Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Is there any ...

Is there any ...

Gromada

.... conceptual model that can be used for describing and visualizing
features and interdependence of security system elements?

Todd H.

Gromada <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> ... conceptual model that can be used for describing and visualizing
> features and interdependence of security system elements?

Yes.

Why do you ask?

--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

Jim Watt

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:19:01 +0200, Gromada
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>... conceptual model that can be used for describing and visualizing
>features and interdependence of security system elements?

I liken computer security to building a wall, one of the
traditional elements in physical security. It might also
be like a box of chocolates, including the spring surprise.

Or it could be likened to the sound of one hand clapping.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Rick Merrill

Jim Watt wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:19:01 +0200, Gromada
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> ... conceptual model that can be used for describing and visualizing
>> features and interdependence of security system elements?

> I liken computer security to building a wall, one of the
> traditional elements in physical security. It might also
> be like a box of chocolates, including the spring surprise.
>
> Or it could be likened to the sound of one hand clapping.
> --
> Jim Watt
> http://www.gibnet.com

"you never know what you're going to get" - F. Gump

Rick Merrill

Gromada wrote:
> ... conceptual model that can be used for describing and visualizing
> features and interdependence of security system elements?

The difficulty of breaking in should be proportional to the value of
what's being protected.

Gromada

Todd H. said the following on 20.04.2007 20:37:
> Gromada <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>> ... conceptual model that can be used for describing and visualizing
>> features and interdependence of security system elements?

> Yes.

> Why do you ask?

I can't find any...
It's quite a paintfull to explain (to the boss or to the customers)
security issues without some visualisation and without consistent
conceptual model. If there isn't any, than I'll just have to build one .

Rick Merrill

Gromada wrote:
> Todd H. said the following on 20.04.2007 20:37:
>> Gromada <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

>>> ... conceptual model that can be used for describing and visualizing
>>> features and interdependence of security system elements?

>> Yes.

>> Why do you ask?

> I can't find any...
> It's quite a paintfull to explain (to the boss or to the customers)
> security issues without some visualisation and without consistent
> conceptual model. If there isn't any, than I'll just have to build one .

like this?
http://194.7.80.153/website/book.asp...2Fch04s03.html

Jim Watt

On Fri, 20 Apr 2007 16:20:16 -0400, Rick Merrill
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Gromada wrote:
>> ... conceptual model that can be used for describing and visualizing
>> features and interdependence of security system elements?

>The difficulty of breaking in should be proportional to the value of
>what's being protected.

Thats where the wall model comes in, because the height can be
increased, barbed wire added, but if there is a door someone
has to hold the keys.
--
Jim Watt
http://www.gibnet.com

Gromada

Rick Merrill said the following on 21.04.2007 01:48:
> Gromada wrote:
>> Todd H. said the following on 20.04.2007 20:37:

>>> Yes.

>>> Why do you ask?

>> I can't find any...
>> It's quite a paintfull to explain (to the boss or to the customers)
>> security issues without some visualisation and without consistent
>> conceptual model. If there isn't any, than I'll just have to build one
>> .

> like this?
> http://194.7.80.153/website/book.asp...2Fch04s03.html

Nice, but not good enough.
Thnx for link!

Rick Merrill

Gromada wrote:
> Rick Merrill said the following on 21.04.2007 01:48:
>> Gromada wrote:

>>> I can't find any...
>>> It's quite a paintfull to explain (to the boss or to the customers)
>>> security issues without some visualisation and without consistent
>>> conceptual model. If there isn't any, than I'll just have to build one
>>> .

>> like this?
>> http://194.7.80.153/website/book.asp...2Fch04s03.html

> Nice, but not good enough.