Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Digital Photography > Truprint, Asda, or buy a Selphy?

Truprint, Asda, or buy a Selphy?

Rudy Lacchin

Almost everyone in my family owns some sort of digital camera but unlike the
old celluloid days, the images seem to stay on a hard disk instead of making
it onto those quaint 6" x 4" bits of paper which could be handed round for
grannies and ageing aunts to coo over.

Two questions:-

1) At 10p a print or less, online photo printing services like Truprint or
Asda look quite attractive as I can upload the images and get the results
back by post. Does anyone have any experiences to share about these types
of services, particularly as regards quality?

2) I'm half-thinking of buying a dye-sublimation photo printer to produce
snapshots for myself, my kids and my mum. Having spent most of the day
reading reviews (instead of getting on with my work), I'm tending towards
the Canon Selphy ES1. Again, does anyone have any experiences to share
about this or any other dye-sublimation printer?

Thanks in advance,
R.

Mike Russell

"Rudy Lacchin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WdcTh.2793$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> Almost everyone in my family owns some sort of digital camera but unlike
> the old celluloid days, the images seem to stay on a hard disk instead of
> making it onto those quaint 6" x 4" bits of paper which could be handed
> round for grannies and ageing aunts to coo over.
>
> Two questions:-
>
> 1) At 10p a print or less, online photo printing services like Truprint
> or Asda look quite attractive as I can upload the images and get the
> results back by post. Does anyone have any experiences to share about
> these types of services, particularly as regards quality?

I use several of these services, including the local drug store, CostCo,
Ofoto, and snapfish. They are all uniformly high quality, though the drug
store and CostCo will do 1 hour prints, they have an irritating tendency to
simply lose the order.

> 2) I'm half-thinking of buying a dye-sublimation photo printer to produce
> snapshots for myself, my kids and my mum. Having spent most of the day
> reading reviews (instead of getting on with my work), I'm tending towards
> the Canon Selphy ES1. Again, does anyone have any experiences to share
> about this or any other dye-sublimation printer?

I have a Selphy dye-sub CP600 and I love it. It's Polaroid deja vu. The
cost of materials is about 20 cents a print, the quality is good, and it's
completely portable. One reason I chose dye-sub over inkjet is I wanted
something guaranteed not to leak (!) in the airplane, but keep in mind the
estimated refrigerator display life of these prints is about 7 years, and
Selphy and other inkjet prints may last substantially longer.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

gpaleo

Ο "Mike Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)-MOVE> έγραψε στο μήνυμα
news:SrcTh.2733$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> "Rudy Lacchin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:WdcTh.2793$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>

> I have a Selphy dye-sub CP600 and I love it. It's Polaroid deja vu. The
> cost of materials is about 20 cents a print, the quality is good, and it's
> completely portable. One reason I chose dye-sub over inkjet is I wanted
> something guaranteed not to leak (!) in the airplane, but keep in mind the
> estimated refrigerator display life of these prints is about 7 years, and
> Selphy and other inkjet prints may last substantially longer.
> --
> Mike Russell
> www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Plus you can take pix of the grass growing while it prints 10 4x6"

Mike Russell

"gpaleo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>Ο "Mike Russell" <(E-Mail Removed)-MOVE> έγραψε στο μήνυμα
>news:SrcTh.2733$(E-Mail Removed) t...
>>
>> "Rudy Lacchin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:WdcTh.2793$(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>

>> I have a Selphy dye-sub CP600 and I love it. It's Polaroid deja vu. The
>> cost of materials is about 20 cents a print, the quality is good, and
>> it's completely portable. One reason I chose dye-sub over inkjet is I
>> wanted something guaranteed not to leak (!) in the airplane, but keep in
>> mind the estimated refrigerator display life of these prints is about 7
>> years, and Selphy and other inkjet prints may last substantially longer.
>> --
>> Mike Russell
>> www.curvemeister.com/forum/

> Plus you can take pix of the grass growing while it prints 10 4x6"

Which would be under 10 minutes. The printer is a hit at parties. The print
gets fed through once for each color, and you see the image build up one
color at a time. If I were doing a large number of prints, it's easy to
fire it up and go have dinner. One fun thing to do with kids- when you're
done, you can open up the dye-sub card and unroll about 40 feet of
multi-colored negatives.
--
Mike Russell
www.curvemeister.com/forum/

Zen Diver

Rudy Lacchin wrote:
> Almost everyone in my family owns some sort of digital camera but unlike the
> old celluloid days, the images seem to stay on a hard disk instead of making
> it onto those quaint 6" x 4" bits of paper which could be handed round for
> grannies and ageing aunts to coo over.
>
> Two questions:-
>
> 1) At 10p a print or less, online photo printing services like Truprint or
> Asda look quite attractive as I can upload the images and get the results
> back by post. Does anyone have any experiences to share about these types
> of services, particularly as regards quality?

[Snip}
> Thanks in advance,
> R.

I notice that you are based in the UK and the answers you've had so far
have been US based.

I'd like to chip in that I've had good results from Photobox.co.uk
Really quick turnaround and the quality of the prints has been
excellent. I even used them to print last years 120 or so Christmas cards.

If you want I can send you a referral and you will get 30 prints free,
all you need to do is pay postage which is quite reasonable.

jon

Tony Polson

"Rudy Lacchin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Almost everyone in my family owns some sort of digital camera but unlike the
>old celluloid days, the images seem to stay on a hard disk instead of making
>it onto those quaint 6" x 4" bits of paper which could be handed round for
>grannies and ageing aunts to coo over.
>
>Two questions:-
>
>1) At 10p a print or less, online photo printing services like Truprint or
>Asda look quite attractive as I can upload the images and get the results
>back by post. Does anyone have any experiences to share about these types
>of services, particularly as regards quality?

Go for Photobox. By far the best of the online services.

http://www.photobox.co.uk

>2) I'm half-thinking of buying a dye-sublimation photo printer to produce
>snapshots for myself, my kids and my mum. Having spent most of the day
>reading reviews (instead of getting on with my work), I'm tending towards
>the Canon Selphy ES1. Again, does anyone have any experiences to share
>about this or any other dye-sublimation printer?

No need for a dye-sub when there are some superb inkjets, notably the
Epson PictureMate. The best models in the PictureMate range are the
original PictureMate and the PictureMate 500. The prints are stunning
and they are of near-archival quality. These printers have been
discontinued but can still be purchased new (old stock). Try eBay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/

Tesco is a good source for the ink/paper packs.

Alan Clifford

On Wed, 11 Apr 2007, Rudy Lacchin wrote:

RL> 2) I'm half-thinking of buying a dye-sublimation photo printer to produce
RL> snapshots for myself, my kids and my mum. Having spent most of the day
RL> reading reviews (instead of getting on with my work), I'm tending towards
RL> the Canon Selphy ES1. Again, does anyone have any experiences to share
RL> about this or any other dye-sublimation printer?

My wife has a little Canon dye-sub. The quality of the prints is really
excellent.

--
Alan

( If replying by mail, please note that all "sardines" are canned.
However, unless this a very old message, a "tuna" will swim right
through. )

Alan

"Rudy Lacchin" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:WdcTh.2793$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> Almost everyone in my family owns some sort of digital camera but unlike
> the old celluloid days, the images seem to stay on a hard disk instead of
> making it onto those quaint 6" x 4" bits of paper which could be handed
> round for grannies and ageing aunts to coo over.
>
> Two questions:-
>
> 1) At 10p a print or less, online photo printing services like Truprint
> or Asda look quite attractive as I can upload the images and get the
> results back by post. Does anyone have any experiences to share about
> these types of services, particularly as regards quality?
>
> 2) I'm half-thinking of buying a dye-sublimation photo printer to produce
> snapshots for myself, my kids and my mum. Having spent most of the day
> reading reviews (instead of getting on with my work), I'm tending towards
> the Canon Selphy ES1. Again, does anyone have any experiences to share
> about this or any other dye-sublimation printer?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> R.

Like others I've used Photobox.co.uk for several years and have always
received great service and excellent quality.

I have a Canon 6x4" dye-sub which produces good results and is great when I
need prints now, however if I'm not in a rush I'll use photobox instead as
they're cheaper.

Alan.

Jeff Taylor

Alan wrote:

> Like others I've used Photobox.co.uk for several years and have always
> received great service and excellent quality.

Another vote for Photobox!

They usually come out first in magazine comparisons of online printing
services.

My last order was for 150 holiday photos.
Got an email to say that they'd been uploaded.
40 mins later got another email to say that they were in the post!
Arrived next day, superb quality as usual.

Jeff

Flying Rat

says...
> No need for a dye-sub when there are some superb inkjets, notably the
> Epson PictureMate. The best models in the PictureMate range are the
> original PictureMate and the PictureMate 500. The prints are stunning
> and they are of near-archival quality. These printers have been
> discontinued but can still be purchased new (old stock). Try eBay.
>
> http://www.ebay.co.uk/
>
> Tesco is a good source for the ink/paper packs.

My mum (honest!) has one of the HP Photosmart ones, which she is
extremely satisfied with. Epsons, however, are the definite cream of the
crop for picture quality, even in their general-usage inkjets. I have an
all-in-one which is a few years old now but produces excellent results.

The old dear uses hers with a snapper which has an SD card, she can
print her stuff off without needing a PC so she's happy. I just fixed
her up with a spare 1 gig SD card so she can snap away.

The place I buy my computer bits from has the Epson Picturemate in
remainder stock. I asked about it recently for someone else and they
also are at a loss why Epson isn't contiuing the like as they have
shifted them by the palette load. They do the HP Photosmart ones
starting at £45 or so.

http://www.spotonuk.com/Shop~MainCat...~SubCat~Photo+
Inkjet.htm

FR