Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > alt-tab with multiple games open doesn't always work...

alt-tab with multiple games open doesn't always work...

Skybuck Flying

Bye,
Skybuck.

Tony Sperling

Can't say for sure, but doing that between heavy games running in 'full
screen' mode, could mean confusion. Alt-Tab'ing between app's running in
'window' mode shouldn't give you any trouble as long as they aren't
screaming for memory and you have implemented a reasonable 'swapping'
scheme.

Is this XP, or Vista? It may be a driver issue, something that is resolved
'down-the-line'?

Tony. . .

"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:evmt4f$agt$(E-Mail Removed)1.ov.home.nl...

> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Tony Sperling

Also, on XP you have an option to optimize for System Cache or Background
Processes - the system default should serve you well, if you tried tweaking
this, perhaps you should reset it? In addition, some games and sim's might
have an internal option to keep running when they loose focus - FS does,
there's another possible point of conflict?

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can't say for sure, but doing that between heavy games running in 'full
> screen' mode, could mean confusion. Alt-Tab'ing between app's running in
> 'window' mode shouldn't give you any trouble as long as they aren't
> screaming for memory and you have implemented a reasonable 'swapping'
> scheme.
>
> Is this XP, or Vista? It may be a driver issue, something that is resolved
> 'down-the-line'?
>

> Tony. . .
>

> "Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:evmt4f$agt$(E-Mail Removed)1.ov.home.nl...
> >
> > Bye,
> > Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can't say for sure, but doing that between heavy games running in 'full
> screen' mode, could mean confusion. Alt-Tab'ing between app's running in
> 'window' mode shouldn't give you any trouble as long as they aren't
> screaming for memory and you have implemented a reasonable 'swapping'
> scheme.
>
> Is this XP, or Vista? It may be a driver issue, something that is resolved
> 'down-the-line'?

The only two things which have changed:

1. Installed XP SP2.

2. Installed latest X-Fi soundblaster driver.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Tony Sperling

Probably a driver then. The latest may not always be the greatest - I would
either go back to the former sound driver or un-install, then re-install the
video driver to make sure it is familiar with the new environment.

Tony. . .

"Skybuck Flying" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:evobrm$q5n$(E-Mail Removed)1.ov.home.nl...
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Can't say for sure, but doing that between heavy games running in 'full
> > screen' mode, could mean confusion. Alt-Tab'ing between app's running in
> > 'window' mode shouldn't give you any trouble as long as they aren't
> > screaming for memory and you have implemented a reasonable 'swapping'
> > scheme.
> >
> > Is this XP, or Vista? It may be a driver issue, something that is

resolved
> > 'down-the-line'?

> The only two things which have changed:
>
> 1. Installed XP SP2.
>
> 2. Installed latest X-Fi soundblaster driver.
>

> Bye,
> Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Probably a driver then. The latest may not always be the greatest - I
> would
> either go back to the former sound driver or un-install, then re-install
> the
> video driver to make sure it is familiar with the new environment.

Well there was one more thing I changed but thought it wasn't worth
mentioning.

Now play Battlefield 2 with 1920x1200 resolution.

Switching from BF2 to the desktop also freezes.

I keep f*cking around with alt-tab until it works.

Right now something weird happened... it seemed like windows xp 64 bit..
missed an alt key up message... and mouse button up message.

since the shooting in the game was weird and editing notepad was weird as
well.

Tomorrow I am gonna investigate:

1. Switch back resolution to see if that's the problem.

If these problems don't solve it then it's an SP2 problem.

The I'll try:

3. Latest nvidia driver to see if that helps.

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Well, I just deinstalled all creative live software, and openal, and some
other little thingies.

Reinstalled what appears to be audio drivers only:

SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_09_0001.exe

This is a webupdate.

The problem is probably with:

SBXF_PCDRV_LB_2_09_0007.exe

However the instructions said to first fully deinstalled de audio drivers...
I did not do that back then...

But then again version 0001 is working just fine... so gonna keep those.

However I now lost all other creative live software (which I don't really
use).

The only thing I wish that was present is the audio console with the volume
display...

That's not included in the webupdate... which is kinda stupid.

But since I am testing anyway... I might as well give the newer driver one
more chance... by following instructions properly and seeing if it indeed
creates a problem.

So far geometry wars was working just fine with 0001.

So I will now repeat it for 0007

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Amazing,

I tried to deinstall 0001, and rebooted, however it seems impossible without
the original software.

Windows can still play sound !

Creative has made a mess of things as always.

I can't believe these people are not able to deinstall software properply.

Well that means I can't risk testing 0007 anymore because that might create
the problem again.

So now I will simply reinstall the original software and apply update 0001
one more time

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Well I just did a full reinstall of the cd's fortunately they still working
=D

Also installed 0001 and now geometry wars alt-tabs smooth as butter...

Which probably means the rest is smooth as butter as well =D

Yes... because with 0007 my system looked like crap when alt-tabbing...

And now it's the dream pc again which it's supposed to be

I can run quake4, quake3, doom3, and battlefield 2 all four at the same time
=D

Yeahahahahahahaha.

Later today I will play some more BF2... and if I have a problem I will
report back... otherwise consider the problem solved for now...

Ofcourse BF2 does have some sound issue's... after playing for a long
time... the sound sometimes gets corrupted...

However I did not have that problem with doom3 and quake4... so it's seems
BF2 related

So you were correct after all... the latest drivers isn't always the best
drivers

However I might also try some new gfx drivers in a few days... too see how
to works out...

However for now... I still have to see if the problem is really solved.. so
gonna give it a few days =D

Bye,
Skybuck.

Skybuck Flying

Nope,

I never believed the older driver is better than newer driver story anyway.

Spoke to soon, the alt-tabbing problem remains.

This could mean:

1. Battlefield 2 Demo, 1920x1200 resolution problem.

2. Windows XP x64 Pro SP2 problem.

3. Nvidia driver problem.

Hmmm I really wanna play on 1920x1200 resolution, so now gonna try Nvidia
driver update.

If that don't work gonna see if it's a high resolution problem, since BF2
Demo doesn't support it really, it's a command line trick.

Bye,
Skybuck.