Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Should my PC be sending and receiving data onto/from the internet on its own?

Should my PC be sending and receiving data onto/from the internet on its own?

admyc

Hello,

I think I might have some sort of mal-ware on my computer. The reason
for this is that my anti-virus software (AVG free 7) has recently
found and deleted (I think) some viruses all of which had 'Trojan
horse downloader' in part of their name and since then my MSIE6
browser has been slightly odd, for example when I click on its icon to
launch MSIE6 and my computer connects to the internet over its dial-up
connection the MSIE browser window takes a lot longer to appear then
it used to.

But my real concern and question is that I have noticed, when I look
at my Internet connection status dialogue box, that data is being sent
even though I have only one web-page up and it has long since finished
downloading, is this a sign of mal-ware that is sending info and or
files from my computer to another computer over my internet connection
or could it be some innocent process going on in the background?

Any help very much appreciated.

AM

David H. Lipman

From: "admyc" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Hello,
|
| I think I might have some sort of mal-ware on my computer. The reason
| for this is that my anti-virus software (AVG free 7) has recently
| found and deleted (I think) some viruses all of which had 'Trojan
| horse downloader' in part of their name and since then my MSIE6
| browser has been slightly odd, for example when I click on its icon to
| launch MSIE6 and my computer connects to the internet over its dial-up
| connection the MSIE browser window takes a lot longer to appear then
| it used to.
|
| But my real concern and question is that I have noticed, when I look
| at my Internet connection status dialogue box, that data is being sent
| even though I have only one web-page up and it has long since finished
| downloading, is this a sign of mal-ware that is sending info and or
| files from my computer to another computer over my internet connection
| or could it be some innocent process going on in the background?
|
| Any help very much appreciated.
|
| AM

Download MULTI_AV.EXE from the URL --
http://www.pctipp.ch/downloads/dl/35905.asp

Choose; Unzip
Choose; Close

Execute; C:\AV-CLS\StartMenu.BAT

This will bring up the initial menu of choices and should be executed in Normal Mode.
This way all the components can be downloaded from each AV vendor's web site.
The choices are; Sophos, Trend, McAfee, Kaspersky, Exit this menu and Reboot the PC.

file.

Additional Instructions:
http://pcdid.com/Multi_AV.htm

Dave