Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > how reinstall a disk that cannot format

how reinstall a disk that cannot format

de

after a bad installation I have mbr error
and cannot format the disk;
for to have the prompt c:\ I must insert a floppy for boot;
but if at the prompt I wite format c:
I cannot format;

any ideas?

Tee Jay

de wrote:
> after a bad installation I have mbr error
> and cannot format the disk;
> for to have the prompt c:\ I must insert a floppy for boot;
> but if at the prompt I wite format c:
> I cannot format;
>
> any ideas?

Are you seeing the C drive in BIOS? It sounds like you either need SATA
drivers (F6 and install floppy with drivers) during cd boot or you have
your Hard drives jumpered wrong.
Good Luck
Tee Jay

WebWalker

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 11:51:58 +0200, de <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>after a bad installation I have mbr error
>and cannot format the disk;
>for to have the prompt c:\ I must insert a floppy for boot;
>but if at the prompt I wite format c:
>I cannot format;
>
>any ideas?

Can you boot using Windows CD?
If yes, try to delete the present partition and recreate one.
Windows will do the formatting for you.

--
WebWalker

Brian

Use Fdisk to check the hdd if the partition is there try scandisk /mbr to
recreate the mbr if that doesn't work then re-partition the drive and start
from scratch. Make sure the boot disk is the same or newer than the OS you
are putting on the harddrive, otherwise you cant read the partition ie it
may be FAT32 or NTFS and you are trying to read with FAT16 (your partition
will be listed as non-DOS partition)