Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Python > Creating an EXE for XLRD + WIN32COM + wxWidgets application - Help request

Creating an EXE for XLRD + WIN32COM + wxWidgets application - Help request

BrendanC

I've started learninhg Python and have developed a small Python app
that imports Excel data into an Access mdb/jet database. This
application has dependencies on the following:

XLRD - http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/xlrd/0.5.2 - (to read Excel
files)
Python windows extensions - http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/
- to use ADO
wxPython GUI toolkit - http://www.wxpython.org/ - for the GUI
interface

Ideally I'd like to create a standalone app that I can deliver to a
client who can will run this on a Windows system that has Access
installed. (Python will not be installed on this system).

I'm planning to use P2YEXE for the build - however I'm not sure if it
is possible to include all the required components for this in a
package. I imagine there may be a few 'gotchas' with this.

Any suggestions on how to do this and are there some additional issues
I might run into?

Thx in advance

BrendanC

Larry Bates

BrendanC wrote:
> I've started learninhg Python and have developed a small Python app
> that imports Excel data into an Access mdb/jet database. This
> application has dependencies on the following:
>
> XLRD - http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/xlrd/0.5.2 - (to read Excel
> files)
> Python windows extensions - http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/
> - to use ADO
> wxPython GUI toolkit - http://www.wxpython.org/ - for the GUI
> interface
>
> Ideally I'd like to create a standalone app that I can deliver to a
> client who can will run this on a Windows system that has Access
> installed. (Python will not be installed on this system).
>
> I'm planning to use P2YEXE for the build - however I'm not sure if it
> is possible to include all the required components for this in a
> package. I imagine there may be a few 'gotchas' with this.
>
> Any suggestions on how to do this and are there some additional issues
> I might run into?
>
> Thx in advance
>
> BrendanC

I can tell you that I've used py2exe to build quite a number of apps
that depended on many different pieces. I have not experience with XLRD
but the other pieces you use work just fine. Check on www.py2exe.org
for docs an wiki. There is also a newsgroup at gmane.comp.python.py2exe
that you can submit questions to if you like. I know that it is
monitored by Mark Hammond, Thomas Heller, and other users of py2exe
that can help you.

-Larry

John Machin

On Apr 12, 11:58 pm, Larry Bates <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> BrendanC wrote:
> > I've started learninhg Python and have developed a small Python app
> > that imports Excel data into an Access mdb/jet database. This
> > application has dependencies on the following:

> > XLRD -http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/xlrd/0.5.2 - (to read Excel
> > files)
> > Python windows extensions -http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/
> > - to use ADO
> > wxPython GUI toolkit -http://www.wxpython.org/- for the GUI
> > interface

> > Ideally I'd like to create a standalone app that I can deliver to a
> > client who can will run this on a Windows system that has Access
> > installed. (Python will not be installed on this system).

> > I'm planning to use P2YEXE for the build - however I'm not sure if it
> > is possible to include all the required components for this in a
> > package. I imagine there may be a few 'gotchas' with this.

> > Any suggestions on how to do this and are there some additional issues
> > I might run into?

> > Thx in advance

> > BrendanC

> I can tell you that I've used py2exe to build quite a number of apps
> that depended on many different pieces. I have not experience with XLRD
> but the other pieces you use work just fine.

xlrd [save wear and tear on the shift key!] up to version 0.6.1 at
least is a pure-Python package with no dependencies on 3rd-party
modules/packages and is very unlikely to cause grief with py2exe; I'd
like to hear any evidence to the contrary PDQ.

The OP is best advised to "just do it"

HTH,
John

winsock2 & wxWidgets: application hangs after reading UDP datagram,then accessing wxTextCtrl Lars Uffmann C++ 7 02-21-2008 11:11 AM
Using pyinstaller to create an .exe, when using win32com kbperry Python 1 04-12-2006 12:05 AM
Please use wxWidgets Nomen Nescio C++ 10 10-07-2004 04:46 PM
wxPython wxWidgets font - boaConstructor Raphael Badin Python 1 04-14-2004 04:52 PM
cygwin and dev-c++ and after that, wxWindows (wxWidgets) Laura Lucas C++ 0 02-24-2004 09:54 PM

Advertisments