Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > I have a chance to do somting diffrent way not Python ?!

I have a chance to do somting diffrent way not Python ?!

anders

Hi!
On my work we have a lot off diffrent server to make software for
diffrent os
from Windows, OS/X to Linux Solaris

Everyting is scripted with shell, but Windows has batchfiles witch is
very
limited, compared to cshell etc.

So my boss has told me that it okej if i want to make somting better
och smooter,
for the windows machine.

First i looked a Ruby but didn't like it to interacting with the os,
nothinh wrong
but my eyes moved to Python becurse syntax is clean and every server
(not windows) has Python as base installed, and in the future i could
then move
the script to run on all servers.

So basicly i like advice about interac with os, compiler etc.
Nice webblinks to read more
and do/don't things.

best regards
Anders

oscartheduck

Hi anders,

try looking here first:

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-os.html
Also:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/pywin32/

On Apr 28, 10:27 am, anders <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hi!
> On my work we have a lot off diffrent server to make software for
> diffrent os
> from Windows, OS/X to Linux Solaris
>
> Everyting is scripted with shell, but Windows has batchfiles witch is
> very
> limited, compared to cshell etc.
>
> So my boss has told me that it okej if i want to make somting better
> och smooter,
> for the windows machine.
>
> First i looked a Ruby but didn't like it to interacting with the os,
> nothinh wrong
> but my eyes moved to Python becurse syntax is clean and every server
> (not windows) has Python as base installed, and in the future i could
> then move
> the script to run on all servers.
>
> So basicly i like advice about interac with os, compiler etc.
> Nice webblinks to read more
> and do/don't things.
>
> best regards
> Anders

Bart Willems

anders wrote:
> So basicly i like advice about interac with os, compiler etc.
> Nice webblinks to read more
> and do/don't things.

Hello Anders,

OS Support for Windows in Python is excellent. I suggest you download
the latest version, and don't forget to download Mark Hammond's win32
library as well. Although it is mainly about COM support and you
probably don't need it, it is always good to have.

After that, work your way through the tutorial. It should give you
enough information to create the scripts that you need. I used the
Manning book to learn Python, but I hear a lot of good stories over here
from 'Python for dummies' as well.

The modules (included in the installation package) that you will need in
your scripts are probably os, sys, and maybe some of the date modules.

I can't think of any "don'ts" - except maybe for the warning that you
should not try to write java or c++ code in Python. So, if there is
anything that seems to me missing, consider a different approach in your
code (a good example is the switch statement...)

Best regards,
Bart

Tim Roberts

anders <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>On my work we have a lot off diffrent server to make software for
>diffrent os from Windows, OS/X to Linux Solaris
>
>Everyting is scripted with shell, but Windows has batchfiles witch is
>very limited, compared to cshell etc.

There are several very good Unix-derived shells available for Windows.
UnxUtils includes a bash and a zsh.
--
Tim Roberts, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
Providenza & Boekelheide, Inc.