Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Alienware and slow computers

Alienware and slow computers

Ernie Werbel

Good morning,

I have been absolutely blown away by the new Alienware computers I have
seen. They don't appear to run slow at all (unlike so many others I have
used). However I am a bit weary as I have not had much luck with some new
computers (both projects and purchased) lately. I built my last PC back in
December (AMD X2 Athlon 64 3800+) and it booted smoothly and ran fine for
the first week. But even after installing only minimal software (the usual
office type programs) after a few weeks it runs slower than mollasses
flowing uphill. Even now it hangs on Windows XP loading and takes about
five minutes before I can start using it. I have run defrag/scandisk/Norton
and it is still slow.

At any rate, I'm not here to gripe about my current PC, but rather I would
like to know if anyone here owns or has at the very least tried a new
Alienware system and could tell me about their experience with it. If I am
to spend upwards of $3,000.00 on a new computer I would expect it to work
flawlessly 24 hours a day (and not become "obsolete" for at least five
years) but the way things are going these days I don't know.

Thanks anyone for your time and response

Ernie

Paul

Ernie Werbel wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I have been absolutely blown away by the new Alienware computers I have
> seen. They don't appear to run slow at all (unlike so many others I have
> used). However I am a bit weary as I have not had much luck with some new
> computers (both projects and purchased) lately. I built my last PC back in
> December (AMD X2 Athlon 64 3800+) and it booted smoothly and ran fine for
> the first week. But even after installing only minimal software (the usual
> office type programs) after a few weeks it runs slower than mollasses
> flowing uphill. Even now it hangs on Windows XP loading and takes about
> five minutes before I can start using it. I have run defrag/scandisk/Norton
> and it is still slow.
>
> At any rate, I'm not here to gripe about my current PC, but rather I would
> like to know if anyone here owns or has at the very least tried a new
> Alienware system and could tell me about their experience with it. If I am
> to spend upwards of $3,000.00 on a new computer I would expect it to work
> flawlessly 24 hours a day (and not become "obsolete" for at least five
> years) but the way things are going these days I don't know.
>
> Thanks anyone for your time and response
>
> Ernie

http://www.epinions.com/Alienware_PC...tores_Services

Paul

Ernie Werbel

"Paul" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:evvvfa$mjj$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ernie Werbel wrote:
>> Good morning,
>>
>> I have been absolutely blown away by the new Alienware computers I have
>> seen. They don't appear to run slow at all (unlike so many others I have
>> used). However I am a bit weary as I have not had much luck with some
>> new computers (both projects and purchased) lately. I built my last PC
>> back in December (AMD X2 Athlon 64 3800+) and it booted smoothly and ran
>> fine for the first week. But even after installing only minimal software
>> (the usual office type programs) after a few weeks it runs slower than
>> mollasses flowing uphill. Even now it hangs on Windows XP loading and
>> takes about five minutes before I can start using it. I have run
>> defrag/scandisk/Norton and it is still slow.
>>
>> At any rate, I'm not here to gripe about my current PC, but rather I
>> would like to know if anyone here owns or has at the very least tried a
>> new Alienware system and could tell me about their experience with it.
>> If I am to spend upwards of $3,000.00 on a new computer I would expect it
>> to work flawlessly 24 hours a day (and not become "obsolete" for at least
>> five years) but the way things are going these days I don't know.
>>
>> Thanks anyone for your time and response
>>
>> Ernie

> http://www.epinions.com/Alienware_PC...tores_Services
>
> Paul

Thanks for the link, Paul. After reading some of these I think I will hold
off for a while longer!

Ernie

Robert Baer

Ernie Werbel wrote:
> Good morning,
>
> I have been absolutely blown away by the new Alienware computers I have
> seen. They don't appear to run slow at all (unlike so many others I have
> used). However I am a bit weary as I have not had much luck with some new
> computers (both projects and purchased) lately. I built my last PC back in
> December (AMD X2 Athlon 64 3800+) and it booted smoothly and ran fine for
> the first week. But even after installing only minimal software (the usual
> office type programs) after a few weeks it runs slower than mollasses
> flowing uphill. Even now it hangs on Windows XP loading and takes about
> five minutes before I can start using it. I have run defrag/scandisk/Norton
> and it is still slow.
>
> At any rate, I'm not here to gripe about my current PC, but rather I would
> like to know if anyone here owns or has at the very least tried a new
> Alienware system and could tell me about their experience with it. If I am
> to spend upwards of $3,000.00 on a new computer I would expect it to work
> flawlessly 24 hours a day (and not become "obsolete" for at least five
> years) but the way things are going these days I don't know.
>
> Thanks anyone for your time and response
>
> Ernie

There are at least two major factors why it is slow: 1) you are using
XP - use Win2K instead or better yet Win98SE; 2) Norton AV is a pig
running on that pig and is a POS - use AVG instead; 3) you undoubtedly
have the "call home" feature turned on - turn off and disable *all*
so-called automatic updates (you may have up to 6 of these programs
running "in the background). Do that manually for anti spyware and AV
software only; leave the OS alone as at least half of the "updates" from
M$ are worse than not having any at all.

tony sayer

In article <m5MUh.22075$(E-Mail Removed). net>,
Robert Baer <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>Ernie Werbel wrote:
>> Good morning,
>>
>> I have been absolutely blown away by the new Alienware computers I have
>> seen. They don't appear to run slow at all (unlike so many others I have
>> used). However I am a bit weary as I have not had much luck with some new
>> computers (both projects and purchased) lately. I built my last PC back in
>> December (AMD X2 Athlon 64 3800+) and it booted smoothly and ran fine for
>> the first week. But even after installing only minimal software (the usual
>> office type programs) after a few weeks it runs slower than mollasses
>> flowing uphill. Even now it hangs on Windows XP loading and takes about
>> five minutes before I can start using it. I have run defrag/scandisk/Norton
>> and it is still slow.
>>
>> At any rate, I'm not here to gripe about my current PC, but rather I would
>> like to know if anyone here owns or has at the very least tried a new
>> Alienware system and could tell me about their experience with it. If I am
>> to spend upwards of $3,000.00 on a new computer I would expect it to work
>> flawlessly 24 hours a day (and not become "obsolete" for at least five
>> years) but the way things are going these days I don't know.
>>
>> Thanks anyone for your time and response
>>
>> Ernie
>>

> There are at least two major factors why it is slow: 1) you are using
>XP - use Win2K instead

Yep Win 2K was the best prog that Microsoft ever produced

>or better yet Win98SE;

Nah full of memory leak problems etc was glad to see the back of it!.

>2) Norton AV is a pig
>running on that pig and is a POS - use AVG instead;

Yep agree on that!.

--
Tony Sayer