Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > netscape 7.2

netscape 7.2

pluto

I have been using netscape 7.2 for a long time. No ads, no junk, no
problems.
While I was using it a window opens from a geneology program asking did
I want to make new info permanent and and several other oddities over a
minute. Closed it down and looked for any hacking. none that could be found.
Reopened Netscape and it wanted a new id; wouldn't accept default. said
it was in use. Added an additional id and opened.
The damned program was a new 7.2 apparently. All my bookmarks, home
pages, etc were gone. New AOL adwares loaded and the Weather Channel
wanted to load. Said no but they were on my desktop anyway. Last time I
loaded the "weather channel" it invaded everything.
Got rid of the whole thing. As always cookies blocked, popups blocked,
firewalls up, Spybot, Ad aware SE,etc. Norton didn't stop anything.
Trouble is Netscape 8.0, Firefox, Internet Explorer have a lot more
access from "advertisers" than the old browser. The search engines
appear to be determined to force advertising on you and monitor what you
visit.
Scans clean. Looking for a better search engine.
I guess the new or not so new concept that Business owns so controls
what we see. Just like TV, in a few years, we will have to watch a
advertising, for feminine pads, while we check our mail, or kids look
for information for homework. I guess you have noticed, just about
anytime you visit a news site or just about anything you get video ads

Paul

pluto wrote:
> I have been using netscape 7.2 for a long time. No ads, no junk, no
> problems.
> While I was using it a window opens from a geneology program asking did
> I want to make new info permanent and and several other oddities over a
> minute. Closed it down and looked for any hacking. none that could be
> found.
> Reopened Netscape and it wanted a new id; wouldn't accept default. said
> it was in use. Added an additional id and opened.
> The damned program was a new 7.2 apparently. All my bookmarks, home
> pages, etc were gone. New AOL adwares loaded and the Weather Channel
> wanted to load. Said no but they were on my desktop anyway. Last time I
> loaded the "weather channel" it invaded everything.
> Got rid of the whole thing. As always cookies blocked, popups blocked,
> firewalls up, Spybot, Ad aware SE,etc. Norton didn't stop anything.
> Trouble is Netscape 8.0, Firefox, Internet Explorer have a lot more
> access from "advertisers" than the old browser. The search engines
> appear to be determined to force advertising on you and monitor what you
> visit.
> Scans clean. Looking for a better search engine.
> I guess the new or not so new concept that Business owns so controls
> what we see. Just like TV, in a few years, we will have to watch a
> advertising, for feminine pads, while we check our mail, or kids look
> for information for homework. I guess you have noticed, just about
> anytime you visit a news site or just about anything you get video ads

What I did was disable Flash on Firefox, and leave it enabled on IE.
Do most browsing on Firefox, and if a site that is using Flash for a
good reason comes along, switch to IE for a moment and do whatever is
necessary. Then switch back to Firefox. Cuts down on the "video problem"
a bit. The adverts that replace the Flash ads, are still animated gifs,
and almost as annoying.

You can enter "aboutlugins" in Firefox, to find out what plugins are
running. The guilty party will then be named for you. It may take a few
experiments to get the plugins disabled.

As for the weird behavior at the beginning of your post, use a different
scanning tool. There is bound to be something on your system.

Paul