Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Best software for panoramic stitching and adding borders?

Best software for panoramic stitching and adding borders?

Luttrell

Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

ray

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 00:30:53 -0700, Luttrell wrote:

> Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

I've done panorama using the hugin suite - works quite well. Recently GIMP
has added a built in panorama utility - it seems to work reasonably well
too. I think GIMP should be able to do borders - I've never had the urge
to try.

Bill

On 25 Apr 2007 00:30:53 -0700, Luttrell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

Check out free Autostitch at:

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

Although it says demo and the trial will expire, you can simply
download the latest release and keep on going. I've been using it for
a couple of years.

HTH
Bill

Randy Berbaum

Bill <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
: On 25 Apr 2007 00:30:53 -0700, Luttrell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

: >Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

: Check out free Autostitch at:

: http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~mbrown/autostitch/autostitch.html

: Although it says demo and the trial will expire, you can simply
: download the latest release and keep on going. I've been using it for
: a couple of years.

: HTH
: Bill

A second vote for Autostitch. One advantage I have found is that I can
make several smaller sections that can then be stitched into a larger pano
later. No other stitching software I have tried has been able to stitch
multi image "sub panos". The other disadvantage I have found is that you
have no manual control so when it works it works fantastic, but when it
gets confused (very rare) there is no help for it. But as free software,
It can't be beat. And if you don't like it, you aren't out anything.

Randy

==========
Randy Berbaum
Champaign, IL

Robert A. Cunningham

"Luttrell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

Well, I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but the "Panorama Maker 3"
software that came with my FZ30 did an excellent job of stitching together
10-8 meg photos of the eastern side of the Sierra Mountains. I was quite
impressed by the ease of use, and the professional results.

Robert Cunningham

mark.thomas.7@gmail.com

On Apr 25, 5:30 pm, Luttrell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can anyone add their 2 cents on this subject?

Ptgui (not free) seems to get the most good reports, and then Hugin
(free). I'll be trying them shortly. I'm sure others here can give
further details, or you might want to do the right thing and search
past postings - there are plenty.

A lot of folk recommend Autostitch, but I can't. It crashes
frequently and erratically with my (admittedly quite large and
detailed) images - and when it does succeed, its occasional mismatches
just leave me scratching my head, because the user can't really
control the result (unless I'm missing something and heaven knows I've
experimented, read the readme's, forum posts, etc).. If your needs
are modest, it may be ok and is worth a try at that price (free),
however.

JC Dill

On 26 Apr 2007 02:20:31 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>A lot of folk recommend Autostitch, but I can't. It crashes
>frequently and erratically with my (admittedly quite large and
>detailed) images -

Run autostitch first on small files (do this automagically by
constraining the output size) to make sure it can match them. If I
have a lot of files I want to stitch at a large size, I do them in
batches - stitch 2 or 3 together at a time then stitch those together.
It handles large image panoramas better that way.

Can't beat the price, or the fact that I set it up and come back later
and there's my panorama. Who wants to hand stitch stuff when
autostitch can do it for you?

See:

http://flickr.com/photos/jcdill/3363...7594445724107/

People ask me how I lined up the waves. The answer is "I don't know".
Autostitch just did it for me!

jc

~ Eileen Morgan of The Mare's Nest, PA