Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Changing drive icons in Windows XP Pro X64

Changing drive icons in Windows XP Pro X64

=?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

Hi,

For an unknown reason, one of my hard drive icons has changed to a generic
icon in My Computer. Is there a way that I can change it back to the icon of
a drive? I know how to change icons in Properties for a folder but there's
no option to change the icon in Properties for a drive.
--
Denise

~ If you don't know where you came from, you won't know where you're going.

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Denise wrote:

>Hi,
>
>For an unknown reason, one of my hard drive icons has changed to a generic
>icon in My Computer. Is there a way that I can change it back to the icon
>of
>a drive? I know how to change icons in Properties for a folder but there's
>no option to change the icon in Properties for a drive.

The only possibilities I can think of are:

a) an autorun.inf file in the root of the drive, or
b) corruption of the disk shell icon cache (unlikely, but Win95 used to
suffer badly from this)

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

=?Utf-8?B?RGVuaXNl?=

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your suggestions. They nudged a memory of something that I did
about a week ago. I have several ext hdds. They all give me the option to
open the drive when I turn it on except for the one that had the generic
drive icon. I thought that if I copied the "autorun" icon from one of the
other drives and put it on the drive that wouldn't autorun, it would autorun.
*blushing* I should have remembered that but it escaped me. I just removed
the icon, rebooted and a drive icon is now there.
--

"Steve Foster [SBS MVP]" wrote:

> Denise wrote:
>
> >Hi,
> >
> >For an unknown reason, one of my hard drive icons has changed to a generic
> >icon in My Computer. Is there a way that I can change it back to the icon
> >of
> >a drive? I know how to change icons in Properties for a folder but there's
> >no option to change the icon in Properties for a drive.

> The only possibilities I can think of are:
>
> a) an autorun.inf file in the root of the drive, or
> b) corruption of the disk shell icon cache (unlikely, but Win95 used to
> suffer badly from this)
>
> --
> Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Denise wrote:

>Thanks for your suggestions. They nudged a memory of something that I did
>about a week ago. I have several ext hdds. They all give me the option to
>open the drive when I turn it on except for the one that had the generic
>drive icon. I thought that if I copied the "autorun" icon from one of the
>other drives and put it on the drive that wouldn't autorun, it would
>autorun.
> blushing I should have remembered that but it escaped me. I just removed
>the icon, rebooted and a drive icon is now there.

I thought the autorun most likely, and it is sometimes very useful to be
able to dictate what icon we get.

Glad we were able to help you fix it.

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]