Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Security > Free Adobe Reader 8

Free Adobe Reader 8

Vanguard

newsHSTh.79$jR5.26@trnddc08...
> From: "Code name 47" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

> | Compatible for both windows XP and Vista
> |

> You have been spamming you web site in many news groups now.
>
> Please stop.

Oh c'mon. You really think this Pakistani spammer is going to stop and
play nice?

Leythos

On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:50:45 +0000, Ron Lopshire wrote:

> Except that PDFs only print efficiently on Postscript printers.

I differ with that statement - we use PCL5 and PCL5e printers with
printing PDF all the time and never have issues.

With todays printers (in the last 10 years) PDF's print efficiently on any
of them, provided the driver isn't crappy (read Brother).

--
Leythos
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (remove 999 for proper email address)

David H. Lipman

From: "Vanguard" <(E-Mail Removed)>

| Oh c'mon. You really think this Pakistani spammer is going to stop and
| play nice?

No. But I did ask nicely in public.

--
Dave
http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

Ron Lopshire

Leythos wrote:

> On Sat, 14 Apr 2007 16:50:45 +0000, Ron Lopshire wrote:
>
>>Except that PDFs only print efficiently on Postscript printers.

> I differ with that statement - we use PCL5 and PCL5e printers with
> printing PDF all the time and never have issues.
>
> With todays printers (in the last 10 years) PDF's print efficiently on any
> of them, provided the driver isn't crappy (read Brother).

I buy and use a lot of re-furbished HP LaserJets. And you are right,
Leythos, they are and have been getting better. Much better. But if I
take a normal image (10 to 100 KB, JPEG), printing the image in a PDF is
much, much slower than printing the same image in any other format such
as all of the MS Office apps.

My point about PDFs is that the format is abused only slightly less than
the Flash format. The use of PDF is warranted in many cases, but putting
a 20 KB JPEG inside of a 1.5 MB PDF, and then forcing me to download it
is ridiculous. I didn't switch from dial-up to broadband in order to
promote such senselessness. [bg]

My first experience with PDFs was with IRS documents on Kyocera LaserJet
(6 ppm). If I wanted to file my taxes by April 15, I had to start
printing the forms in February. LOL.

OMG, today is April 15th. Damn. [g]

Ron

Rick Merrill

Notan wrote:
> Or you can do what everyone else in the world has done, and download
> it directly from Adobe:
>
> http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html

your pointer was the only one that worked - how'd you know about it?

By the bye, loading Adobe Reader 8.0 clobbered SonicWall VPN world
client - wtf?

Ertugrul Soeylemez

Ron Lopshire <(E-Mail Removed)> (07-04-14 16:50:45):

> Except that PDFs only print efficiently on Postscript printers. Gee,
> do you think that has anything to do with both being proprietary (at
> least to start) technologies of Adobe. [g]

I cannot confirm that first statement. About the second, many of the
formats we use are/were proprietary. To name just a few: JPEG, MPEG,
ZIP. Are those necessarily bad? You have to use neither Adobe
products, nor products from the Fraunhofer Institut.

Why is it that way? It's because the specifications of those formats
are open. Some are patented, but we still use them, because they fit a
particular purpose well, and there are tools freely available.

You will agree that PS/PDF documents, if created properly, have
excellent qualtity. That's why most scientific books and articles are
originally written in LaTeX and then published as PS and/or PDF.

> > > Would someone please explain to me why the information
> > > contained in the above PDF warrants a 1.5 MB document?

> > Nothing. This is like receiving pictures as Powerpoint files. PDF
> > is just misused for something, which it hasn't been made for.
> > That's not PDF's fault, it's the user's.

> Of course it is. Ultimately. But whose fault is that really? It all
> comes down to Adobe's BS marketing over the years.
>
> "The easiest, fastest way to publish anything on the web."
>
> Give me a break. Morons misuse the PDF format because that is the way
> Adobe wants it.

Yes. There is nothing we could do about it. Microsoft does that (Word,
Excel, Powerpoint), Adobe does that (PDF and Flash), Sun does that
(Java), Google does that ("to google"), every major corporation does
that.

> > Then 95% of all computer users are idiots. Besides PostScript, PDF
> > is a

> Of course they are. No argument here. And because of these idiots, I
> am forced to used PDF. But Adobe can stick PostScript where the Sun
> doesn't shine. I threw my last PostScript printer in the trash 10
> years ago.

You're probably forced to use PDF, but nobody forces you to use Adobe
products. And if you really have a problem with Adobe's formats, feel
free to convert them to whatever you like. You'll lose some quality,
but who cares? Not supporting PDF is much more important!

> I am being somewhat tongue-in-cheek here, Ertugrul. That said, I don't
> see anything wrong with pointing out the insanities of the
> world. Still, nothing will change, of course, because the assholes in
> marketing won't allow it. [vbg]

Sad, but true. In fact, in everyday life we even feed these insanities.
But that's okay. We're just human.

Regards,
Ertugrul Söylemez.

--
From the fact that this CGI program has been written in Haskell, it
follows naturally that this CGI program is perfectly secure.

Sebastian G

Ertugrul Soeylemez wrote:

> About the second, many of the formats we use are/were proprietary. To
> name just a few: JPEG, MPEG, ZIP.

JPEG and MPEG have never been proprietary. The proprietary times of ZIP are
long gone by.

> Why is it that way? It's because the specifications of those formats are
> open.

Ehm... that's exactly why they're not proprietary.

> Some are patented, but we still use them, because they fit a
> particular purpose well, and there are tools freely available.

In Europe we use them because their patents are invalid here.

> You will agree that PS/PDF documents, if created properly, have excellent
> qualtity. That's why most scientific books and articles are originally
> written in LaTeX and then published as PS and/or PDF.

I will agree that, by design, PDF has the need to maintain some
compatibility to PS. And even that already is a headache.

> Yes. There is nothing we could do about it.

Ehm... we could sue them, since they're partitially responsible for
incidents arising from advertising such misbehaviour.

Ertugrul Soeylemez

Sebastian G <(E-Mail Removed)> (07-04-17 17:42:24):

> > About the second, many of the formats we use are/were proprietary.
> > To name just a few: JPEG, MPEG, ZIP.

> JPEG and MPEG have never been proprietary. The proprietary times of
> ZIP are long gone by.
>
> > Why is it that way? It's because the specifications of those
> > formats are open.

> Ehm... that's exactly why they're not proprietary.

Then we have differing definitions of `proprietary'. It can mean
`secret' as well as `owned by someone'. I've been using it to stand for
the latter.

> > Some are patented, but we still use them, because they fit a
> > particular purpose well, and there are tools freely available.

> In Europe we use them because their patents are invalid here.

Another good point.

> > You will agree that PS/PDF documents, if created properly, have
> > excellent qualtity. That's why most scientific books and articles
> > are originally written in LaTeX and then published as PS and/or PDF.

> I will agree that, by design, PDF has the need to maintain some
> compatibility to PS. And even that already is a headache.

To be honest, I don't like PS much. But however, my documents are as
compatible as LaTeX generates them. I don't care.

> > Yes. There is nothing we could do about it.

> Ehm... we could sue them, since they're partitially responsible for
> incidents arising from advertising such misbehaviour.

The problem is that we won't be successful doing that, unless we're a
large corporation. Even then, it would take years and success would be
questionable. Although I don't like the marketing policies of current
monopolists and other big entities, IMO there is nothing wrong with
advertising (or otherwise making attractive) your product for as many
uses as possible.

Regards,
Ertugrul Söylemez.

--
From the fact that this CGI program has been written in Haskell, it
follows naturally that this CGI program is perfectly secure.