Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Information > thumb drive problem with Windows 98

thumb drive problem with Windows 98

dh@.

I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
would work. Having been led to believe it would take
care of everything by itself, when it asked about
drives I just hit the next buttons thinking it would
figure it out. I was online at the time, and it asked if
I wanted it to find the driver(s) online so I said okay.
It did whatever it did, and I haven't gotten a thing
out of it since. Putting it in does nothing, and I've
been able to find no icons or anything for it, etc.

It is a Kingston DataTraveler DTI/1GB. I read the
Read Me at:

http://tinyurl.com/2thq64

and downloaded the driver. Thinking that something
mut have gotten screwed up the first time I put it in,
I tried following this:
Q. During the installation of the Data Traveler the Hardware Wizard did
not locate a proper driver for the Data Traveler and now there is an
"Other Devices" listed in the Device Manager and the new drive letter
for the Data Traveler is not displayed in "My Computer."

A. You have not properly installed the drivers for your Data Traveler. In
order to resolve you will need to first download the appropriate driver.
Please use the URL provided to download the proper DTI driver.
http://www.kingston.com/support/down...tatrav/DTI.EXE
Be sure to download this driver to a location that you can remember.
Now you will need to update the driver for the Data Traveler listed under
"Other Devices." In order to do this, please follow the steps provided.

1)In Device Manager, Right click on the Data Traveler listed
under "Other Devices," and select "Properties."
2)Access the "Driver" tab and select "Update Driver." This will
begin the "Update Driver Wizard."
3)During the "Update Driver Wizard" be sure to select the
"Search for a better driver" option and click next.
4)In the "search for updated drivers," window, make sure "Specify
a location," is the only option selected, then click Browse.
5)Locate the driver that you have previously downloaded and click
O.K.
6)Now you are ready to install the drivers for the Data Traveler.
Click Next>Next>Finished.
7)Once you close the "Update Device Driver Wizard," the
installation should complete and a new
"Removable Disk," icon should display in "My Computer."

but there is nothing called "Other Devices" that I can find on this
PC, and so there is no Data Traveler listed under "Other Devices".
I'm using Windows 98, not SE afaik, so is that part of it? Will these
things just not work with regular Windows 98?

When things didn't work out like the instructions suggested they
would during the first attempt I made, I did all this:
Windows 98SE Users:

NOTE: DO NOT INSERT DATATRAVELER I BEFORE THE DRIVER
IS INSTALLED AND SYSTEM HAS REBOOTED!

1. Download the file named "DTI.EXE".

2. Decompress the "DTI.EXE" file by double clicking on it. Extract it to
a location of your choice. Be sure to note the location where the files
are extracted. The default location is c:\temp

3. Double click on the DTI.exe icon in the location from step 2 to start
the installation program.

4. Follow the directions on the screen. Click "Yes" and "Next" where
appropriate.

5. The Install Shield will display a "Please remove DataTraveler 2.0"
information message. Please confirm that the DataTraveler is not
plugged into the USB port, then click OK.

6. Windows will install the appropriate driver for the DataTraveler, then
display: "InstallShield Wizard Complete." You will also be prompted
to restart your computer. Please select "Yes, I want to restart my
computer now" then click Finish.

7. DO NOT INSERT THE DATATRAVELER YET! A driver database
will build itself and you will then receive a message which reads,
"You may insert the DataTraveler 2.0 device at anytime." DO NOT
INSERT THE DATATRAVELER YET! Please click Finish and allow
the computer to completely reboot prior to inserting the DataTraveler
into the USB port.

but still when I insert the device nothing happens. If my system can't
even detect the device, then it seems that it wouldn't have been able
to try setting up drivers for it the first time I plugged it in. But if it can
detect the thing, why won't it work now that I have installed the right
driver?

Thanks for any help!
David

Frank McCoy

In alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt dh@. wrote:

>I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
>would work. Having been led to believe it would take
>care of everything by itself, when it asked about
>drives I just hit the next buttons thinking it would
>figure it out.

Um ... That works for Win-XP; but not for Win-98 (as you just found
out).

>I was online at the time, and it asked if
>I wanted it to find the driver(s) online so I said okay.
>It did whatever it did, and I haven't gotten a thing
>out of it since. Putting it in does nothing, and I've
>been able to find no icons or anything for it, etc.
>
>It is a Kingston DataTraveler DTI/1GB. I read the
>Read Me at:
>
>http://tinyurl.com/2thq64
>
>and downloaded the driver. Thinking that something
>mut have gotten screwed up the first time I put it in,
>I tried following this:
>_________________________________________________ ________
>Q. During the installation of the Data Traveler the Hardware Wizard did
>not locate a proper driver for the Data Traveler and now there is an
>"Other Devices" listed in the Device Manager and the new drive letter
>for the Data Traveler is not displayed in "My Computer."
>
>A. You have not properly installed the drivers for your Data Traveler. In
>order to resolve you will need to first download the appropriate driver.
>Please use the URL provided to download the proper DTI driver.
> http://www.kingston.com/support/down...tatrav/DTI.EXE
>Be sure to download this driver to a location that you can remember.
>Now you will need to update the driver for the Data Traveler listed under
>"Other Devices." In order to do this, please follow the steps provided.
>
> 1)In Device Manager, Right click on the Data Traveler listed
> under "Other Devices," and select "Properties."
> 2)Access the "Driver" tab and select "Update Driver." This will
> begin the "Update Driver Wizard."
> 3)During the "Update Driver Wizard" be sure to select the
> "Search for a better driver" option and click next.
> 4)In the "search for updated drivers," window, make sure "Specify
> a location," is the only option selected, then click Browse.
> 5)Locate the driver that you have previously downloaded and click
> O.K.
> 6)Now you are ready to install the drivers for the Data Traveler.
> Click Next>Next>Finished.
> 7)Once you close the "Update Device Driver Wizard," the
> installation should complete and a new
> "Removable Disk," icon should display in "My Computer."
>¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
>but there is nothing called "Other Devices" that I can find on this
>PC, and so there is no Data Traveler listed under "Other Devices".
>I'm using Windows 98, not SE afaik, so is that part of it? Will these
>things just not work with regular Windows 98?

In Win-98:
Start => Settings => Control Panel => System => Device Manager
The "Other Devices" should show up in this case with a big yellow
question-mark.

BTW: 98, not SE, sucks really bad when it comes to large devices.

--
_____
/ ' / ™

meerkat

<dh@.> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
> would work.

snipped the rest of the post.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263218

Tells you about 98 and USB.

Pipboy

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:01:10 -0500, Frank McCoy wrote:

> Um ... That works for Win-XP; but not for Win-98 (as you just found
> out).

Works for WinME too which is an updated Win98 so it was half right.

Peter

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dh@. says...
> I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
> would work. Having been led to believe it would take
> care of everything by itself, when it asked about
> drives I just hit the next buttons thinking it would
> figure it out. I was online at the time, and it asked if
> I wanted it to find the driver(s) online so I said okay.
> It did whatever it did, and I haven't gotten a thing
> out of it since. Putting it in does nothing, and I've
> been able to find no icons or anything for it, etc.

How long ago did you do this? It may be possible to roll back your
registry to before the original attempt to install, if done soon enough.

Do you know about pressing F8 during startup to give you various boot
options? If you can then do so and select 'command prompt' from the
list. Once at the command prompt type:

scanreg /restore

This should bring up a list of previously saved registry backups.
Hopefully you can roll the registry back to a date before the install.

If you were successful you can install the drivers as per the
instructions and hopefully your memory stick will be detected
successfully afterwards.

--
Pete Ives

dh@.

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:30:39 GMT, "meerkat" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

><dh@.> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
>> would work.

>snipped the rest of the post.
>>

>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263218
>
>Tells you about 98 and USB.

Thanks, but I couldn't find anything there that helped.

dh@.

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:01:10 -0500, Frank McCoy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> [...]

>> a location," is the only option selected, then click Browse.
>> 5)Locate the driver that you have previously downloaded and click
>> O.K.
>> 6)Now you are ready to install the drivers for the Data Traveler.
>> Click Next>Next>Finished.
>> 7)Once you close the "Update Device Driver Wizard," the
>> installation should complete and a new
>> "Removable Disk," icon should display in "My Computer."
>>
>>but there is nothing called "Other Devices" that I can find on this
>>PC, and so there is no Data Traveler listed under "Other Devices".
>>I'm using Windows 98, not SE afaik, so is that part of it? Will these
>>things just not work with regular Windows 98?
>>

>In Win-98:
>Start => Settings => Control Panel => System => Device Manager
>The "Other Devices" should show up in this case with a big yellow

It's not there. No "Other Devices", and I can't find Data Traveler
listed under anything else either.

>BTW: 98, not SE, sucks really bad when it comes to large devices.

I don't doubt it but that's what I've got, so I'm trying to make it work.

dh@.

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:09:27 GMT, Peter <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, dh@. says...
>> I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
>> would work. Having been led to believe it would take
>> care of everything by itself, when it asked about
>> drives I just hit the next buttons thinking it would
>> figure it out. I was online at the time, and it asked if
>> I wanted it to find the driver(s) online so I said okay.
>> It did whatever it did, and I haven't gotten a thing
>> out of it since. Putting it in does nothing, and I've
>> been able to find no icons or anything for it, etc.
>>

>How long ago did you do this?

Yesterday.

>It may be possible to roll back your
>registry to before the original attempt to install, if done soon enough.
>
>Do you know about pressing F8 during startup to give you various boot
>options?

I remember something like that to get into safe mode...
keep tapping F8 while it's booting up and it will eventually
bring up some options?

>If you can then do so and select 'command prompt' from the
>list. Once at the command prompt type:
>
>scanreg /restore
>
>This should bring up a list of previously saved registry backups.
>Hopefully you can roll the registry back to a date before the install.

How?

>If you were successful you can install the drivers as per the
>instructions and hopefully your memory stick will be detected
>successfully afterwards.

So if I do the roll back thing will it uninstall the drivers? Or
do I need to delete them, do try the roll back trick, and then
install them again?

Franc Zabkar

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 12:45:06 -0400, dh@. put finger to keyboard and
composed:

>I was told to just put the drive in the USB slot and it
>would work.

Assuming that you can get other USB devices (eg printer, mouse,
scanner) to work, then try the freeware Maximus Decim Native USB
driver pack:

http://rapidshare.com/files/19858514/nusb31e.exe.html

You can also use a Win98 utility called usbview.exe to detect USB
devices even if their drivers are not loaded. Usbview should be on
your Win98 CD.

- Franc Zabkar

dh@.

On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 18:27:30 -0400, dh@. wrote:

>On Tue, 10 Apr 2007 13:01:10 -0500, Frank McCoy <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>BTW: 98, not SE, sucks really bad when it comes to large devices.

> I don't doubt it but that's what I've got, so I'm trying to make it work.

Oops, I might have been wrong about that. Looking at the general
system properties it says Windows 98 Second Edition 4.10.2222A, so
maybe it will work if I can get it working...