Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > More Questions...

More Questions...

CB

Is there some way to test the ram performance to see if it's not being
overloaded or pushed to the limits to where it's shutting down? This
thing just acts slow at everything it trys to do.

The other thing is it keeps on kicking me off the internet too. It
will be on for a bit and then......bye bye

Any more thoughts would be great!!

Thanks in advance

CB ~

Cyber Wo

On Apr 18, 8:56 pm, CB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Is there some way to test the ram performance to see if it's not being
> overloaded or pushed to the limits to where it's shutting down? This
> thing just acts slow at everything it trys to do.
>
> The other thing is it keeps on kicking me off the internet too. It
> will be on for a bit and then......bye bye
>
> Any more thoughts would be great!!
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> CB ~

Yes. XP has a performance monitor. You will have to access the control
panel to get to it and then open it up. It should be running smooth.
If you are constantly running over 50 percent consider getiing more
memory or new computer.

Neil Green

"CB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there some way to test the ram performance to see
> if it's not being
> overloaded or pushed to the limits to where it's
> shutting down? This
> thing just acts slow at everything it trys to do.
>
> The other thing is it keeps on kicking me off the
> internet too. It
> will be on for a bit and then......bye bye
>
> Any more thoughts would be great!!
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> CB ~

The RAM could be faulty but it's unlikely given what
you describe.
Bad RAM will usually cause program crashes, blue
screens, system hangs and the like but not normally a
general slowdown.
If the PC has been running well until recently, and
your internet connection is starting to drop out I'd
check the machine thoroughly for malware/viruses.

Tee Jay

Neil Green wrote:
> "CB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is there some way to test the ram performance to see
>> if it's not being
>> overloaded or pushed to the limits to where it's
>> shutting down? This
>> thing just acts slow at everything it trys to do.
>>
>> The other thing is it keeps on kicking me off the
>> internet too. It
>> will be on for a bit and then......bye bye
>>
>> Any more thoughts would be great!!
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> CB ~

> The RAM could be faulty but it's unlikely given what
> you describe.
> Bad RAM will usually cause program crashes, blue
> screens, system hangs and the like but not normally a
> general slowdown.
> If the PC has been running well until recently, and
> your internet connection is starting to drop out I'd
> check the machine thoroughly for malware/viruses.

Not to change direction but have you (op) updated BIOS? I just built a
Dual Core with a Asus P5VD2-X and it ran slow as heck. Updated BIOS and
it reset memory timings and it rocks now.
Tee Jay