Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NNTP access - evenings

NNTP access - evenings

Meat Plow

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:53:39 +0100, Gordon wrote:

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
>>
>> Sounds like an access restriction. See if your NTP has an alternate port.
>>

> Not quite sure what you mean by that - the IT dept of the company tell me
> there are NO restrictions set up, and looking at the router set up I can't
> see any rules at all.

If you can ping your news provider then your access to it on port 119 is
being blocked for whatever reason. Maybe try the IP address of the server
instead of the name. Don't know what else I can tell you, the router may
have developed a bug like mine. If any of my computers uses 192.168.1.100,
there is no DNS resolution. I can type an IP into a browser and connect to
the host all day long, just no name resolution. However if I use
192.168.1.99 or less or 192.168.1.101 or greater, DNS works fine. There
are no access restriction set up for that or any IP addresses so it's a
bug. Hope you figure it out.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794

Gordon

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:53:39 +0100, Gordon wrote:
>
>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
>>>
>>> Sounds like an access restriction. See if your NTP has an alternate
>>> port.
>>>

>> Not quite sure what you mean by that - the IT dept of the company tell me
>> there are NO restrictions set up, and looking at the router set up I
>> can't
>> see any rules at all.

> If you can ping your news provider then your access to it on port 119 is
> being blocked for whatever reason. Maybe try the IP address of the server
> instead of the name. Don't know what else I can tell you, the router may
> have developed a bug like mine. If any of my computers uses 192.168.1.100,
> there is no DNS resolution. I can type an IP into a browser and connect to
> the host all day long, just no name resolution. However if I use
> 192.168.1.99 or less or 192.168.1.101 or greater, DNS works fine. There
> are no access restriction set up for that or any IP addresses so it's a
> bug. Hope you figure it out.

Thanks for the input. The odd thing is, that tonight (now 18.10 - I have
NNTP access!)

Mike Easter

Gordon wrote:

> The odd thing is, that tonight (now 18.10 - I
> have NNTP access!)

You fixed it

--
Mike Easter

Meat Plow

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:09:53 +0100, Gordon wrote:

> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 17:53:39 +0100, Gordon wrote:
>>
>>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...

>>> Not quite sure what you mean by that - the IT dept of the company tell me
>>> there are NO restrictions set up, and looking at the router set up I
>>> can't
>>> see any rules at all.

>> If you can ping your news provider then your access to it on port 119 is
>> being blocked for whatever reason. Maybe try the IP address of the server
>> instead of the name. Don't know what else I can tell you, the router may
>> have developed a bug like mine. If any of my computers uses 192.168.1.100,
>> there is no DNS resolution. I can type an IP into a browser and connect to
>> the host all day long, just no name resolution. However if I use
>> 192.168.1.99 or less or 192.168.1.101 or greater, DNS works fine. There
>> are no access restriction set up for that or any IP addresses so it's a
>> bug. Hope you figure it out.
>>

> Thanks for the input. The odd thing is, that tonight (now 18.10 - I have
> NNTP access!)

Murphy's law invoked
#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
COOSN-266-06-25794

Gordon

"Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 18:09:53 +0100, Gordon wrote:
>
>> "Meat Plow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)-meatplow.local...

>>> If you can ping your news provider then your access to it on port 119 is
>>> being blocked for whatever reason. Maybe try the IP address of the
>>> server
>>> instead of the name. Don't know what else I can tell you, the router may
>>> have developed a bug like mine. If any of my computers uses
>>> 192.168.1.100,
>>> there is no DNS resolution. I can type an IP into a browser and connect
>>> the host all day long, just no name resolution. However if I use
>>> 192.168.1.99 or less or 192.168.1.101 or greater, DNS works fine. There
>>> are no access restriction set up for that or any IP addresses so it's a
>>> bug. Hope you figure it out.
>>>

>> Thanks for the input. The odd thing is, that tonight (now 18.10 - I have
>> NNTP access!)

> Murphy's law invoked

ROTFL!

Gordon

news:46362501$0$97221$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> Gordon wrote:
>
>> The odd thing is, that tonight (now 18.10 - I
>> have NNTP access!)

> You fixed it

The problem being, I'm not quite sure what I did....

Lionel

************************************************** *******************
>>> In the last few weeks, I haven't seen you identify a single sock
>>> correctly.

>> That implies that you actually know the true identities of any of the
>> same socks. You obviously don't, because you've made it painfully
>> obvious that you don't have the faintest idea how to detect them in
>> the first place.

************************************************** *******************

Hm, no comment from Rodenta. I wonder why?

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk - Summary of a wasted life:
no job
can't afford to eat
can't afford meds
no money
broken tooth
panick attacks
hatred of auk
haterd of ex bf
you sex life with ex bf
you ex bf never caring for you
ex-hubby pinning **** on you
ex-hubby giving you razors
sexaul abuse\molestations
beat up by father
DID
hyperthyroid
tity grab
' in the depths of despair '
loonatic vists to analysts
upset
google stacking teh dog****er
suicide threats and police
dont wear panties
failed marriages
cant pay bills
ruined credit
seasonal disorder
lost friends
chain smoking
old lovers
daughter in jail told in soc.mens
molested by wimmin told in soc.mens
rape told in soc.mens
dead friends
mommas menopause at 60

' I also have other "defects" that might be considered "mental illness."
I've talked about them in other places--schizoid symptoms, autistic symptoms
'

' I've been forged. I've been frogged. I'm recently getting a load of
viruses and the product of countless Asian mailing lists in my spam each
day. Someone even went to the trouble of creating a gmail account just
to send me an extremely offensive about child incest. '

' I can't drive my car--no license, no registration. I can't drive it at
night because of the deer (the light is broken, and I don't want a ticket)
and I can't afford the insurance deductible And a whole long list of things
that have just gone from bad to worse '

yep not *all* only one

kim is right you barf your life on teh usenets

--
W "Some people are alive only because it is illegal to kill them."
. | ,. w ,

Rhonda Lea Kirk

"Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:f159sa$d3v$(E-Mail Removed)
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:07:17 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spat on Rhonda Lea Kirk, then wrote:
>
>> "Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:f1578b$6ak$(E-Mail Removed)
>>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 12:47:12 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"

> ************************************************** *******************
>>>
>>> That implies that you actually know the true identities of any of
>>> the same socks. You obviously don't, because you've made it
>>> painfully obvious that you don't have the faintest idea how to
>>> detect them in the first place.

> ************************************************** *******************
>
> Hm, no comment from Rodenta. I wonder why?

I do know the true identities of some of the socks you identified as
being Bowtie and Miguel...and me, for that matter.

Rob Wolfe is about as transparent as it gets, and you blew that when you
tried to attribute the AOK to someone else entirely.

As for any others, further deponent sayeth not.

> --
> Rhonda Lea Kirk - Summary of a wasted life:
> no job
> can't afford to eat
> can't afford meds
> no money
> broken tooth
> panick attacks
> hatred of auk
> haterd of ex bf
> you sex life with ex bf
> you ex bf never caring for you
> ex-hubby pinning **** on you
> ex-hubby giving you razors
> sexaul abuse\molestations
> beat up by father
> DID
> hyperthyroid
> tity grab
> ' in the depths of despair '
> loonatic vists to analysts
> upset
> google stacking teh dog****er
> suicide threats and police
> dont wear panties
> failed marriages
> cant pay bills
> ruined credit
> seasonal disorder
> lost friends
> chain smoking
> old lovers
> daughter in jail told in soc.mens
> molested by wimmin told in soc.mens
> rape told in soc.mens
> dead friends
> mommas menopause at 60
>
> ' I also have other "defects" that might be considered "mental
> illness." I've talked about them in other places--schizoid symptoms,
> autistic symptoms '
>
> ' I've been forged. I've been frogged. I'm recently getting a load of
> viruses and the product of countless Asian mailing lists in my spam
> each day. Someone even went to the trouble of creating a gmail
> account just
> to send me an extremely offensive about child incest. '
>
> ' I can't drive my car--no license, no registration. I can't drive it
> at night because of the deer (the light is broken, and I don't want a
> ticket) and I can't afford the insurance deductible And a whole long
> list of things that have just gone from bad to worse '
>
> yep not *all* only one
>
> kim is right you barf your life on teh usenets

--
Rhonda Lea Kirk

Some are tempted to think of life in cyberspace as insignificant,
as escape or meaningless diversion. It is not. Our experiences there
are serious play. We belittle them at our risk. Sherry Turkle

Lionel

On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:52:33 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
<(E-Mail Removed)> spat on Rhonda Lea Kirk, then wrote:

>"Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:f159sa$d3v$(E-Mail Removed)
>> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:07:17 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> spat on Rhonda Lea Kirk, then wrote:
>>
>>> "Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:f1578b$6ak$(E-Mail Removed)

>> ************************************************** *******************

>> ************************************************** *******************
>>
>> Hm, no comment from Rodenta. I wonder why?

>I do know the true identities of some of the socks you identified as
>being Bowtie and Miguel...and me, for that matter.

Sure you do, little girl. You go on telling yourself that.
Don't forget to run around screaming "NET-ABUSER!" like a headless
chicken for a few more hours, because that's *sure* to convince people
that you're an Infoomashun Soopa Freaway *EXPERT*.

--
[...]

news:f15alb$du6$(E-Mail Removed)
> On Mon, 30 Apr 2007 13:52:33 -0400, "Rhonda Lea Kirk"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> spat on Rhonda Lea Kirk, then wrote:
>
>> "Lionel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:f159sa$d3v$(E-Mail Removed)

>>> ************************************************** *******************

>>> ************************************************** *******************
>>>
>>> Hm, no comment from Rodenta. I wonder why?

>> I do know the true identities of some of the socks you identified as
>> being Bowtie and Miguel...and me, for that matter.

> Sure you do, little girl. You go on telling yourself that.
> Don't forget to run around screaming "NET-ABUSER!" like a headless
> chicken for a few more hours, because that's *sure* to convince people
> that you're an Infoomashun Soopa Freaway *EXPERT*.

Unlike you, I don't need to keep repeating what I say in the hope that
it will stick.

You are what you are, Lionel, without any help from me.