if there was something there I was missing. Like, is it
> designed for "strictly business" instead of some business and some fun? I
> guess I'm just a little confused by what it means to say a chip is
> designed for servers.
> Price is not a concern here, even though the Opteron might cost me $80 or
> more than the Athlon. Any thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

In additon to Dale's comments, I would also suggest looking at the various
components of the Vista rating of your system and check which subsystem is
dragging your score down.
Maybe what you need is not a processor upgrade but rather a better graphic
card.
I am also on the socket 939 bandwagon.
My last uP upgrade was from Athlon 3500+ to Athlonx2 4200+ taking the
processor score to 4.9.
Now it is turn to upgrade my graphic card (7600GT) which is scoring a "low"
4.6 making that number my system rating (it is the lowest).
My mobo (ASUS A8N-SLI) only supports Athlons (regular and x2) and AthlonsFX
(no "Optys").
Carlos

"DP" wrote:

> I realize this is more of a hardware question, but since I'm familiar with
> "the work" of many respondents on these two groups, I thought I'd tap into
> the wisdom of these crowds.
>
> I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on a socket 939 board. I'm thinking of upgrading
> CPU before all the 939-compatibles are gone. I'm using an Athlon 64X2 3800+.
> I can get an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ or else an Opteron dual core (one of several
> models, like the 170, 175, 180, etc).
> Opteron would seem to be the more muscular chip, but I'm wondering if
> there's anything in an Opteron that limits its functionality for general
> computing (which might even include a little gaming, but just a little).
> Obviously, I know what an Athlon can do. Is there something an Athlon does
> that an Opteron won't?
> I mean since it's more designed for servers than general desktop use, I was
> wondering if there was something there I was missing. Like, is it designed
> for "strictly business" instead of some business and some fun? I guess I'm
> just a little confused by what it means to say a chip is designed for
> servers.
> Price is not a concern here, even though the Opteron might cost me $80 or
> more than the Athlon. Any thoughts?

DP

Oh, my graphics card is definitely my weakest link. But right now I'm
focusing on CPU (4.8 performance index) since they won't be available much
longer. Trying to hold out to see if prices drop one more time (and that
they don't get sold out before then).
I have another 939-board computer my kids use which has a single Athlon 64
in it. So I can put my X2 in that machine if I buy a new CPU for my Vista
machine. (That will still leave me with a used single-core Athlon, but ya
gotta break some eggs to make an omelet, ya know.)
Thanks, Carlos.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In additon to Dale's comments, I would also suggest looking at the various
> components of the Vista rating of your system and check which subsystem is
> dragging your score down.
> Maybe what you need is not a processor upgrade but rather a better graphic
> card.
> I am also on the socket 939 bandwagon.
> My last uP upgrade was from Athlon 3500+ to Athlonx2 4200+ taking the
> processor score to 4.9.
> Now it is turn to upgrade my graphic card (7600GT) which is scoring a
> "low"
> 4.6 making that number my system rating (it is the lowest).
> My mobo (ASUS A8N-SLI) only supports Athlons (regular and x2) and
> AthlonsFX
> (no "Optys").
> Carlos
>
> "DP" wrote:
>
>> I realize this is more of a hardware question, but since I'm familiar
>> with
>> "the work" of many respondents on these two groups, I thought I'd tap
>> into
>> the wisdom of these crowds.
>>
>> I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on a socket 939 board. I'm thinking of
>> upgrading
>> CPU before all the 939-compatibles are gone. I'm using an Athlon 64X2
>> 3800+.
>> I can get an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ or else an Opteron dual core (one of
>> several
>> models, like the 170, 175, 180, etc).
>> Opteron would seem to be the more muscular chip, but I'm wondering if
>> there's anything in an Opteron that limits its functionality for general
>> computing (which might even include a little gaming, but just a little).
>> Obviously, I know what an Athlon can do. Is there something an Athlon
>> does
>> that an Opteron won't?
>> I mean since it's more designed for servers than general desktop use, I
>> was
>> wondering if there was something there I was missing. Like, is it
>> designed
>> for "strictly business" instead of some business and some fun? I guess
>> I'm
>> just a little confused by what it means to say a chip is designed for
>> servers.
>> Price is not a concern here, even though the Opteron might cost me $80 or
>> more than the Athlon. Any thoughts?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Scotty=A9?=

"DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I realize this is more of a hardware question, but since I'm familiar with
>"the work" of many respondents on these two groups, I thought I'd tap into
>the wisdom of these crowds.
>
> I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on a socket 939 board. I'm thinking of
> upgrading CPU before all the 939-compatibles are gone. I'm using an Athlon
> 64X2 3800+.
> I can get an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ or else an Opteron dual core (one of
> several models, like the 170, 175, 180, etc).
> Opteron would seem to be the more muscular chip, but I'm wondering if
> there's anything in an Opteron that limits its functionality for general
> computing (which might even include a little gaming, but just a little).
> Obviously, I know what an Athlon can do. Is there something an Athlon does
> that an Opteron won't?
> I mean since it's more designed for servers than general desktop use, I
> was wondering if there was something there I was missing. Like, is it
> designed for "strictly business" instead of some business and some fun? I
> guess I'm just a little confused by what it means to say a chip is
> designed for servers.
> Price is not a concern here, even though the Opteron might cost me $80 or
> more than the Athlon. Any thoughts?

do what I did if you can afford it..bin the 939 get a FX-62 and a DFI
Lanparty mobo setup..plus a couple of Gainward Bliss 8800 GTX..ram change
too, so 4 gig of Corsair XMS pro 800 (vista 32 only reads 3651 tho) job
done
--
Scottyİ

Theo

And, not but least, the prices of all socket 939 cpu have
risen considerably lately. I bought a 4400+ x2 several
months ago for about $180. If you can find one now you're
looking at no less than $400. $513.95 today at ATACOM.com.

NewEgg has the Opteron 185 for $329.99, which is fairly
reasonable.

Dale M. White wrote:

> I have a co-worker who uses the Opty over the regular chips. Outside of
> the cost, he likes them better, because they are faster and overclock
> higher. He plays a fair numbers of games and is also using a Cross-fire
> config. If you're motherboard doesn't have a problem with the chip, I
> don't think you'll have a problem with the Opty
>
> If you post this question over in the forums at Tomshardware, I can
> almost assure you everyone is going to tell you to go with the Opty. I
> think the 185 is the highest for the 939s
>

> "DP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I realize this is more of a hardware question, but since I'm familiar
>> with "the work" of many respondents on these two groups, I thought I'd
>> tap into the wisdom of these crowds.
>>
>> I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on a socket 939 board. I'm thinking of
>> upgrading CPU before all the 939-compatibles are gone. I'm using an
>> Athlon 64X2 3800+.
>> I can get an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ or else an Opteron dual core (one of
>> several models, like the 170, 175, 180, etc).
>> Opteron would seem to be the more muscular chip, but I'm wondering if
>> there's anything in an Opteron that limits its functionality for
>> general computing (which might even include a little gaming, but just
>> a little). Obviously, I know what an Athlon can do. Is there something
>> an Athlon does that an Opteron won't?
>> I mean since it's more designed for servers than general desktop use,
>> I was wondering if there was something there I was missing. Like, is
>> it designed for "strictly business" instead of some business and some
>> fun? I guess I'm just a little confused by what it means to say a chip
>> is designed for servers.
>> Price is not a concern here, even though the Opteron might cost me $80
>> or more than the Athlon. Any thoughts?

John Barnes

Interesting, Carlos. I, too, have a 7600GT and my scores are 5.9 graphics
5.4 gaming. My 5200+ x2 only gets a 5.1 my lowest score.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In additon to Dale's comments, I would also suggest looking at the various
> components of the Vista rating of your system and check which subsystem is
> dragging your score down.
> Maybe what you need is not a processor upgrade but rather a better graphic
> card.
> I am also on the socket 939 bandwagon.
> My last uP upgrade was from Athlon 3500+ to Athlonx2 4200+ taking the
> processor score to 4.9.
> Now it is turn to upgrade my graphic card (7600GT) which is scoring a
> "low"
> 4.6 making that number my system rating (it is the lowest).
> My mobo (ASUS A8N-SLI) only supports Athlons (regular and x2) and
> AthlonsFX
> (no "Optys").
> Carlos
>
> "DP" wrote:
>
>> I realize this is more of a hardware question, but since I'm familiar
>> with
>> "the work" of many respondents on these two groups, I thought I'd tap
>> into
>> the wisdom of these crowds.
>>
>> I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on a socket 939 board. I'm thinking of
>> upgrading
>> CPU before all the 939-compatibles are gone. I'm using an Athlon 64X2
>> 3800+.
>> I can get an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ or else an Opteron dual core (one of
>> several
>> models, like the 170, 175, 180, etc).
>> Opteron would seem to be the more muscular chip, but I'm wondering if
>> there's anything in an Opteron that limits its functionality for general
>> computing (which might even include a little gaming, but just a little).
>> Obviously, I know what an Athlon can do. Is there something an Athlon
>> does
>> that an Opteron won't?
>> I mean since it's more designed for servers than general desktop use, I
>> was
>> wondering if there was something there I was missing. Like, is it
>> designed
>> for "strictly business" instead of some business and some fun? I guess
>> I'm
>> just a little confused by what it means to say a chip is designed for
>> servers.
>> Price is not a concern here, even though the Opteron might cost me $80 or
>> more than the Athlon. Any thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

John:
Not all 7600GT's are created equal.
Amount of RAM (256 megs in my case) and type of memory (GDDR2 or 3) usually
make a difference.
My 7600GT scores are 4.6 and 4.9
RAID0 HD's is 5.9
Memory (2 gigs of "old" DDR400) is 4.6

Carlos
"John Barnes" wrote:

> Interesting, Carlos. I, too, have a 7600GT and my scores are 5.9 graphics
> 5.4 gaming. My 5200+ x2 only gets a 5.1 my lowest score.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > In additon to Dale's comments, I would also suggest looking at the various
> > components of the Vista rating of your system and check which subsystem is
> > dragging your score down.
> > Maybe what you need is not a processor upgrade but rather a better graphic
> > card.
> > I am also on the socket 939 bandwagon.
> > My last uP upgrade was from Athlon 3500+ to Athlonx2 4200+ taking the
> > processor score to 4.9.
> > Now it is turn to upgrade my graphic card (7600GT) which is scoring a
> > "low"
> > 4.6 making that number my system rating (it is the lowest).
> > My mobo (ASUS A8N-SLI) only supports Athlons (regular and x2) and
> > AthlonsFX
> > (no "Optys").
> > Carlos
> >
> > "DP" wrote:
> >
> >> I realize this is more of a hardware question, but since I'm familiar
> >> with
> >> "the work" of many respondents on these two groups, I thought I'd tap
> >> into
> >> the wisdom of these crowds.
> >>
> >> I'm using Vista Ultimate 64 on a socket 939 board. I'm thinking of
> >> upgrading
> >> CPU before all the 939-compatibles are gone. I'm using an Athlon 64X2
> >> 3800+.
> >> I can get an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ or else an Opteron dual core (one of
> >> several
> >> models, like the 170, 175, 180, etc).
> >> Opteron would seem to be the more muscular chip, but I'm wondering if
> >> there's anything in an Opteron that limits its functionality for general
> >> computing (which might even include a little gaming, but just a little).
> >> Obviously, I know what an Athlon can do. Is there something an Athlon
> >> does
> >> that an Opteron won't?
> >> I mean since it's more designed for servers than general desktop use, I
> >> was
> >> wondering if there was something there I was missing. Like, is it
> >> designed
> >> for "strictly business" instead of some business and some fun? I guess
> >> I'm
> >> just a little confused by what it means to say a chip is designed for
> >> servers.
> >> Price is not a concern here, even though the Opteron might cost me $80 or
> >> more than the Athlon. Any thoughts?

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Funny we have the same expression in Spanish about the "objective" of
breaking some eggs.

Carlos