Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Format/reinstall planned

Format/reinstall planned

Autumn

I am planning on formatting my hard drive and reinstalling everything. This
computer is only 5 months old and I have so many problems with it. I have
Win XP on a Toshiba laptop computer. I was wondering if there was a better
order of reinstalling my software? One that would prevent some of the
problems I have like lockups and things taking a long time to do what I
ask/tell it to do? I see from the recovery CD that I will have the choice of
programs I want to install, that should help, as I had to take so much off
that I don't use.

Actually I will probably do the same thing to my older desktop as soon as I
get one done.

Thank you.

babaloo

Before you wipe out your drive make sure you back up your files.
Also before you wipe out your drive you might be able to find what is
slowing your computer.
Run every Virus and Spyware program you can.
See what loads at startup: if you reconfigure your hard drive after wiping
and reinstalling to the way it was before you will have the same problems.
Firewall/Spam filters, Itunes, Real Player, Quicken, MS Office, Corel Draw,
Adobe Reader ad infinitum install background processes that do not need to
run.
Try running the Windows defrag program.
Get the latest Video drivers: these change for notebooks as well as
desktops.

- Bobb -

STOP!

This 'recovery CD' is going to fetch the image off the D partition of
the hard drive in there now ? Then don't format the drive - as you'll
wipe it out. If you have a FULL version of the operating system, fine,
but how about we ask:
was it bad from day one ? Or did you add some hardware /drivers to it ?
Have you already uninstalled all of the "stuff that you do not use"? If
not - start there.
Boot in safe mode - does that work OK ?

"Autumn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:gzMUh.15339$(E-Mail Removed) et...
>I am planning on formatting my hard drive and reinstalling everything.
>This computer is only 5 months old and I have so many problems with it.
>I have Win XP on a Toshiba laptop computer. I was wondering if there
>was a better order of reinstalling my software? One that would prevent
>some of the problems I have like lockups and things taking a long time
>to do what I ask/tell it to do? I see from the recovery CD that I will
>have the choice of programs I want to install, that should help, as I
>had to take so much off that I don't use.
>
> Actually I will probably do the same thing to my older desktop as soon
> as I get one done.
>
> Thank you.

jtees4

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:25:00 GMT, "Autumn"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am planning on formatting my hard drive and reinstalling everything. This
>computer is only 5 months old and I have so many problems with it. I have
>Win XP on a Toshiba laptop computer. I was wondering if there was a better
>order of reinstalling my software? One that would prevent some of the
>problems I have like lockups and things taking a long time to do what I
>ask/tell it to do? I see from the recovery CD that I will have the choice of
>programs I want to install, that should help, as I had to take so much off
>that I don't use.
>
>Actually I will probably do the same thing to my older desktop as soon as I
>get one done.
>
>Thank you.

Did you try System Restore and go back as far as you can before you go
through a reinstall?

Cyber Wo

On Apr 20, 5:48 pm, jtees4 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 15:25:00 GMT, "Autumn"
>
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I am planning on formatting my hard drive and reinstalling everything. This
> >computer is only 5 months old and I have so many problems with it. I have
> >Win XP on a Toshiba laptop computer. I was wondering if there was a better
> >order of reinstalling my software? One that would prevent some of the
> >problems I have like lockups and things taking a long time to do what I
> >ask/tell it to do? I see from the recovery CD that I will have the choice of
> >programs I want to install, that should help, as I had to take so much off
> >that I don't use.

> >Actually I will probably do the same thing to my older desktop as soon as I
> >get one done.

> >Thank you.

> Did you try System Restore and go back as far as you can before you go
> through a reinstall?

Are you sure you have the option to do a complete reinstall?