Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Anatomy Of An eBay Bidding War

Anatomy Of An eBay Bidding War

John Turco

Hello, all:

Here's an interesting eBay <http://www.ebay.com> auction, completed on
4-8-07:

Kodak Easyshare CX6200 - Item number: 320099305950

Bid History
http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=320099305950

The item's description:

"Up for auction is a kodak easyshare cx6200 digital camera. The camera
comes with the following: 128mb card, case, tripod, instructions, usb
cord, and of course the camera. The camera is in excellent working
order. This is 2.0 mega pixels and a 37mm lens. There is a tiny crack
in the camera that doen't affect it operations at all. I tested the
camera with two double A batteries and it works fine lens and all. For
use on computer you will need to buy the software."

Bidder info:

Bidder 5
Feedback: 1 to 9 100% Positive
Registered on eBay: Between 3 and 4 years

Bidder 4
Feedback: Zero 0% Positive
Registered on eBay: 1 week or less

The seller's starting bid was $9.99, and on April 8 (the last day), I
placed the first (and my sole) one, $13. Then, as expected, there was
a flurry of activity, with eight more bids made.

The winner (Bidder 5) edged out Bidder 4, $202.50 to $200.00. Alas, the
CX6200's "list price" was only $130 USD, when Kodak introduced it, in
2003! (It's out of production, now.)

Currently, in fact, Broadway Photo <http://www.bwayphoto.com> is selling
the CX6200's replacement (C300, 3.3 megapixel), for $47, refurbished.

As you can see, a few paragraphs above, Bidder 4 is a newcomer to eBay.
His only bid was $200, after Bidder 2 posted $17.01. Within a half hour,
Bidder 5 entered four more bids, finally nipping Bidder 4, near the end.

Why he allowed an eBay rookie, of all people, to goad him into jacking
up the cost to $202.50, is quite inexplicable. Both individuals must be
absolutely clueless, about digicams!

Sad, truly sad.

Incidentally, eBay has recently altered its "bid history" policy:

"To help keep the eBay community safe, enhance bidder privacy, and
protect our members from fraudulent emails (such as fake second chance
offers), eBay has changed how bid history information is displayed. If
you place a bid on a higher-priced item, only you and the seller of the
item can view your User ID in the bid history. Other members can no
longer view User IDs and will see anonymous names, such as Bidder 1."

It's a lucky thing, too, for Bidders 4 & 5, as thus, they were spared
public humiliation. <g>

Cordially,
John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>

PS: I obtained a used CX6200 ($20, total), via eBay, in August. I really
wanted the proprietary USB cable that was included, as Kodak is asking
around $20, for it, alone.

My CX6200 works okay, but, its LCD panel is dead. That's why I was
hoping to win this auction, although, I was almost certain somebody
would "snipe" me.

Daniel Silevitch

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 03:32:47 -0500, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello, all:
>
> Here's an interesting eBay <http://www.ebay.com> auction, completed on
> 4-8-07:
>
> Kodak Easyshare CX6200 - Item number: 320099305950
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320099305950
>
> Bid History
> http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=320099305950
>
> Bidder info:
>
> Bidder 5
> Feedback: 1 to 9 100% Positive
> Registered on eBay: Between 3 and 4 years
>
> Bidder 4
> Feedback: Zero 0% Positive
> Registered on eBay: 1 week or less
>
> The seller's starting bid was $9.99, and on April 8 (the last day), I
> placed the first (and my sole) one, $13. Then, as expected, there was
> a flurry of activity, with eight more bids made.
>
> The winner (Bidder 5) edged out Bidder 4, $202.50 to $200.00. Alas, the
> CX6200's "list price" was only $130 USD, when Kodak introduced it, in
> 2003! (It's out of production, now.)
>
> Currently, in fact, Broadway Photo <http://www.bwayphoto.com> is selling
> the CX6200's replacement (C300, 3.3 megapixel), for $47, refurbished.
>
> As you can see, a few paragraphs above, Bidder 4 is a newcomer to eBay.
> His only bid was $200, after Bidder 2 posted $17.01. Within a half hour,
> Bidder 5 entered four more bids, finally nipping Bidder 4, near the end.
>
> Why he allowed an eBay rookie, of all people, to goad him into jacking
> up the cost to $202.50, is quite inexplicable. Both individuals must be
> absolutely clueless, about digicams!

Nasty thought: Could Bidder 4 be a sock-puppet of the seller, jacking
up the price far above what was warranted?

-dms

Toni Nikkanen

Daniel Silevitch <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:

> Nasty thought: Could Bidder 4 be a sock-puppet of the seller, jacking
> up the price far above what was warranted?

Heck, if that works, I have a new business plan!

JohnR66

One thing with low feeedback buyers. He'll be lucky to get payment.
John

"John Turco" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> protect our members from fraudulent emails (such as fake second chance
> offers), eBay has changed how bid history information is displayed. If
> you place a bid on a higher-priced item, only you and the seller of the
> item can view your User ID in the bid history. Other members can no
> longer view User IDs and will see anonymous names, such as Bidder 1."
>
> It's a lucky thing, too, for Bidders 4 & 5, as thus, they were spared
> public humiliation. <g>
>

> Cordially,
> John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)>
>

> PS: I obtained a used CX6200 ($20, total), via eBay, in August. I really
> wanted the proprietary USB cable that was included, as Kodak is asking
> around $20, for it, alone.
>
> My CX6200 works okay, but, its LCD panel is dead. That's why I was
> hoping to win this auction, although, I was almost certain somebody

Scott Schuckert

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Daniel Silevitch
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Nasty thought: Could Bidder 4 be a sock-puppet of the seller, jacking
> up the price far above what was warranted?

Frankly, that would be my first assumption. A friend of mine with too
much time on her hands, likes to poke around bid histories on all the
people interested in an item she wants. She says organized rings of
shill bidders are much more common than people think.

As long as they don't bid on too many items from one seller, they're
hard to catch (hence the group).

ECM

On Apr 13, 2:32 am, John Turco <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello, all:
>
> Here's an interesting eBay <http://www.ebay.com> auction, completed on
> 4-8-07:
>
> Kodak Easyshare CX6200 - Item number: 320099305950
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=320099305950
>
> Bid History
> http://offer.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=320099305950
>
> The item's description:
>
> "Up for auction is a kodak easyshare cx6200 digital camera. The camera
> comes with the following: 128mb card, case, tripod, instructions, usb
> cord, and of course the camera. The camera is in excellent working
> order. This is 2.0 mega pixels and a 37mm lens. There is a tiny crack
> in the camera that doen't affect it operations at all. I tested the
> camera with two double A batteries and it works fine lens and all. For
> use on computer you will need to buy the software."
>
> Bidder info:
>
> Bidder 5
> Feedback: 1 to 9 100% Positive
> Registered on eBay: Between 3 and 4 years
>
> Bidder 4
> Feedback: Zero 0% Positive
> Registered on eBay: 1 week or less
>
> The seller's starting bid was $9.99, and on April 8 (the last day), I
> placed the first (and my sole) one, $13. Then, as expected, there was
> a flurry of activity, with eight more bids made.
>
> The winner (Bidder 5) edged out Bidder 4, $202.50 to $200.00. Alas, the
> CX6200's "list price" was only $130 USD, when Kodak introduced it, in
> 2003! (It's out of production, now.)
>
> Currently, in fact, Broadway Photo <http://www.bwayphoto.com> is selling
> the CX6200's replacement (C300, 3.3 megapixel), for $47, refurbished.
>
> As you can see, a few paragraphs above, Bidder 4 is a newcomer to eBay.
> His only bid was $200, after Bidder 2 posted $17.01. Within a half hour,
> Bidder 5 entered four more bids, finally nipping Bidder 4, near the end.
>
> Why he allowed an eBay rookie, of all people, to goad him into jacking
> up the cost to $202.50, is quite inexplicable. Both individuals must be
> absolutely clueless, about digicams!
>
> Sad, truly sad.

I wonder what was going on - if you follow the bids that #5 made, it
might be that he was trying to put in $22.50 and accidentally slipped
an extra zero in. The $200 bid by #4 was before #5 bid $20.50, $22.00,
and then $202.50 - seems like a very odd bid escalation.

timeOday

Toni Nikkanen wrote:
> Daniel Silevitch <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> Nasty thought: Could Bidder 4 be a sock-puppet of the seller, jacking
>> up the price far above what was warranted?

> Heck, if that works, I have a new business plan!

Who knows what goes on with auctions? Maybe he has an enemy who places
big phony bids to ruin his auctions, and then he had a buddy outbid the
enemy so he wouldn't win and be able to leave negative feedback. Who knows?

Floyd Davidson

"ECM" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I wonder what was going on - if you follow the bids that #5 made, it
>might be that he was trying to put in $22.50 and accidentally slipped
>an extra zero in. The $200 bid by #4 was before #5 bid $20.50, $22.00,
>and then $202.50 - seems like a very odd bid escalation.

You are probably correct. The increment from $200 to $202.50 is
automatic, made by eBay and is not something the bidder did
manually. Any bid higher than $202.50 would have resulted in
that figure. Hence the bidder might have seen the current bid
as something less than $20.00 (even though #4 had a maximum bid
of $200), so he bid $20.50, and was immediately outbid (at
$21.00). Then he bid $22.50, and again is immediately outbid
(at $22.50). So then he accidentally types in $230.00, trying
to bid $23.00... and bingo his bid is accepted as $202.50, which
is the auto increment over #4's maximum bid of $200. He may not
have noticed, or he may not have been able to figure out how to
retract it.

It is also quite possible that the bid of #4 was exactly the
same type of accident! He might well have intended $20.00, not
$200.00. Stranger things have happened.

Whatever, the concept that there are "shill groups" running
around randomly starting bidding wars is a bit ridiculous. What
happens if you bid up an item and nobody suckers up with a
higher bid? The shill then has to buy the item. That pretty
much eliminates the concept of "shill groups" at random.

What does happen is a seller with one or more shill logins that
bid up that seller's items. If the shill bid wins, fine, the
seller just "completes" the transaction on paper, pays eBay
their fee, and reposts the item for auction again. The seller
loses the eBay fee, but if it doubles the take on just a few
items there is a significant profit margin.

The indicators or course are a seller who has multiple items
with either "new" users or the same repeat users making high
bids on a seller's items, which could of course be quote normal.
If the seller has a way of accessing eBay from many locations,
the shills can even be spread far and wide. It would be
somewhat difficult to catch, and requires analyzing multiple
listings from the seller over time. I'd guess that happens far
more often that eBay is willing to admit in public.

Ed Ruf (REPLY to E-MAIL IN SIG!)

I've been looking for a Nikon TC-14E/II. An auction for a used one just
closed yesterday at a price greater than you can purchase a new import
model with a 1 year store warranty from Adorama. Yes, it can be nuts.
--
Ed Ruf ((E-Mail Removed))

F.R. Spicer

Ya gotta know when to hold em, know when to fold em. I would check that
item in a few days to see if it was relisted. I was bidding on a Canon
and in the last 5 mins somebody ran it up to way over retail. The camera
was relisted a few days later, it was paid for by a very realistic
looking but fake paypal payment. The seller somehow twigged and
reported it......