Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64 bit hardware, compatibility with 32 bit OS

64 bit hardware, compatibility with 32 bit OS

=?Utf-8?B?RFdhdHNvbg==?=

Based on everything I have read here and elsewhere is is accurate that I can
buy 64 bit hardware and intall either 32 or 64 bit OS versions based on what
software i might be loading?

I need to do some software testing, but I just want to ensure that if my
information is bad about the 64 bit stuff i think will work that i can
reimage back to the 32 bit OS version on new hardware for now and try again
in 6 months or so when things catch up. I will have to buy several pieces of
64bit hardware and need to make sure it is a safe plan.

Theo

The only pieces of hardware that are "64-bit" are the
motherboard and the CPU. All other hardware you purchase
will function in a x86 series computer whether it is 8-bit,
16-bit, 32-bit, or 64-bit as long as the board has slots the
hardware will fit into. Obviously you can't plug an ISA
board into a PCI slot, and so forth.

You do need a 64-bit platform, board & CPU, to run 64-bit
operating systems, and you can run either 8-bit, 16-bit,
32-bit, or 64-bit operating systems on an x86 extended
(64-bit) CPU.

Most 32-bit software will run on Win x64 and/or Vista x64.
The biggest problems are when a 32-bit program uses a 16-bit
installer.

DWatson wrote:
> Based on everything I have read here and elsewhere is is accurate that I can
> buy 64 bit hardware and intall either 32 or 64 bit OS versions based on what
> software i might be loading?
>
> I need to do some software testing, but I just want to ensure that if my
> information is bad about the 64 bit stuff i think will work that i can
> reimage back to the 32 bit OS version on new hardware for now and try again
> in 6 months or so when things catch up. I will have to buy several pieces of
> 64bit hardware and need to make sure it is a safe plan.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Assuming we are talking about x64 hardware, the answer is yes, it is
completely compatible with a 32-bit OS. (x64 is Microsoft's word for
hardware that uses the AMD64 instruction set. This includes 64-bit hardware
from AMD, and "EM64T" hardware from Intel. It does NOT include "Itanium" or
"IA64" hardware from Intel.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

"DWatson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Based on everything I have read here and elsewhere is is accurate that I
> can
> buy 64 bit hardware and intall either 32 or 64 bit OS versions based on
> what
> software i might be loading?
>
> I need to do some software testing, but I just want to ensure that if my
> information is bad about the 64 bit stuff i think will work that i can
> reimage back to the 32 bit OS version on new hardware for now and try
> again
> in 6 months or so when things catch up. I will have to buy several pieces
> of
> 64bit hardware and need to make sure it is a safe plan.

John Barnes

If you plan to take an image of your 32 bit system now, and image it back on
new equipment there will be a number of considerations you need to take into
account. Two are, the drivers associated with the new hardware, and how the
drive will enumerate in your configuration. I would add that I haven't had
the luck Theo has had at getting 32-bit programs to run on Vista64. Some
problems are Vista and some related to 64-bit.

"DWatson" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Based on everything I have read here and elsewhere is is accurate that I
> can
> buy 64 bit hardware and intall either 32 or 64 bit OS versions based on
> what
> software i might be loading?
>
> I need to do some software testing, but I just want to ensure that if my
> information is bad about the 64 bit stuff i think will work that i can
> reimage back to the 32 bit OS version on new hardware for now and try
> again
> in 6 months or so when things catch up. I will have to buy several pieces
> of
> 64bit hardware and need to make sure it is a safe plan.

=?Utf-8?B?RFdhdHNvbg==?=

Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.