Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Wanted: Email Client with GUI

Wanted: Email Client with GUI

Franz Steinhaeusler

Hi, although I have googled, I didn't find a Python
email client program fitting to my needs.

What I want is a program (it doesn't have to be so sophisticated
as thunderbird) written totally in python and using a gui
toolkit like pyqt, pygtk, wxpyhton or tkinter.

Who knows such a program?

best regards,

kyosohma@gmail.com

On Apr 18, 8:07 am, Franz Steinhaeusler <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> Hi, although I have googled, I didn't find a Python
> email client program fitting to my needs.
>
> What I want is a program (it doesn't have to be so sophisticated
> as thunderbird) written totally in python and using a gui
> toolkit like pyqt, pygtk, wxpyhton or tkinter.
>
> Who knows such a program?
>
> best regards,

I'm not finding much either. There is this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/usablemail/

This also looked promising: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Email

It looks like their might be some kind of tkinter email client in the
Programming Python book by Lutz. ( See
http://proquest.safaribooksonline.co...-CHP-11-SECT-4
)

Hope that helps.

Mike

Franz Steinhaeusler

On 18 Apr 2007 07:09:29 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>On Apr 18, 8:07 am, Franz Steinhaeusler <(E-Mail Removed)>
>wrote:
>> Hi, although I have googled, I didn't find a Python
>> email client program fitting to my needs.
>>
>> What I want is a program (it doesn't have to be so sophisticated
>> as thunderbird) written totally in python and using a gui
>> toolkit like pyqt, pygtk, wxpyhton or tkinter.
>>
>> Who knows such a program?
>>
>> best regards,

>I'm not finding much either. There is this: http://sourceforge.net/projects/usablemail/
>
>This also looked promising: http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Email
>
>It looks like their might be some kind of tkinter email client in the
>Programming Python book by Lutz. ( See
>http://proquest.safaribooksonline.co...-CHP-11-SECT-4
>)
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>Mike

Thanks, that I also found already.

I know XPN, which has also some email functionality.

I only wonder, why there doesn't exist a nice one.

Oh, I here, why do you not write such a thing yourself?

It fails on lack of time.

BartlebyScrivener

On Apr 18, 9:25 am, Franz Steinhaeusler <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> >> What I want is a program (it doesn't have to be so sophisticated
> >> as thunderbird) written totally in python and using a gui
> >> toolkit like pyqt, pygtk, wxpyhton or tkinter.

Why reinvent the wheel? Why not use Mutt and then call any Python
script you want from within Mutt. Or use Python modules written for
Mutt.

See, e.g., http://pyropus.ca/software/

rd

Joshua J. Kugler

On Wednesday 18 April 2007 05:07, Franz Steinhaeusler wrote:

> Hi, although I have googled, I didn't find a Python
> email client program fitting to my needs.
>
> What I want is a program (it doesn't have to be so sophisticated
> as thunderbird) written totally in python and using a gui
> toolkit like pyqt, pygtk, wxpyhton or tkinter.
>
> Who knows such a program?

Why not give Chandlar a try? It's mostly python, with some parts written in
C (for speed, I assume).

http://chandler.osafoundation.org/

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/ *ID 0xDB26D7CE

franz.steinhaeusler@gmail.com

Hello, thanks,

Chandler looks good, maybe I will give it a try.

Thanks,