Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Backing Up To External Hard Drive

Backing Up To External Hard Drive

Robin

I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The first
time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as there will be about
400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back up the
whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and updated
files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it only updates
new and modified versions).

Rv!

"Robin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The first time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as
>there will be about 400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back up the whole lot every time, or is there a
>way to just transfer new and updated files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it only updates new and modified
>versions).

I suggest you investigate Drive Snapshot and secondly Zip-backup.
Both are very cheap backup solutions that I have used extensively for
various archiving jobs.

Rv!

Dave Martindale

"Robin" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The first
>time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as there will be about
>400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back up the
>whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and updated
>files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it only updates
>new and modified versions).

Get a copy of "SyncToy". It's part of Microsoft's Power Toys and can be
downloaded for free from them. It's not supported, it doesn't have the
fancy interface of something like Word, and it has some warts. But it's
designed for exactly this sort of task, and the price is right.

Dave

George Kerby

Simply the best:

http://www.shirt-pocket.com/

On 4/22/07 1:14 PM, in article http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed),
"Robin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The first
> time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as there will be about
> 400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back up the
> whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and updated
> files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it only updates
> new and modified versions).

Pete D

George, this is possibly the best advice you could ever give to a Windows
user, buy a MAC. Love your work mate.

"George Kerby" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:C251391E.21EE6%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Simply the best:
>
> http://www.shirt-pocket.com/
>

> On 4/22/07 1:14 PM, in article (E-Mail Removed),
> "Robin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The
>> first
>> time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as there will be about
>> 400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back up
>> the
>> whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and updated
>> files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it only
>> updates
>> new and modified versions).

> News==----
> Newsgroups
> =----

Jim

"Rv!" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7%NWh.5552$(E-Mail Removed) k...

> "Robin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The
>>first time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as there will be
>>about 400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back
>>up the whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and
>>updated files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it
>>only updates new and modified versions).

> I suggest you investigate Drive Snapshot and secondly Zip-backup.
> Both are very cheap backup solutions that I have used extensively for
> various archiving jobs.
>
> Rv!

The answer to the OP's question is no. What is needed is an incremental
backup after the initial full backup gets made.\
Among the very many programs that furnish either an incremental backup or a
differential backup or both are:
NTbackup
Norton Ghost
Acronis True Image

Jim

bitwisebob

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:14:30 +0100, "Robin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The question is, will I have to back up the
>whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and updated
>files

http://www.tgrmn.com/free/?from=vvfree

ViceVersa FREE 1.0.3

Compares two folders and synchronize differences
Supports 3 file comparison methods: Size/Timestamp, CRC or both
Supports 5 file synchronization methods
Supports manual copy and delete for manual synchronization
For Windows 98, Me, NT4, 2000, and XP
No spy, no nags: just FREE

---
Bob Anderson*Bitwisebob
Eugene Oregon

ASAAR

On Sun, 22 Apr 2007 19:14:30 +0100, Robin wrote:

> I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The first
> time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as there will be about
> 400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back up the
> whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and updated
> files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it only updates
> new and modified versions).

Although I have a good backup program (Acronis True Image), for
frequent "incremental" backups of small amounts of data, meaning
what fits on a DVD-RAM, I use good ole XCOPY in a DOS window. It's
free, it works reliably, and would also work for backing up to an
external hard drive. The "/D" parameter prevents recopying existing
files unless they're newer than the version on the backup drive.
Some other parameters used are "/S /D /H /Y".

dbd

On Apr 22, 11:14 am, "Robin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The first
> time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as there will be about
> 400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back up the
> whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and updated
> files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it only updates
> new and modified versions).

There are a number of free tools that rename and sort copies of files.
An example would be ImageIngester:

http://basepath.com/ImageIngester/

One common tactic is to put dates into the file names and store the
files in directories named with dates as well. This makes it easy to
recognize what you have backed up and what you haven't. Dates are not
the only choice of labels to add to file and directory names.

Dale B. Dalrymple
http://dbdimages.com

Jerry

Robin wrote:
> I am planning to back up all my photos to an external hard drive. The first
> time I back up, it will obviously be a big one, as there will be about
> 400-500GB of data to transfer. The question is, will I have to back up the
> whole lot every time, or is there a way to just transfer new and updated
> files (similar to when synchronising Outlook Contacts, where it only updates
> new and modified versions).

Try SyncBack at http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html
The free version will do what you want. Can backup or synchronise. I
use it to synch photos between 2 computers. Can download them to either
one if a kid is using the other, then synchronise the files.