Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Extreme III vs. Extreme IV CF cards

Reply
Thread Tools

Extreme III vs. Extreme IV CF cards

 
 
jj@unspameljefe.net
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2007
Anybody done a comparison between Extreme III CF cards and the new
Extreme IV cards in a Canon 5D?

JJ
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Anybody done a comparison between Extreme III CF cards and the new
> Extreme IV cards in a Canon 5D?


<http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198>
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alfred Molon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2007
In article <120420072104158122%(E-Mail Removed)>,
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)lid says...

> > Anybody done a comparison between Extreme III CF cards and the new
> > Extreme IV cards in a Canon 5D?

>
> <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198>


Look like the 5D is the limiting factor - not fast enough to benefit
from the faster cards. And 6.5MB/s is actually quite slow, given that
there are DSLRs which have write speeds of 10MB/s.
--

Alfred Molon
------------------------------
Olympus 50X0, 7070, 8080, E300, E330, E400 and E500 forum at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
http://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
 
Reply With Quote
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alfred
Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In article <120420072104158122%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
>
> > > Anybody done a comparison between Extreme III CF cards and the new
> > > Extreme IV cards in a Canon 5D?

> >
> > <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198>

>
> Look like the 5D is the limiting factor - not fast enough to benefit
> from the faster cards. And 6.5MB/s is actually quite slow, given that
> there are DSLRs which have write speeds of 10MB/s.


don't forget the transfer times to a computer - the sandisk iv is
significantly faster than anything else.

<http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/no_nav.asp?cid=6007-8471>
 
Reply With Quote
 
Skip
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2007
"Alfred Molon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <120420072104158122%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed)lid says...
>
>> > Anybody done a comparison between Extreme III CF cards and the new
>> > Extreme IV cards in a Canon 5D?

>>
>> <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198>

>
> Look like the 5D is the limiting factor - not fast enough to benefit
> from the faster cards. And 6.5MB/s is actually quite slow, given that
> there are DSLRs which have write speeds of 10MB/s.
> --
>


Actually, Alf, it isn't just the 5D. Canons in general aren't set up to
take advantage of high speed cards. The Nikons, for example, pull about 2
mb/sec more out of the same cards.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
www.pbase.com/skipm


 
Reply With Quote
 
tomm42
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2007
On Apr 13, 8:12 am, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed)>, Alfred
>
> Molon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > In article <120420072104158122%(E-Mail Removed)>,
> > (E-Mail Removed) says...

>
> > > > Anybody done a comparison between Extreme III CF cards and the new
> > > > Extreme IV cards in a Canon 5D?

>
> > > <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007-8198>

>
> > Look like the 5D is the limiting factor - not fast enough to benefit
> > from the faster cards. And 6.5MB/s is actually quite slow, given that
> > there are DSLRs which have write speeds of 10MB/s.

>
> don't forget the transfer times to a computer - the sandisk iv is
> significantly faster than anything else.
>
> <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/no_nav.asp?cid=6007-8471>


Not a huge difference here on a Lexar Pro card reader the Extreme IV
was 16.2 mmb/sec the Extreme III 16.1 mb/sec. This vs 11.5 for a
SanDisk "standard" 10.9 for a SanDisk Extreme (no #) and 16.3 for a
Ridata 150 (all 2gb cards).

Tom

 
Reply With Quote
 
nospam
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2007
In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
tomm42 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> > don't forget the transfer times to a computer - the sandisk iv is
> > significantly faster than anything else.
> >
> > <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/no_nav.asp?cid=6007-8471>

>
> Not a huge difference here on a Lexar Pro card reader the Extreme IV
> was 16.2 mmb/sec the Extreme III 16.1 mb/sec. This vs 11.5 for a
> SanDisk "standard" 10.9 for a SanDisk Extreme (no #) and 16.3 for a
> Ridata 150 (all 2gb cards).


on a firewire 800 reader, it reaches 38 mb/sec (lower right corner of
the chart). that's quite a bit faster.
 
Reply With Quote
 
tomm42
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2007
On Apr 13, 9:54 am, nospam <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> In article <(E-Mail Removed) .com>,
>
> tomm42 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > > don't forget the transfer times to a computer - the sandisk iv is
> > > significantly faster than anything else.

>
> > > <http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/no_nav.asp?cid=6007-8471>

>
> > Not a huge difference here on a Lexar Pro card reader the Extreme IV
> > was 16.2 mmb/sec the Extreme III 16.1 mb/sec. This vs 11.5 for a
> > SanDisk "standard" 10.9 for a SanDisk Extreme (no #) and 16.3 for a
> > Ridata 150 (all 2gb cards).

>
> on a firewire 800 reader, it reaches 38 mb/sec (lower right corner of
> the chart). that's quite a bit faster.


Yeah an little over twice the speed, with a Lacie reader a 2gb Extreme
III takes about 2min to empty, would 1 min be better, sure but I won't
loose sleep over it. Just pulled a mid-high range reader off the list.

Tom

 
Reply With Quote
 
Alfred Molon
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-13-2007
In article <m3LTh.157481$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
says...

> Actually, Alf, it isn't just the 5D. Canons in general aren't set up to
> take advantage of high speed cards. The Nikons, for example, pull about 2
> mb/sec more out of the same cards.


Oly DSLRs write at 10MB/s with fast cards.
--

Alfred Molon
------------------------------
Olympus 50X0, 7070, 8080, E300, E330, E400 and E500 forum at
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
http://myolympus.org/ photo sharing site
 
Reply With Quote
 
Skip
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-14-2007
"Alfred Molon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> In article <m3LTh.157481$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
> says...
>
>> Actually, Alf, it isn't just the 5D. Canons in general aren't set up to
>> take advantage of high speed cards. The Nikons, for example, pull about
>> 2
>> mb/sec more out of the same cards.

>
> Oly DSLRs write at 10MB/s with fast cards.


Thank you Alf. That doesn't change what I said, now, does it?
You're becoming more of an Oly fanboy than any Canon aficionado you've ever
castigated.

--
Skip Middleton
www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
www.pbase.com/skipm


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ASUS Rampage III Extreme Intel X58 Motherboard Ian Front Page News 0 09-08-2010 07:24 PM
Anyone have a Sandisk Extreme III card? void.no.spam.com@gmail.com Digital Photography 28 04-23-2009 07:17 AM
Write speed problem with Extreme III on Coolpix5700 croeltgen Digital Photography 15 05-11-2005 01:50 PM
Nikon Coolscan III vs Minolta Dimage Scan Dual III Patrick B Cox Digital Photography 17 03-02-2004 07:15 PM



Advertisments