Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > UK VOIP > Skype/tracing users

Skype/tracing users

Abo

Hypothetical question: If a Skype user (no Skypein, so no caller ID) is
using Skypeout to make nuisance phone calls to, say, a BT landline, can
that user be traced by e.g. the police?

Not that I'm considering becoming a heavy breather or anything; just
wondering...

--
Abo
BATracer: Browser Based Racing Simulation:

Colin Wilson

> Hypothetical question: If a Skype user (no Skypein, so no caller ID) is
> using Skypeout to make nuisance phone calls to, say, a BT landline, can
> that user be traced by e.g. the police?
> Not that I'm considering becoming a heavy breather or anything; just
> wondering...

Probably, but it might take an approach by the police to skype to
release the logs...

I can't remember the last time I checked the skype T&Cs, but they
probably allow for the release of such into without a court order,
BICBW

andy

On Apr 11, 5:16 pm, Abo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hypothetical question: If a Skype user (no Skypein, so no caller ID) is
> using Skypeout to make nuisance phone calls to, say, a BT landline, can
> that user be traced by e.g. the police?
>
> Not that I'm considering becoming a heavy breather or anything; just
> wondering...

Even if there is a SkypeIn number, it is not sent as caller ID

as for investigation, I don't know, but as it takes between a week and
a month or never to get a reply from Skype customer services, I hope
the Police have a better method of approach, but also bear in mind
that there could be more than one country involved

Abo

andy wrote:
> On Apr 11, 5:16 pm, Abo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> Hypothetical question: If a Skype user (no Skypein, so no caller ID) is
>> using Skypeout to make nuisance phone calls to, say, a BT landline, can
>> that user be traced by e.g. the police?
>>
>> Not that I'm considering becoming a heavy breather or anything; just
>> wondering...
>>

> Even if there is a SkypeIn number, it is not sent as caller ID

Didn't know that; I've never used Skypeout

> that there could be more than one country involved

Yeah, that's what started me thinking about it. I bet the police would
get frustrated and give up, unless there was some *serious* crime
involved. Maybe in that case they'd work with their foreign
counterparts. There's nothing like a free trip abroad

--
Abo
BATracer: Browser Based Racing Simulation:
http://batracer.com/-1FrontPage.htm?6q0

Dennis Ferguson

On 2007-04-12, Abo <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> andy wrote:
>> that there could be more than one country involved

> Yeah, that's what started me thinking about it. I bet the police would
> get frustrated and give up, unless there was some *serious* crime
> involved. Maybe in that case they'd work with their foreign
> counterparts. There's nothing like a free trip abroad

Actually I wouldn't count on this being all that difficult for the
police. The police wouldn't necessarily know the call came from a Skype
user, but they'd certainly know which carrier delivered the call to the
UK phone network (for Skype I think this is Cable & Wireless), and would
ask them. I doubt Cable & Wireless is limited to Skype's support channel,
and would probably have a way to obtain the information Skype knows about
the originator of the call for law enforcement purposes. I don't know
about the UK, but in other countries it wouldn't be legal for a
carrier to deliver calls for Skype if a call's origin couldn't be
located by the carrier in a reasonable hurry.

Dennis Ferguson

Joe Harrison

Already happened

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/08...ve_ceo_cuffed/