Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Upgrading my trial version

Upgrading my trial version

=?Utf-8?B?VG9yUGVkbw==?=

Hi.

I recently downloaded the trial version and it will expire the next days. I
tried upgrading the trial version with a student version, which I downloaded
from the "Academic Alliance Software Center". But I don't get further than
entering the license key. I double checked it with the supplied key on the
"MSDN-AA"-site, but it still doesn't work.

Do I have to completely uninstall the trial version before installing the
student version or will it not work at all. Because I can't imagine that
Microsoft would provide an invalid key for installation.

Greetings,
Daniel

Charlie Russel - MVP

See my blog posts on upgrades. Covers the options and what they mean.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"TorPedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi.
>
> I recently downloaded the trial version and it will expire the next days.
> tried upgrading the trial version with a student version, which I
> downloaded
> from the "Academic Alliance Software Center". But I don't get further than
> entering the license key. I double checked it with the supplied key on the
> "MSDN-AA"-site, but it still doesn't work.
>
> Do I have to completely uninstall the trial version before installing the
> student version or will it not work at all. Because I can't imagine that
> Microsoft would provide an invalid key for installation.
>
> Greetings,
> Daniel

=?Utf-8?B?VG9yUGVkbw==?=

Thank you for your quick response.
To be sure, that it is not related to an update issue from the trial
version, I installed VMware and tried to make a "clean" installation of the
64Bit Student version. I get the same "invalid cd-key" error. It seems to be
a problem with the key itself. Is it possible that Microsoft provided an
invalid key to me?
Does anyone know a program to check a key for it's validity (except the
WinXP setup program of course)?

Greetings,
Daniel

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> See my blog posts on upgrades. Covers the options and what they mean.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

It is certainly possible it's an invalid key, though I've never personally
had one. I'd suggest you contact your source for the key to determine if
that's the cause.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"TorPedo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thank you for your quick response.
> To be sure, that it is not related to an update issue from the trial
> version, I installed VMware and tried to make a "clean" installation of
> the
> 64Bit Student version. I get the same "invalid cd-key" error. It seems to
> be
> a problem with the key itself. Is it possible that Microsoft provided an
> invalid key to me?
> Does anyone know a program to check a key for it's validity (except the
> WinXP setup program of course)?
>
> Greetings,
> Daniel
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> See my blog posts on upgrades. Covers the options and what they mean.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Hi, Daniel:
Just a shot in the dark but..
Are you not mistyping zeros "0" instead of the letter "O" and/or viceversa?
Carlos

"TorPedo" wrote:

> Thank you for your quick response.
> To be sure, that it is not related to an update issue from the trial
> version, I installed VMware and tried to make a "clean" installation of the
> 64Bit Student version. I get the same "invalid cd-key" error. It seems to be
> a problem with the key itself. Is it possible that Microsoft provided an
> invalid key to me?
> Does anyone know a program to check a key for it's validity (except the
> WinXP setup program of course)?
>
> Greetings,
> Daniel
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
> > See my blog posts on upgrades. Covers the options and what they mean.
> >
> > --
> > Charlie.
> > http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?VG9yUGVkbw==?=

Hi Carlos.

No, the key contains no "O" or "0". I believe Windows keys never contain
these. I even tried to copy and paste the key from the website. Still the
same result.

Greetings,
Daniel

"Carlos" wrote:

> Hi, Daniel:
> Just a shot in the dark but..
> Are you not mistyping zeros "0" instead of the letter "O" and/or viceversa?
> Carlos

=?Utf-8?B?VG9yUGVkbw==?=

Okay, I just called the MSDN-AA support, which told me (like you) that I have
to contact the administrator of my university. They also said, that it may be
possible that an invalid cd-key has been entered by our admin.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> It is certainly possible it's an invalid key, though I've never personally
> had one. I'd suggest you contact your source for the key to determine if
> that's the cause.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

=?Utf-8?B?VG9yUGVkbw==?=

I received a new key from our MSDN-AA administrator, which works now!

Strange enough that Microsoft seems to have handed out an invalid key...

Greetings and thanks to all who tried to help me,
Daniel

Charlie Russel - MVP

Certainly possible. Good luck!