Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New node has appeared in my network connections

New node has appeared in my network connections

hhhh

I had a look at my Network places and a new node has appeared. I have a LAN
with 3 other computers on it but this one has appeared out of the blue. It's
called "Steves" and when clicked on leads to a " Jimmyspleasure" drive, when
I click on that it goes to "Downloads", "My Music" and "Printers". When I
open up the "Music", there's a load of Music Albums in there. So I moved a
couple over!! In my network places rather than saying "Local network" it
says "Internet connection". It's obviously of some concern. My system has
Windows firewall up and running on all the computers, it also has Avast anti
virus running. Could it be that someone has brought a WiFi enabled laptop
into my vicinity or is it something more sinister?

meerkat

"hhhh" <c@b> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had a look at my Network places and a new node has appeared. I have a LAN
> with 3 other computers on it but this one has appeared out of the blue.
> It's
> called "Steves" and when clicked on leads to a " Jimmyspleasure" drive,
> when
> I click on that it goes to "Downloads", "My Music" and "Printers". When I
> open up the "Music", there's a load of Music Albums in there. So I moved a
> couple over!! In my network places rather than saying "Local network" it
> says "Internet connection". It's obviously of some concern. My system has
> Windows firewall up and running on all the computers, it also has Avast
> anti
> virus running. Could it be that someone has brought a WiFi enabled laptop
> into my vicinity or is it something more sinister?

Get the music while you can <g>.

Mr. Arnold

"hhhh" <c@b> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I had a look at my Network places and a new node has appeared. I have a LAN
> with 3 other computers on it but this one has appeared out of the blue.
> It's
> called "Steves" and when clicked on leads to a " Jimmyspleasure" drive,
> when
> I click on that it goes to "Downloads", "My Music" and "Printers". When I
> open up the "Music", there's a load of Music Albums in there. So I moved a
> couple over!! In my network places rather than saying "Local network" it
> says "Internet connection". It's obviously of some concern. My system has
> Windows firewall up and running on all the computers, it also has Avast
> anti
> virus running. Could it be that someone has brought a WiFi enabled laptop
> into my vicinity or is it something more sinister?

If you have wireless and it's not protected, the machines are sharing
resources, then sure a machine can be hacked. What XP O/S(s) do you have
Home or Pro?

You got a wireless network using a router? Have you done anything to secure
the wireless?

http://compnetworking.about.com/od/w...fisecurity.htm

The advise is not bullet proof but it's better than nothing.

To help prevent as much as possible the Windows O/S from being compromised
in this situation, you have to *harden* the O/S to attack.

http://labmice.techtarget.com/articl...ychecklist.htm

If using the Windows FW, then you need to configure the Windows FW to only
to allow specified LAN IP(s) that can access the machines. That would be the
three IP(s) that your machines have in use, blocking all other LAN IP(s) on
your router from accessing the machines, which a hacker could use one of the
other LAN IP(s) to access your machines.

Leythos

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 18:33:08 +0000, meerkat wrote:

> "hhhh" <c@b> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I had a look at my Network places and a new node has appeared. I have a LAN
>> with 3 other computers on it but this one has appeared out of the blue.
>> It's
>> called "Steves" and when clicked on leads to a " Jimmyspleasure" drive,
>> when
>> I click on that it goes to "Downloads", "My Music" and "Printers". When I
>> open up the "Music", there's a load of Music Albums in there. So I moved a
>> couple over!! In my network places rather than saying "Local network" it
>> says "Internet connection". It's obviously of some concern. My system has
>> Windows firewall up and running on all the computers, it also has Avast
>> anti
>> virus running. Could it be that someone has brought a WiFi enabled laptop
>> into my vicinity or is it something more sinister?
>>

> Get the music while you can <g>.

LOL - He's got a wireless network router on his home network and he didn't
lock it down so his neighbor is using his wireless and his neighbor is too
stupid to have locked down his computer

*** WARNING - this links contains foul/pornographic content of an
website ***
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/leythos.htm
http://www.pcbutts1.com/downloads/bughunter.htm