Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > C++ > translating file formats

translating file formats

Puppet_Sock

Are there any good texts or web sites with advice on how to write an
app
(in C++) that translates one format input file to another?

I've got this enormous engineering code that has a gnarly input file
format.
My thought is to write a front end for it to allow humans to create
the
inputs without having to jump through the hoops that the code
requires.

It's not *quite* a compiler, but it's somewhat similar.
Socks

Noah Roberts

Puppet_Sock wrote:
> Are there any good texts or web sites with advice on how to write an
> app
> (in C++) that translates one format input file to another?
>
> I've got this enormous engineering code that has a gnarly input file
> format.
> My thought is to write a front end for it to allow humans to create
> the
> inputs without having to jump through the hoops that the code
> requires.
>
> It's not *quite* a compiler, but it's somewhat similar.
> Socks

It's easy. Just call the MysteryFormatTranslationFunction and you're done.