Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Unknown software exception

Unknown software exception

Roger Gelder

"In iexplore.exe unknown software exception ( 0xc0000005)
application location 0x6600accc. "

Atempted to restore to 1 week ago - failed! OOPS!
Searched MS but not found, recommendations, please.

System
ASUS mb A8N5X, cpu Athlon x64,
Win XP Professional, x64
Avast

Oh Yes, & cpu fan not keeping up with cpu temperature! Eek!

roj

John Barnes

Did you try another restore point? If you are overheating, there can be all
kinds of exceptions not fixable by restore. Did your problem happen once,
or constantly and is it happening when the cpu is overheated

"Roger Gelder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "In iexplore.exe unknown software exception ( 0xc0000005)
> application location 0x6600accc. "
>
> Atempted to restore to 1 week ago - failed! OOPS!
> Searched MS but not found, recommendations, please.
>
> System
> ASUS mb A8N5X, cpu Athlon x64,
> Win XP Professional, x64
> Avast
>
> Oh Yes, & cpu fan not keeping up with cpu temperature! Eek!
>
> roj

Charlie Russel - MVP

If you're having temperature problems, you need to solve those FIRST.
They're likely the issue.

The ways to resolve them include:
1.) a thorough clean out of dust, etc. from the case/motherboard/fans
2.) upgraded case that does a better job of cooling (I dropped 15 degrees C
with a case change on an x64 box.)
3.) upgraded fans in current case.
4.) Upgraded cooler from AMD stock

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

"Roger Gelder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "In iexplore.exe unknown software exception ( 0xc0000005)
> application location 0x6600accc. "
>
> Atempted to restore to 1 week ago - failed! OOPS!
> Searched MS but not found, recommendations, please.
>
> System
> ASUS mb A8N5X, cpu Athlon x64,
> Win XP Professional, x64
> Avast
>
> Oh Yes, & cpu fan not keeping up with cpu temperature! Eek!
>
> roj

John Barnes

My cpu fan hasn't been on in over a week. The case fans and heatsink keep
the temps low enough that it doesn't turn on. When room temps are around
21C the cpu core temp runs around 24C-25C and the cpu fan doesn't kick in to
low speed until 28C-29C. If I were a gamer I am sure it would be
different, but with average cpu usage at around 65% I have no problems.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you're having temperature problems, you need to solve those FIRST.
> They're likely the issue.
>
> The ways to resolve them include:
> 1.) a thorough clean out of dust, etc. from the case/motherboard/fans
> 2.) upgraded case that does a better job of cooling (I dropped 15 degrees
> C with a case change on an x64 box.)
> 3.) upgraded fans in current case.
> 4.) Upgraded cooler from AMD stock
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>
> "Roger Gelder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> "In iexplore.exe unknown software exception ( 0xc0000005)
>> application location 0x6600accc. "
>>
>> Atempted to restore to 1 week ago - failed! OOPS!
>> Searched MS but not found, recommendations, please.
>>
>> System
>> ASUS mb A8N5X, cpu Athlon x64,
>> Win XP Professional, x64
>> Avast
>>
>> Oh Yes, & cpu fan not keeping up with cpu temperature! Eek!
>>
>> roj

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yeah, all of mine are running at very low speeds. Overall temperatures stay
pretty good, except the Ferrari. I need to open it up and do a clean out on
it - it's starting to run a bit warmer than I'm happy with.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> My cpu fan hasn't been on in over a week. The case fans and heatsink keep
> the temps low enough that it doesn't turn on. When room temps are around
> 21C the cpu core temp runs around 24C-25C and the cpu fan doesn't kick in
> to low speed until 28C-29C. If I were a gamer I am sure it would be
> different, but with average cpu usage at around 65% I have no problems.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you're having temperature problems, you need to solve those FIRST.
>> They're likely the issue.
>>
>> The ways to resolve them include:
>> 1.) a thorough clean out of dust, etc. from the case/motherboard/fans
>> 2.) upgraded case that does a better job of cooling (I dropped 15 degrees
>> C with a case change on an x64 box.)
>> 3.) upgraded fans in current case.
>> 4.) Upgraded cooler from AMD stock
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64
>>
>> "Roger Gelder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> "In iexplore.exe unknown software exception ( 0xc0000005)
>>> application location 0x6600accc. "
>>>
>>> Atempted to restore to 1 week ago - failed! OOPS!
>>> Searched MS but not found, recommendations, please.
>>>
>>> System
>>> ASUS mb A8N5X, cpu Athlon x64,
>>> Win XP Professional, x64
>>> Avast
>>>
>>> Oh Yes, & cpu fan not keeping up with cpu temperature! Eek!
>>>
>>> roj

Roger Gelder

As advised, I cleaned the fan - MUCH better - but currently
sitting at 48'C - ? Stable but still higher than expected?
AMD reckon the operating temperature should be 50'C.

The unknown exception has now 'Gone away' - good.
What I would like to do though, is a 'repair installation'.
I have the Win XP Pro x64 cd, but I downloaded the SP2
file and 'ran' it. Now, when I want to repair, from the old cd,
I am told that it is an old edition and I need to use the up-to-date
version, presumably from the SP2 download - Oh?

Can I build a bootable cd with SP2 on-board?
Your thoughts and advice would be very welcome.
Thanks
roj

"Roger Gelder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> "In iexplore.exe unknown software exception ( 0xc0000005)
> application location 0x6600accc. "
>
> Atempted to restore to 1 week ago - failed! OOPS!
> Searched MS but not found, recommendations, please.
>
> System
> ASUS mb A8N5X, cpu Athlon x64,
> Win XP Professional, x64
> Avast
>
> Oh Yes, & cpu fan not keeping up with cpu temperature! Eek!
>
> roj

Colin Barnhorst

You can build a slipstreamed cd. I use AutoStreamer. Works fine.

--
Colin Barnhorst
MVP Virtual Machine

miso@sushi.com

On Apr 23, 9:24 am, "Roger Gelder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> As advised, I cleaned the fan - MUCH better - but currently
> sitting at 48'C - ? Stable but still higher than expected?
> AMD reckon the operating temperature should be 50'C.
>
> The unknown exception has now 'Gone away' - good.
> What I would like to do though, is a 'repair installation'.
> I have the Win XP Pro x64 cd, but I downloaded the SP2
> file and 'ran' it. Now, when I want to repair, from the old cd,
> I am told that it is an old edition and I need to use the up-to-date
> version, presumably from the SP2 download - Oh?
>
> Can I build a bootable cd with SP2 on-board?
> Your thoughts and advice would be very welcome.
> Thanks
> roj
>
> "Roger Gelder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> > "In iexplore.exe unknown software exception ( 0xc0000005)
> > application location 0x6600accc. "

> > Atempted to restore to 1 week ago - failed! OOPS!
> > Searched MS but not found, recommendations, please.

> > System
> > ASUS mb A8N5X, cpu Athlon x64,
> > Win XP Professional, x64
> > Avast

> > Oh Yes, & cpu fan not keeping up with cpu temperature! Eek!

> > roj

I've done the repair installation after installing SP2. I didn't get
such a message. I just did the repair, then sp2, then all the drivers,
then update to get whatever security fixes MS deems I require.

I still can't load .net rev 3.

John Barnes

I suggest you contact Microsoft technical support. I had problems with rev
2 and was provided with a competent and free technician until the problem
was resolved.

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> On Apr 23, 9:24 am, "Roger Gelder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> As advised, I cleaned the fan - MUCH better - but currently
>> sitting at 48'C - ? Stable but still higher than expected?
>> AMD reckon the operating temperature should be 50'C.
>>
>> The unknown exception has now 'Gone away' - good.
>> What I would like to do though, is a 'repair installation'.
>> I have the Win XP Pro x64 cd, but I downloaded the SP2
>> file and 'ran' it. Now, when I want to repair, from the old cd,
>> I am told that it is an old edition and I need to use the up-to-date
>> version, presumably from the SP2 download - Oh?
>>
>> Can I build a bootable cd with SP2 on-board?
>> Your thoughts and advice would be very welcome.
>> Thanks
>> roj
>>
>> "Roger Gelder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> > "In iexplore.exe unknown software exception ( 0xc0000005)
>> > application location 0x6600accc. "

>> > Atempted to restore to 1 week ago - failed! OOPS!
>> > Searched MS but not found, recommendations, please.

>> > System
>> > ASUS mb A8N5X, cpu Athlon x64,
>> > Win XP Professional, x64
>> > Avast

>> > Oh Yes, & cpu fan not keeping up with cpu temperature! Eek!

>> > roj

> I've done the repair installation after installing SP2. I didn't get
> such a message. I just did the repair, then sp2, then all the drivers,
> then update to get whatever security fixes MS deems I require.
>
> I still can't load .net rev 3.

Roger Gelder

A final question before biting the bullet.
The fan is now fully fixed, temps at 43' +/- 3' C,
more or less permanently - so OK there.

However, I still have s/w problems in XP
and in IE, arising since SP2 instal.

In "Add or Remove Programs" can I remove SP2,
revert to SP1, repair with my original Win XP Pro x64
cd and THEN update back to SP2?

Your thoughts, please and many thanks for help.
roj