Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Quality of Sony digicams vs. Canon

Quality of Sony digicams vs. Canon

snowrider555@hotmail.com

Hello,
What would everyone think is the higher quality of the 2, eg; least
likely to break down and/or require service. I don't use a digicam
very much but when I do for my yearly vacation, I don't want it
crapping out on me overseas in front of the Eiffel tower or the
Acropolis.

TIA for your opinions,
S.

cgiorgio

<(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> What would everyone think is the higher quality of the 2, eg; least
> likely to break down and/or require service. I don't use a digicam
> very much but when I do for my yearly vacation, I don't want it
> crapping out on me overseas in front of the Eiffel tower or the
> Acropolis.
>
> TIA for your opinions,
> S.

Depends on what model you choose and how lucky you are. Neither company
seems to have quick and competent technical support in Europe so if
something happens, you will be screwed anyway. Amateur cameras (including
DSLR's) usually have low priority in repair centers.

Dave Cohen

cgiorgio wrote:
> <(E-Mail Removed)> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hello,
>> What would everyone think is the higher quality of the 2, eg; least
>> likely to break down and/or require service. I don't use a digicam
>> very much but when I do for my yearly vacation, I don't want it
>> crapping out on me overseas in front of the Eiffel tower or the
>> Acropolis.
>>
>> TIA for your opinions,
>> S.

> Depends on what model you choose and how lucky you are. Neither company
> seems to have quick and competent technical support in Europe so if
> something happens, you will be screwed anyway. Amateur cameras (including
> DSLR's) usually have low priority in repair centers.

People who own Sony will say Sony. Those who own Canon will say Canon,
so take your choice.
There are publications that keep track of problem reports for various
products, you would have to search for that.
Dave Cohen

Charles Schuler

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> What would everyone think is the higher quality of the 2, eg; least
> likely to break down and/or require service. I don't use a digicam
> very much but when I do for my yearly vacation, I don't want it
> crapping out on me overseas in front of the Eiffel tower or the
> Acropolis.

Take one of each.

You are asking about the reliability of consumer electronics. Long-term
reliability has never been a prime issue and never will be. Those little
puddles of technology: silicon, glass, plastic are spewed out to make money
for the manufacturers. The manufacturers profit when they fail, after the
warranty runs out. There is a lot of evidence that they are designed to
fail, by the way.

Military and Medical specifications aside, consumer stuff is designed to
work for at least 1 year.

Rob-L

I can't speak for Sony because I never owned a Sony digital camera, but
all my other Sony products seem very reliable.

I have a Canon S410 that I've used regularly for 3 years and it has never
given me one bit of trouble. I have a Kodak that is 5 years old that is
still operating great.

Just take be careful and take care of your camera and you should be fine.

Rob-L

----*

mogator88

On Apr 13, 11:07 am, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello,
> What would everyone think is the higher quality of the 2, eg; least
> likely to break down and/or require service. I don't use a digicam
> very much but when I do for my yearly vacation, I don't want it
> crapping out on me overseas in front of the Eiffel tower or the
> Acropolis.
>
> TIA for your opinions,
> S.

I think any of the major brands will be fine. I've had or seen issues
with both Sony and Canon, but that's just random (bad) luck. Buying a
certain brand guarantees nothing. Don't buy it at the last minute,
use it a little and get some prints made so you'll know if there are
any immediate problems. Think of the batteries. AA's are easy to get
and the new lithiums last a really long time. Rechargeables might be
a hassle and you'll definitely need a voltage adapter.

Enjoy your trip!

SteveB

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
> What would everyone think is the higher quality of the 2, eg; least
> likely to break down and/or require service. I don't use a digicam
> very much but when I do for my yearly vacation, I don't want it
> crapping out on me overseas in front of the Eiffel tower or the
> Acropolis.
>
> TIA for your opinions,
> S.

A friend used to service mainly Sony digicams but other makes as well plus
TVs etc, I asked him recently what used to go wrong with digital cameras
mainly and the answer was 'the owner'. Cameras dropped, contaminated with
sand, pepsi; these account for the vast majority of failures. Overall, all
types of domestic electronics considered, he rated Samsung the best built
low end stuff but that may have been because they were the easiest and most
logical to work on, that's the way engineers think.

Bill Funk

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 16:07:06 GMT, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) wrote:

>Hello,
>What would everyone think is the higher quality of the 2, eg; least
>likely to break down and/or require service. I don't use a digicam
>very much but when I do for my yearly vacation, I don't want it
>crapping out on me overseas in front of the Eiffel tower or the
>Acropolis.
>
>TIA for your opinions,
>S.

That can't be answered; while there may be a statistical difference
in the general reliability between the two brands (which is what you
are asking about), this can't be taken down to actual samples, meaning
*one* example or another.
The camera you buy may be much more or less reliable than the group
consisting of all examples of that model. IOW, the one you buy may
crap out at the worst possible moment, or it may work very well for
over ten years; there's no way to tell.
Sorry.

The White House admitted on Wednesday that
e-mails about official business in Karl Rove's
office were erased. The deleted e-mails were
sent on Republican Party accounts instead of
White House accounts to avoid a law that
requires preservation of government records.
It doesn't clog up the landfills like Hillary's
shredder did for eight years.