Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > Summit Photofix Scanner

Summit Photofix Scanner

John Lee

Has anybody any experience with this gadget? Does it work OK and meet the
claims made? And especially interesting is the claim to be able to transfer
negatives to jpg. Does this mean that the jpg will end up with the colours
correctly turned around for proper viewing, or will they remain in original
negative colours? Thanks for any help with this. John

Paul

John Lee wrote:
> Has anybody any experience with this gadget? Does it work OK and meet the
> claims made? And especially interesting is the claim to be able to transfer
> negatives to jpg. Does this mean that the jpg will end up with the colours
> correctly turned around for proper viewing, or will they remain in original
> negative colours? Thanks for any help with this. John

My old scanner has that ability, and the scanning software inverts
the colors. You have to tell the scanning software, what kind of
film is being used, for the inversion to be done properly. My scanner
lacks sufficient resolution, to make such conversions worthwhile.
(I only ever converted one negative, which tells you what I thought
of it. The result was grainy.)

The one web page I could find, has no specs for hardware performance
for the Summit Photofix Scanner. The resolution is listed as 3600DPI,
but the evil word "interpolated" is used as well.

Scanners generally have a "D", which is a logarithmic contrast ratio.
A D of 3.0 would be 1000:1 contrast. Scanners used to be compared,
based on numbers like that. The better the D, the more you'll be able
to pull detail out of shadows.

The sensor in your device, is a CMOS digital camera sensor. Scanners
normally use a linear CCD array (1xN), and they actually scan. The
above device is basically just a digital camera, and it is snapping
a picture of the entire negative in one shot. That is why it can do
the scan in one second. Using LEDs to illuminate the target, also
seems a bit suspect (white LEDs have a blue spike in their spectral
response).

Without reading a review, I would not buy it. You would just be
throwing away 99.95. Some negative scanners offer 4000DPI resolution,
and that is without interpolation. And somehow, I doubt the CMOS camera
sensor, is going to have a D of better than 3.0.

This site mentions some of the devices meant to do a good job. The prices
of these are well past reasonable, but if you really want the best conversion
from negative form, to your computer, they are money well spent. As was
obvious with my own scanner experiment, I wouldn't even have published my
photo on a web page, it was so bad, let alone printed it. At least the
color conversion wasn't bad.

http://www.flatbed-scanner-review.or...nner_list.html

Paul

More Than 1,500 MVPs Attend 2005 MVP Global Summit Billy.Christal Wireless Networking 0 10-14-2005 12:00 AM
extreme summit 400 switch: connecting 2 switches via utp tom Cisco 1 04-06-2005 02:06 PM
XTECH 2005 - News Summit, OASIS Open Standards Day -additional discounts available now! melledge XML 0 03-15-2005 06:27 PM
Security summit nerd32768 MCSE 0 06-10-2004 05:49 PM
Cisco Catalyst vs Extreme Summit Scott Hall Cisco 4 12-23-2003 04:54 PM

Advertisments