Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NNTP access - evenings

NNTP access - evenings

Gordon

For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that) I have
been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of six different
ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00 pm, including the NNTP
server supplied by the ISP I use for broadband.
The ISP says there is no problem with their network.
The router is one supplied and configured by my wife's company (Netgear
DG632). The ISP suggested that there might be a "parental control" set by
default - the IT dept of my wife's company says no. They also say that as I
don't log-on via their VPN that any other restrictions that may be in force
would not apply to me.

This is getting VERY frustrating, and I would be very pleased if someone
could come up with some ideas as to why this is happening.

Computer spec:
fresh install XP SP2 fully updated, IE7 and Office 2007
Usual anti-malware apps installed, AVG antivirus. Windows firewall
activated, router uses NATS. There are no firewall rules set up on the
router as far as I can see.
1 GB RAM, Celeron 2.6 GHz processor

thanks

Gordon

news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
> For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that) I
> have
> been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of six different
> ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00 pm,

Well I should have realised that no actual help would be forthcoming from
the Homer Simpson look-alikes in THIS group....

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Gordon wrote:

> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that)
>> I have been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of
>> six different ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00
>> pm,

> Well I should have realised that no actual help would be forthcoming from
> the Homer Simpson look-alikes in THIS group....

Yeah, that's the attitude.

So, can you then connect to one of/all your nntp server(s) at 11:05 PM?
11:01 PM? If so, it sounds very much like parental control.

You said, "The router is one supplied and configured by my wife's
company". Have you logged in to the router settings and checked?

Try to connect after removing the router from the mix.

--
-bts

Gordon

news:_glZh.389517$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gordon wrote:
>
>> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>> For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that)
>>> I have been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of
>>> six different ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00
>>> pm,

>> Well I should have realised that no actual help would be forthcoming from
>> the Homer Simpson look-alikes in THIS group....

> Yeah, that's the attitude.
>
> So, can you then connect to one of/all your nntp server(s) at 11:05 PM?
> 11:01 PM? If so, it sounds very much like parental control.

Well that's what I thought initially, but the IT dept of the company say "no
there aren't any".

> You said, "The router is one supplied and configured by my wife's
> company". Have you logged in to the router settings and checked?

yes - there's no firewall rules set up as far as I can see, and the manual
mentions nothing about parental controls of any sort.

> Try to connect after removing the router from the mix.

can't unfortunately - it's a router/modem and we have no spare......

Mike Easter

Gordon wrote:
> For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that)
> I have been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of
> six different ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00
> pm, including the NNTP server supplied by the ISP I use for broadband.

You are currently posting to an eclipse.uk newsserver via an eclipse
connectivity.

> The ISP says there is no problem with their network.
> The router is one supplied and configured by my wife's company
> (Netgear DG632).

What does that mean? Does that mean that is the router you have been
using for a long time? Longer than the two or so weeks that you have
been having the problem? Or does that mean that you recently acquired
the router from the company and then you started having the problem when
you installed the router?

> The ISP suggested that there might be a "parental
> control" set by default - the IT dept of my wife's company says no.

Some control in the router would be an excellent mechanism for the
problem, but it would be more likely that a company router would be set
to control newsserver access during the daytime than at night. My
router knows what time it is, and can be configured as to how it
determines the time; it can be set manually or it can obtain its time
from from the computer or NIST. If your router is configured with the
wrong time and if the company had configured it for blocking access to
newsservers during the daytime, that might explain a problem if the
problem arose when you acquired the router.

> They also say that as I don't log-on via their VPN that any other
> restrictions that may be in force would not apply to me.

You haven't described how it is that you use your wife's company's
router to access the internet or newsservers.

--
Mike Easter

Gordon

news:4635eae8$0$97271$(E-Mail Removed) reenews.net...
> Gordon wrote:
>> For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that)
>> I have been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of
>> six different ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00
>> pm, including the NNTP server supplied by the ISP I use for broadband.

> You are currently posting to an eclipse.uk newsserver via an eclipse
> connectivity.

Correct - I can do so during the day.

>> The ISP says there is no problem with their network.
>> The router is one supplied and configured by my wife's company
>> (Netgear DG632).

> What does that mean? Does that mean that is the router you have been
> using for a long time? Longer than the two or so weeks that you have
> been having the problem? Or does that mean that you recently acquired
> the router from the company and then you started having the problem when
> you installed the router?

We had a replacement Router just over three months ago - the DLink we had
originally was hit by a power surge during a storm and was replaced by this
Netgear. I'm not entirely sure how long this problem has been going on, it
MAY have been in existence since the installation of the new router (they
come pre-configured from my wife's company), but I can't be sure as I don't
access news groups dring the evening on a consistent basis.

>> The ISP suggested that there might be a "parental
>> control" set by default - the IT dept of my wife's company says no.

> Some control in the router would be an excellent mechanism for the
> problem, but it would be more likely that a company router would be set
> to control newsserver access during the daytime than at night. My
> router knows what time it is, and can be configured as to how it
> determines the time; it can be set manually or it can obtain its time
> from from the computer or NIST. If your router is configured with the
> wrong time and if the company had configured it for blocking access to
> newsservers during the daytime, that might explain a problem if the
> problem arose when you acquired the router.

I can't see any time in the router, but I don't like to delve too deeply
incase someting goes wrong, as it's not mine!

>> They also say that as I don't log-on via their VPN that any other
>> restrictions that may be in force would not apply to me.

> You haven't described how it is that you use your wife's company's
> router to access the internet or newsservers.

The modem/router is plugged via a patch cable into a Netgear switch.
Connected to the switch are my wife's laptop, my desktop, a wireless access
point for my laptop and a print server.

> --
> Mike Easter

Whiskers

On 2007-04-30, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> "Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed). uk...
>> For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that) I
>> have
>> been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of six different
>> ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00 pm,

> Well I should have realised that no actual help would be forthcoming from
> the Homer Simpson look-alikes in THIS group....

Wow! You waited a whole 2 hours? Give it a few days, this isn't a chat
room it's usenet; some people actually like to think and research before
venturing a response - once they've read the question, which might not
happen for a while (incredibly, there are still a few people out there
somewhere who aren't reading this newsgroup all the time; I've heard there
are even some who don't fetch new messages more than once a day, if that).

--
-- ^^^^^^^^^^
-- Whiskers

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Gordon wrote:

> The modem/router is plugged via a patch cable into a Netgear switch.
> Connected to the switch are my wife's laptop, my desktop, a wireless
> access point for my laptop and a print server.

My next (or probably my first) troubleshooting step would be to
configure your wife's laptop to access one or more of your newsservers,
and see if *it* fails during the same time your computer fails to
connect.

Obviously then, if it fails, it is the router causing the problem. If
not, it is your computer.

--
-bts

Mike Easter

Gordon wrote:
> "Mike Easter"
>> Gordon wrote:
>>> For the last couple of weeks (and it may have been longer than that)
>>> I have been unable to connect to ANY NNTP server on port 119 out of
>>> six different ones subscribed to between 5.30 pm (approx) and 11.00
>>> pm, including the NNTP server supplied by the ISP I use for
>>> broadband.

>>> The router is one supplied and configured by my wife's company
>>> (Netgear DG632).

> We had a replacement Router just over three months ago - the DLink we
> had originally was hit by a power surge during a storm and was
> replaced by this Netgear. I'm not entirely sure how long this problem
> has been going on, it MAY have been in existence since the
> installation of the new router (they come pre-configured from my
> wife's company), but I can't be sure as I don't access news groups
> dring the evening on a consistent basis.

>> it would be more likely that a company router would be
>> set to control newsserver access during the daytime than at night.
>> My router knows what time it is, and can be configured as to how it
>> determines the time;

> I can't see any time in the router, but I don't like to delve too
> deeply incase someting goes wrong, as it's not mine!

There are .pdf install and manual at netgear
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/dg...tall_guide.pdf
ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/dg632_manual.pdf

.... but if you are afraid to look in or unable to login or change any
configuration, then I suppose you will just live with whatever the
router might be doing.

> The modem/router is plugged via a patch cable into a Netgear switch.
> Connected to the switch are my wife's laptop, my desktop, a wireless
> access point for my laptop and a print server.

I see.

So you are using a borrowed router/modem that might be configured to
prohibit newsserver access at night, but you don't do that night news
access very often anywat, so you were just curious, but you won't be
able to do anything about it anyway.

Does that about cover it?

--
Mike Easter

Gordon

news:KrmZh.389833$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Gordon wrote:
>
>> The modem/router is plugged via a patch cable into a Netgear switch.
>> Connected to the switch are my wife's laptop, my desktop, a wireless
>> access point for my laptop and a print server.

> My next (or probably my first) troubleshooting step would be to
> configure your wife's laptop to access one or more of your newsservers,
> and see if *it* fails during the same time your computer fails to
> connect.

I get the same problem on my laptop as well as the desktop, so that part of
the troubleshooting is done. the thing is, I can't see ANY settings in the
router that would disable NNTP access on a timed basis....and my wife's IT
dept tells me there aren't any....