Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Wireless Networking > Someone please explain to me ...

Someone please explain to me ...

=?Utf-8?B?bXJzLmdyYW50?=

I need help. I have no clue how the wireless LAN works on my computer. Do I
have to buy a router? Do I have to have broadband? Can I keep my dial up?
Someone please help!!! I'm really confused about all of this and cant find
anyone to explain it to me.
--
Thanks ;O)

Lance

The thing to do is start Googling and reading. The consumer wireless
vendors like Netgear, Linksys and DLink have guides and online
configurators that figure out which of their products you need.

I just typed in "basic wireless networking" into the Google search box
and came up with this and 6,629,999 others:

Lance
*****

mrs.grant thought carefully and wrote on 11/23/2004 8:29 PM:
> I need help. I have no clue how the wireless LAN works on my computer. Do I
> have to buy a router? Do I have to have broadband? Can I keep my dial up?
> Someone please help!!! I'm really confused about all of this and cant find
> anyone to explain it to me.

Gary R.

There is almost too much information around, it's a bit overwhelming.

You don't say if it's a laptop or home computer. For a laptop, wireless can
be very handy if you travel. More and more hotels, motels, coffee shops,
libraries etc. are getting free wireless access, so you can connect as you
travel (assuming you need to 8^).

If it's just a home computer that came with a wireless card, you can keep
your dialup if you are happy with it. For the wireless internet access,
you'll need a Cable or DSL connection and a wireless router. That will also
allow other computers in your house to connect to the internet and to your
computer, if you want. They could also share a dialup connection by
connecting to your computer's dialup through their own wireless cards.

While a lot of people like it at home, I prefer wired LAN for my home most
all the time. Most useful is for a laptop and traveling. I'd suggest using
only free access places, some places use pay services like TMobile which is
ridiculously priced, and if no one uses it, maybe they'll go away.

Gary

"mrs.grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need help. I have no clue how the wireless LAN works on my computer. Do I
> have to buy a router? Do I have to have broadband? Can I keep my dial up?
> Someone please help!!! I'm really confused about all of this and cant find
> anyone to explain it to me.
> --
> Thanks ;O)

Carey Holzman

Great explanation here:

http://tinyurl.com/4wmth

Carey

"mrs.grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need help. I have no clue how the wireless LAN works on my computer. Do I
> have to buy a router? Do I have to have broadband? Can I keep my dial up?
> Someone please help!!! I'm really confused about all of this and cant find
> anyone to explain it to me.
> --
> Thanks ;O)

Bill Crocker

Here is an excellent place to get acquainted!

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/

Then click on some of the tutorials on the left side of the site.

Bill Crocker

"mrs.grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need help. I have no clue how the wireless LAN works on my computer. Do I
> have to buy a router? Do I have to have broadband? Can I keep my dial up?
> Someone please help!!! I'm really confused about all of this and cant find
> anyone to explain it to me.
> --
> Thanks ;O)

Jim

If you only have one computer you should be able to connect directly to your
computer with a network card. If you have more then one computer to connect
to the internet you will need to build a network. Go to D-Link, Netgear and
some of the other network product companies web sites; they have
configuration utilities that will tell you what you need to buy and how to
set it up.

"mrs.grant" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need help. I have no clue how the wireless LAN works on my computer. Do I
> have to buy a router? Do I have to have broadband? Can I keep my dial up?
> Someone please help!!! I'm really confused about all of this and cant find
> anyone to explain it to me.
> --
> Thanks ;O)

Jack

Hi

The content of the following links will provide you with a short tutorial
about Wireless, it is short and to the point:

Principles - http://www.anandtech.com/guides/viewfaq.html?i=122

The page above was written by me ages ago. You might ignore the prices, but
the principles are still the same.

Wireless hardware: http://www.ezlan.net/Wireless_Hardware.html

Jack (MVP-Networking).